Dreaded cyclists

- Do NOT get next to cars on the right side, if there are cars at a red light I stop BEHIND and to the right, if late commers want to go around me they certainly have lots of space to do so.
Depending on the intersection, i would say yes or no. There is a one lane road where it split to three lane at the light and then go back to one lane. Its also a medium traffic road ( but the only road with space for bike that i can take to go to uni). Normally i go straight at that intersection so kiddle lane is where i should be and where i always go. During rush hour, i like more to get beside the first car in that lane so after i crossed the intersection as quickly as possible i can go to the bike path and let the car go while if i wait behind, i always have the impression i am going to get rear ended.

Another good tip for riding in medium to high traffic aera, make visual contact with the car behind you and signal a bit early where you are going to turn. A car driver seeing your face will know that you are going to do something. If they dont give you space, slow down and check if the other will give you space to do your turn. And please use the proper arm to signal where you are going , don't use the left arm sign for going right,m use your right arm for telling you are going right. Cause if you are turning right and already on the right side of road, car don't bother cause you wont be in their way, its mostly for cyclist behind you and pedestrian and they can see your right arm.

Depending on the intersection, i would say yes or no. There is a one lane road where it split to three lane at the light and then go back to one lane. Its also a medium traffic road ( but the only road with space for bike that i can take to go to uni). Normally i go straight at that intersection so kiddle lane is where i should be and where i always go. During rush hour, i like more to get beside the first car in that lane so after i crossed the intersection as quickly as possible i can go to the bike path and let the car go while if i wait behind, i always have the impression i am going to get rear ended.

Another good tip for riding in medium to high traffic aera, make visual contact with the car behind you and signal a bit early where you are going to turn. A car driver seeing your face will know that you are going to do something. If they dont give you space, slow down and check if the other will give you space to do your turn. And please use the proper arm to signal where you are going , don't use the left arm sign for going right,m use your right arm for telling you are going right. Cause if you are turning right and already on the right side of road, car don't bother cause you wont be in their way, its mostly for cyclist behind you and pedestrian and they can see your right arm.
i suspect no one here knows hand signals :) I dont ride for commuting so it's not too big of a deal but thanks for the info.

121023d1177299251-what-does-hand-signal-mean-universal_motorcycle_hand_signals.jpg

I don't know how well hand signals work if the people in the cars around you don't know them.

Thats why i only use two left arm parralel to ground: turning left or going left
right arm parralel to ground : turning or going right

Normally most people can understand those two, if not and they dont give space for you to make your move, then slow down and wait to have the space.

If one important thing i have learned from coaching soccer is: show your are the most intelligent of the bunch, don't do what they do.

I don't know if they still do this, but I remember being tought in elementry school all of the basic bicycle signals: left arm down to stop, left arm parallel to turn left, left arm up to turn right. Also, despite being in Florida "land of the $20 driver's lisence", it is actually required that you know these signals to get your lisence (the idea being if the turn signals in your car are blocked or otherwise inopperable). Well, that may have changed, too, in the 11 years since I got mine.

Thats why i only use two left arm parralel to ground: turning left or going left
right arm parralel to ground : turning or going right

Normally most people can understand those two, if not and they dont give space for you to make your move, then slow down and wait to have the space.

If one important thing i have learned from coaching soccer is: show your are the most intelligent of the bunch, don't do what they do.

Two reasons:
On a motoercycle your right hand is your throttle.
The hand used to signal on a bike is the one towards traffic. I've seen riders signal by sticking out their right hand and you can't see it well because its away from the side of the cycle that faces traffic.

Two reasons:
On a motoercycle your right hand is your throttle.
The hand used to signal on a bike is the one towards traffic. I've seen riders signal by sticking out their right hand and you can't see it well because its away from the side of the cycle that faces traffic.

thats why i use those signal on my bike cause my throttle is my legs so both hand are free(except if i want to brake) and because on a bike you are already on the most ride side of trafic if the car beside you dont see you signaling you are turning right, it dont matter to them cause even if they turn right, no accident should occur. So on a bike contrary to a mortobike, making a right turn cant put you in someone way ( except pedestrian). Signaling a right hand turn is mostly for other cyclist behind you who can see your right arm sticking out. But yeah on a motorbike w/o turn signal i would use the american signal.

Forgot to post this yesterday. The boss lady and I were going to get some grocery shopping done after sundown. We come up to a fairly busy intersection with a road wide enough to be a 2 lane in each direction (though its a one lane) and the car in front of us indicates left so we get next to him (not sure of the legality of such a move but its normal and the fuzz doesn't seem to care) so we are standing at a red waiting for it to change. Light changes and we start moving when a moron on a pedalbike flys by in front of us on a red on the frigging crosswalk. Lucky for him my fiancee was driving and she takes off slower than I do, if it were me he'd be dead, not from impact but from me beating him to death with his dumbass bicycle....

