Dreaded cyclists

It's been a while, but IIRC, London has a regulation where you can't drive on empty parking spots with a big fine. So he couldn't have done that either.

Also, keep in mind the guy's camera is distorting a lot so distances aren't accurate - AND he admitted he was in the middle of the road on the audio.

Cadillac driver was within his rights as he can and did overtake safely. Bicyclist was being 'special' and taking two lanes, screw him. "Oh, I'm afraid of a door" - then change lanes, idiot. It's what we motorcyclists have to do, you shouldn't get a free pass.

If you consider overtaking with no margin to the overtakee safe, sure :rolleyes:

Which lane should he change to in a one-lane road?

If you consider overtaking with no margin to the overtakee safe, sure :rolleyes:

Which lane should he change to in a one-lane road?

Wasn't a one lane road, look at the road markings at intersections. Also, were it a one lane, common courtesy (and around here actual practice) says he should pull over and let faster traffic pass at the first opportunity. Which he didn't.

Wasn't a one lane road, look at the road markings at intersections. Also, were it a one lane, common courtesy (and around here actual practice) says he should pull over and let faster traffic pass at the first opportunity. Which he didn't.

The intersections are two-wide on the entry, yeah, to allow turning cars to wait for pedestrians and not block straight driving cars - which is where the Caddy should have overtaken, like 50m later.

However, the road itself is a one-lane one-way street. Look at the narrow gaps around the Caddy before the overtake, it barely fits on its own.

I'd like to see a car in the lane next to that Caddy :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Again, cars and cicycles are not meant to be together on the same roads. We can't help it, but we should try to divide the two streams of traffic.

There is more: there is no dialogue between road design, car production and users; it's like everyone is thinking for himself all the time. The cars are getting bigger and bigger, the governments (at all levels) want to favour cycling and slow mobility and keep narrowing the roads down even more than the sheer size of the vehicles is doing alone, the traffic of all kind ("hey, I'm working here!") is increasing and the speed, acceleration and braking differential between the vehicles will push the car, any car, to overtake (that's basic psychology).

The results are in this video. That is not a strange event, that is common practice. I see situations like that (except the hit, of course) multiple times every day. If you don't, it's because I live in a city with narrower roads than you are. You probably will see that happening too in future, believe me.

The cyclist (which is too angry with the whole world and a bit self-righteous, in my opinion) is riding to avoid car doors (how can you blame him?), the driver (which is a bit in a hurry-up disposition - but hey, what do you expect to find in a caffeine-rushed world with an efficiency-frenzy?) is quite bad at choosing his time and is not that confident with his ridiculously big vehicle, but is not driving unsafely and is actually trying to avoid endangerments, as you can see from the first part of the video.

The point is: the cyclist is so slower (and he's a fast cyclist - imagine the scene with a slow-moving old lady) that the car will try to overtake him, at some point. The road is narrow, though, so the manoeuvering space is small, and even when the intention is clearly not-endangering, the resulting action might not be. Because human beings are fallible.

In other words: s**t happens. And since the margins for these kind of things are being reduced (for all the idiotic reasons) more and more, this will tend to happen more and more frequently as time will go on.

What will our governments do? They will react by slowing down the cars even more, narrowing down the streets even more, creating wider cycling boxes and lanes and raise the legislative rights of cyclists so much as to become unfair to other road users. In the name of safety (psychological and ideological safety), the roads will be set to cycling speed. But the cars will still be produced and sold to have that dominant, performant, lumbering characteristics that will make them a hell in city traffic. Because they sell what our psychology makes us want to buy. And the world itself will require [crazy mode]SPPEEEEEEEED!!!![/crazy mode]. So we will found ourselves in a very pretty schizophrenic world of anxiety, frustration and angryness ("they freaking clog up the road!" - "You arrogant motorized nazi!" - "meatbag" - "mofo!" - or just listen to what they say in the video...).

Shouldn't we rethink a whole lot of our ways of moving around?

Shouldn't we rethink a whole lot of our ways of moving around?

Yup. Vehicle drivers (of which I am one) need to chill out, develop patience and remember they are driving a potentially lethal weapon. And cyclists (of which I am one) need to chill out and stop being so self righteous.

But it is a problem that is not going to go away, at least not soon, and until then we have to co-exist and remember that everyone has the same right to use the roads.

Basic logic, 5,000lb truck, 200lb human, human needs to stfu and get out of the way of the truck.

This man speaks the truth.

Don't put yourself in harms way => don't become a stain on the asphalt.
You don't feel safe on the road because the big bad trucks pass you to close? Or people open their doors? Or the sky might fall down? Stop whining and STAY OFF THE ROAD.

It's not fucking rocket science.

Btw, I wonder what would have happened if the guy in the Escalade would have been driving a prius or something else that lycra wearing cycling lot approves of and had passed him that 'close' (which it really was not), I doubt there would have been any problem then, them all being friends of mother Gaia and all.....

Last edited:

Bullshit, your safety is your own responsibility. If I hit a cyclist I will have a dented body panel and at worst a suspended license (not very likely), worst case scenario of the meatbag includes death.

Remember legal retribution for the guilty party is a cold comfort when you are in a coma or dead, as an example a friend of a friend got hit with a bus, bus ran a red light. I'm sure the driver is likely to see jail time and she might even get some money if she sues the MTA, yet her shattered pelvis, a few months in a hospital and all the time it will take for her to fully heal is really really not worth it. And the only reason is same exact type of thinking that you are showing "but it was my right of way", yeah bus didn't give a damn...

Last edited:
Nope... the one who poses the biggest threat is the one who needs to keep the threat in check.

- - - Updated - - -

indeed. because if we were to follow that logic, everybody should be driving a friggin tank...
Nope, you are both 100% wrong. Like I said your own safety is your own concern don't expect anyone else to give a damn. When I drive or walk or bike (yeah I bike imagine that) I expect no one to see me and everyone to do w/e they please with no regard for any other road users. So far it has been working out quite well for me...

This BTW is what they teach you in both driver's ed and motorcycle handbook, in fact the latter basically says "ride as if you assume everyone is out to get you"

- - - Updated - - -

...through a pedestrian-only zone, because those with the most to lose will gladly make way for your tank.

If you saw a tank barreling down on you would you move out of the way or would you go "well I have the right to be here so I'm not moving"?

Last edited:
that is simply the other side of the issue o_O of course i drive/ride like everyone is out to get me, but i don't drive my car thinking "that cyclist deserves to be run over because he's a squishy idiot" (which alarmingly seems to be a very common train of thought)

to clarify, this is what we are referring to:
Basic logic, 5,000lb truck, 200lb human, human needs to stfu and get out of the way of the truck.

that statement makes it look like you think it's the truck-drivers good right to run over anything smaller...

Last edited:
that is simply the other side of the issue o_O of course i drive/ride like everyone is out to get me, but i don't drive my car thinking "that cyclist deserves to be run over because he's a squishy idiot" (which alarmingly seems to be a very common train of thought)

to clarify, this is what we are referring to:

that statement makes it look like you think it's the truck-drivers good right to run over anything smaller...
Then I either didn't express myself properly or you (and narf) misunderstood what I was saying. I don't mean that the bigger vehicle can drive as it pleases but when it comes down to basic physics the bigger vehicle is always at an advantage. This holds true for everything on the road including other cars, if something like an Escalade is going to attempt to cut me off when I'm in my little Z I will let them whether they are right or not.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 12716

She?s not moving. And she?s a hero.
And if the tank didn't turn he would have been just so much blood on the pavement, not to mention that IIRC nothing really came out of it and the Chinese government still did what it was going to regardless. Either way a protest like that has very little to do with a normal situation that narf and eizbaer are talking about.

Then I either didn't express myself properly or you (and narf) misunderstood what I was saying. I don't mean that the bigger vehicle can drive as it pleases but when it comes down to basic physics the bigger vehicle is always at an advantage. This holds true for everything on the road including other cars, if something like an Escalade is going to attempt to cut me off when I'm in my little Z I will let them whether they are right or not.

In any overtaking situation - car vs bike, bike vs car, car vs car, bike vs bike, etc. - you should not overtake if there isn't enough room for you, the other guy, and reasonable margin between you and to either side. That's just common traffic sense. Even if the guy in front of you is slow, that doesn't give you the right to infringe on the other vehicle's freedom.

In any overtaking situation - car vs bike, bike vs car, car vs car, bike vs bike, etc. - you should not overtake if there isn't enough room for you, the other guy, and reasonable margin between you and to either side. That's just common traffic sense. Even if the guy in front of you is slow, that doesn't give you the right to infringe on the other vehicle's freedom.

Yep I agree with that, however definition of enough room is vastly different, there was plenty of room in this case, he didn't touch the bike nor was he in any danger of touching the bike assuming the bike kept going straight and didn't veer.

The basic point I'm trying to make here is that the smaller vehicle generally has more to lose than the bigger one due to simple physics, being righteous is not enough protection from a couple of tons of metal.

Last edited:
Yep I agree with that, however definition of enough room is vastly different, there was plenty of room in this case, he didn't touch the bike nor was he in any danger of touching the bike assuming the bike kept going straight and didn't veer.

If the bicyclist can touch the main vehicle then the mirrors almost touched the bicyclist. That's too close.