Dragon Age III: Inquisition

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
Just been announced by EA and BioWare, the third game in the Dragon Age series has been confirmed.

From EA
EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), today announced Dragon Age? 3: Inquisition, the next chapter in the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) franchise, is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. Coming in late 2013, Dragon Age 3: Inquisition combines the storytelling legacy BioWare is known for, with deep RPG gameplay, all on a brand new RPG game engine underpinned by EA?s critically-acclaimed Frostbite? 2 technology.

?The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition for almost two years now?
?The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition for almost two years now,? said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. ?We?ve been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans. They haven?t held back, so we?re not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they?re asking for ? a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral.?

Added Flynn, ?At the same time, we know we need new technology to truly make this vision become fully realized. And we?ve been working with DICE to make Frostbite 2 the foundation for the engine that is going to power Dragon Age 3.?

The Dragon Age franchise has received over 80 awards from critics around the world, and has sold over 8 million copies to date*. Created by BioWare, the property has spawned many novels, an animated film, comic books, collectibles and more since Dragon Age: Origins launched in 2009.

For more information about Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, including updates from the development team and a letter to the fans from Executive Producer Mark Darrah, please visit the game?s official web site at http://dragonage.com. Dragon Age fans can also receive updates on Twitter? at http://twitter.com/dragonage, or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/dragonage.
EA Announcement

According to Dragon Age writer David Gaider, the story of the first game's Warden "is over" and the story of Hawke, the second game's protagonist, will continue through future Dragon Age II downloadable content, though BioWare has since announced an end to future Dragon Age II content. Therefore, like the previous games, Dragon Age III will showcase a new protagonist. It has been confirmed that the character will be fully voiced and that the dialogue wheel from Dragon Age II will return. However, in a Twitter post, BioWare employee Mike Laidlaw mentioned that playing as a different character "does not mean your old character may never appear in future games", which could indicate that the player may be able to meet their original protagonists.
Wikipedia

BioWare are still the best games company in the business and if it's as good as BioWare's recent entries of Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 (yes, I like both games. Deal with it). Will certainly enjoy the chance of playing another Dragon Age game after the amount of fun in the first two games.

Hopefully they will do another film with that red headed beauty Felicia Day.

Haven't played any of the Dragon Age games, mostly because I missed them on Steam sales.

The first one is absolutely worth getting. I haven't played the second. I like the sound of this new one and I can't wait to see what it looks like on Frostbite.

I'm staying cautious with this one. I loved the first one, but hated the second one. I even waited for the reviews, which were mostly positive, and I didn't pay attention to the outrage by fans. I should have listened to the masses of people that played the game and hated it. That said, the time spent on this third game seems to be already longer compared to what it took them to get DA:2 out, so it might turn out to be good.

This is getting some pretty good reviews currently*. I probably should wait for some of the more Cynical reviewers (cough), but so far I'm rather intrigued.

One thing I don't understand is the party system (since I never played other Dragon Age games). Can you choose all of your companions like in Neverwinter Nights for example? Or are some of the party members "forced" by the story?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review-lets-spend-some-time-together/
http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7...uisition-review-ps4-xbox-one-playstation-4-pc
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review

This is getting some pretty good reviews currently*. I probably should wait for some of the more Cynical reviewers (cough), but so far I'm rather intrigued.

One thing I don't understand is the party system (since I never played other Dragon Age games). Can you choose all of your companions like in Neverwinter Nights for example? Or are some of the party members "forced" by the story?

Some missions may require the use of a particular companion, but for the most part, you're free to choose the three (or less, if you like a challenge) that accompany you.

That sounds awesome. 59,99 ? and Origin exclusive(?) though :(

Edit: Preordered from g2play for 39?!

Last edited:
Hnnnnghghgh, so good. The next month of my life will be nothing but Dragon Age, I can feel it. I've barely even scratched it yet (at 9 hours), the first region you go to after the intro is massive and incredibly impressively the whole massive regions are entirely seamless. Though, I do have it installed on my SSD, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a little hitch loading things on a hard disk.

I wish the party controls worked like they did in Origins, but that's never going to happen again (but that's why there's games like Divinity). The tactical view is almost useless, the camera doesn't clip (understandably, that was a lot of extra work in Origins and you couldn't do that anymore with the lack of interior cells) so because of that you can't zoom out very far and the camera points straight down at max zoom out, you can't see anything and if you can't see anything how are you supposed to control anything? So, I gave up early on and am playing it like Mass Effect for the most part, mostly just letting my party do whatever the ai thinks they should and sticking to controlling my character running between trees throwing fireballs and trying not to get beat up. Oh well, the action's too fast now for micromanaged party controls anyways.

I have no idea what the multiplayer is and I don't care what it is.

Oh, also, frame rate locked at 30 in cutscenes? What? Feels so bad, man. I actually started to think my computer couldn't handle the game because of all the cutscenes early on, and then I turned on the fps counter (perfoverlay.drawfps 1) and found out the game was just being a bum. I'm not a framerate snob, but going from unlocked frames when you're fighting to a locked 30fps is very noticeable and bad looking.

Last edited:
Game is pre-loaded and release should be in 2-3 hours from now..!

I'm getting pretty hyped up for it :D

It just crashes in the main menu over and over again. :???:

Not a great first impression. I guess I'm off to updating drivers or something. NV has new Game Ready drivers for this game from the day before yesterday...

Edit: nope, still crashy on 344.75 "Dragon Age: Inquisition optimized" drivers. Just freezes in the main menu, music keeps playing for a while and the cursor moves, until the rest freezes too and has to be killed from task manager. I guess I should've expected this from a brand new release. :roll:

Last edited:
Wait... Origins had a tactical menu? I only ever used the pause screen before. I did have to swap the button for that and jump (WHAT? A BIOWARE RPG WITH JUMPING???) because I kept jumping instead of pausing to dish out commands. Ctrl for jumping is a bit awkward, but this is Dragon Age, damn it, space is used for that other thing!

I'm also loving the game so far and there's no difference in framerate between the normal stuff and cutscene conversations.

Have been trying to debug the game for the whole afternoon with no luck so far...

Made a post in EA Answers, maybe someone there has an idea.

have a really bad case of the game freezing before I can do pretty much anything. It happens in the main menu when normally the game would be interactable (click here to continue, able to browse the main menu and settings, etc.)

First the screen freezes. Music and the ambient noise keeps playing and cursor keeps moving. Then the music stops and the UI stops responding. Then the ambient noise stops. All the while the cursor still moves, and I'm able to alt-tab out and kill the game executable.

Happens on any graphics settings from all-low to ultra. Happens also on default GPU clocks and while overclocked (yes, my overcloks are also stable).

Happens no matter whether I'm using the online features or not.

Happens regardless of running as admin or not. Firewall has been checked; is open for both 32bit and 64bit executables on both public and private networks.

I'm running at 4K 60Hz on Windows 8.1 on the NVIDIA 344.75 "Dragon Age: Inquisition game ready" drivers. Hardware:

Asus P5E Deluxe

Intel Q6600 @ 3,0 GHz

4 gigs DDR2

ASUS GTX 980

When the game crashes my RAM consumption is at about ~ 75%. I know I'm on the low end on RAM but that shouldn't matter when I meet the minimum. Also, when it runs out it should start swapping anyway, and not just crash.

Also for what it's worth my setup is rock solid for all other games including Mass Effect 3.

Yes. There's no reason why I wouldn't. It works for all games. Just DA:I is broken.

Just for your sake I tried starting it in 1080p and it's just as fucking broken as it is in 4K. Just a crappier resolution until it freezes in about 30 seconds of browsing the main menu.

And changing CPU affinity to 1 core doesn't fix it either.