On the (pedestrian) Sidewalk today, a cyclist sqeezed past me and yelled back at me "take out your headphones, then you can hear what is going on around you". The old man (60+ I recon) was riding on the sidewalk (bike-lanes on both sides of the road were available of course) ... in the opposite direction he would have been allowed to. And actually I was being a dick ... I heard him ringing his bell behind me perfectly through the quiet music, I just decided to ignore him and kept walking in the middle of the narrow sidewalk. So I just yelled back at him "I heard you just fine" with a broad smile. His look was quite puzzled as he rode away ...
I will not be bullied by cyclists on the sidewalk ... especially not one that is even breaking more than one rule ...

Last edited:
Normally most people can understand those two ...
There's a third hand signal, even more recognizable, that I've found pretty useful when riding my motorcycle. :mrgreen:

I will not be bullied by cyclists on the sidewalk ... especially not one that is even breaking more than one rule ...
I don't mind cyclists on the sidewalk if it's a busy street with no bike lane and they're being courteous to pedestrians. Otherwise they've got no business on the sidewalk. This morning some dumbass on a cyclocross type bike tried to fly through the crowd at my bus stop. He had to stand on his brakes when he realized that ten people all weren't going to jump out of his way at once.

On the (pedestrian) Sidewalk today, a cyclist sqeezed past me and yelled back at me "take out your headphones, then you can hear what is going on around you". The old man (60+ I recon) was riding on the sidewalk (bike-lanes on both sides of the road were available of course) ... in the opposite direction he would have been allowed to. And actually I was being a dick ... I heard him ringing his bell behind me perfectly through the quiet music, I just decided to ignore him and kept walking in the middle of the narrow sidewalk. So I just yelled back at him "I heard you just fine" with a broad smile. His look was quite puzzled as he rode away ...

What is wrong with your stereo in the car?

It is against the law to drive with headphones in over here. It is really nice when somebody driving can hear what is happening around them.

What is wrong with your stereo in the car?

It is against the law to drive with headphones in over here. It is really nice when somebody driving can hear what is happening around them.
Pretty sure he was WALKING :)

Good list of simple commendement for cyclist

Dave Moulton said:
1. Pray as you cycle, but not with your hands together and your eyes closed.

2. Thou shall not run red lights, except when there is no one else around; it shall be as the tree falling silently in the forest.

3. When a motorist cuts you off, offer up the sign of the cross. One finger pointed towards Heaven will not suffice.

4. Thou shalt wave to thy fellow cyclist. If he should ignore you, offer your blessing, and not ?Fuck you, moron.?

5. If three consecutive cyclists ignore your wave, you are exempt from the forth commandment.

6. If passed while climbing a steep hill by a Fred with a 30 inch granny gear, resist the urge to wish that his chain will jump over his plastic dork disc and rip every spoke from his rear wheel.

7. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor?s ass, nor his six-pack abs, or any other part of his body.

8. Before the sun sets on the Sabbath, thou shalt shave your legs.

9. The meek shall inherit the earth. Blingy equipment that is lighter than an anorexic butterfly, will not substitute for miles in your legs.

10. Thou shalt not lie. Thou shalt not go on Internet forums under a pseudonym and boast how you blew all your friends away on an 8,000-foot climb, when the biggest hill in your area is a bridge over the freeway.

Typical pedalbikist - no lights, no helmet, no visible front or rear reflectors, no turn signal or gesture - probably will be wondering why nobody sees him when he gets run over by a municipal bus at night.

Over here it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk whichever way. I prefer bicycles on the sidewalk than on the road holding up traffic. One rule is that pedestrians have right of way. I ride my bicycle on a major sidewalk to work. I slow down and stop for pedestrians.

I nearly ran over a cyclist about a month ago. He was stopped at an intersection, on the footpath, waiting for the lights to change (to cross in front of me) or so I thought. My light was red but we are allowed to turn right on a red light here so I looked at him, saw that he was chatting away to the pedestrian next to him, checked left for any traffic and was about to turn when, despite the fact that the pedestrian crossing light was red (and had remained that way since the crossing traffics' was green when I got there), he decided to cross and I got yelled at....I thought if you're riding a bike on the footpath, you're counted as a pedestrian and had to follow their rules :blink:

The other night I was driving and I saw a pedalbikist with a tail light on. At first I was like, what's this? a bycyclist actually doing it right for once?! not bad...

But then he immediately proceded to run a stop sign. And then another stop sign. And when I passed him, I noticed in my mirror that he didn't have a headlight.

doing one thing right is not an excuse for doing everything else wrong! :hammer: