Dreaded cyclists

*laughs*

You know what I mean! I hope...:p

If they hadn't gone with the crazy plan for "Bike Boulevard"...we'd still have all 6 lanes. I sat in on two of the city council meetings that discussed the bike lane plan. And the parking lane part was added at the very end.

Thats why I blame them. ;)

What you said was "Last year here in Columbus, City Council had the brilliant idea to take West Broad (State Route 40), which is normally a 6 lane very busy main road...and reduce it to ONE useable lane! For bikes." when in fact the bike-related reductions are fairly small. Additionally, your previous-figure of six considers both directions while the after-figure only considers one direction. Guilty of misrepresentation of facts on two counts :tease:

What you said was "Last year here in Columbus, City Council had the brilliant idea to take West Broad (State Route 40), which is normally a 6 lane very busy main road...and reduce it to ONE useable lane! For bikes." when in fact the bike-related reductions are fairly small. Additionally, your previous-figure of six considers both directions while the after-figure only considers one direction. Guilty of misrepresentation of facts on two counts :tease:

Picky picky picky. :p

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the idea of a bike lane being added, if it really meant added. And people actually used it or needed it. And not just taking up space that used to be used by cars. In addition to the parking lane...I know, I know.

The worst part is...it's still too dangerous to use the lane like they've designed it. Which is why no one does.

If you're headed east in the bike lane and need to keep going after it ends, you're smack dab at the area where traffic merges onto 70E. And a LOT of traffic goes onto 70E. Or goes another block to merge onto 70W.

And all that traffic that was just squeezed into the one lane headed east is now spreading out to the original 3 that used to be there, because in addition to the freeway, there's a major shopping area right there.

If you're on a bike and still on the street, you're toast. And it wouldn't be your fault.

And because the city spent the money on the "Bike Boulevard Project"...there's no sidewalk to escape to. Even though I know you're not supposed to be in the sidewalk, in areas with that much traffic, a lot of people do.

The main problem is the fact that local governments use "we need stuff for cyclists" as an excuse to do retarded shit like above redesign. Like I said its not really cyclists's fault but since they are being used as an excuse they are not getting any more popular with the drivers.....

Blame city planners then :dunno: prove that American car drivers are smarter than just going "Herp Derp Cyclists :shakefist:".

Today I almost run over a cyclist, who was running a redlight on the cycle path, while I made a left-turn. I had to brake for him in the last moment, because he came speeding with about 30 km/h from the opposite direction. This meant I was a sitting duck on the road for a moment for the cars, that came to me from the other direction. When I honked, the cyclist showed me his fist in response.

And I'm getting more and more annoyed by cyclists every day, who do not use the cycle paths here, which are in perfect condition, so using them is mandatory. The other day a pair of elderly cyclists clogged the road, which is rather narrow, because there are subesquently installed cycle paths on both sides. So all the cars had to overtake them, which took some time, with cars coming from the other direction.

When I finally passed them, I couldn't help but shouting very loudly "CYCLE PATH!!!" through my open sunroof. But all I saw in the rear mirror, was a pair dumbfounded faces.

Last edited:
Blame city planners then

No. I blame cyclists for existing, hence by existing they are giving city planners an exuse to do redesigns.
Cyclists are to blame for everything, global warming, failed harvests, poverty, war, dead kittens and the fact I can't find my phone....

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it :p

Last edited:
I was driving home last night on a 4 lane stretch of road, kinda trafficy and doing 45. A cyclist was riding perfectly along the shoulder, giving me plenty of room to get around without swerving into the next lane. So right as I'm about to overtake him, what does he do? Swerves all over the lane like some drunken asshole. Hey buddy, see that cemetary to the right? Do that again and you'll be moving in.

Blame city planners then :dunno: prove that American car drivers are smarter than just going "Herp Derp Cyclists :shakefist:".
We've been developing infrastructure around the automobile for more than a half century. Our approach has created a real catch-22 when it comes to the question of bicycles. People who want to bike are deterred by hostile roads and drivers. Planners who want to create more bike-friendly areas can't get support because of the low numbers of cyclists. Unless you live in a small town full of hippies, like I do. :lol:

That is one lucky cyclist, had it been me or my dad he wouldn't have been able to pedal for the rest of his life....
Had he hit someone in better shape, the video might have been more interesting. "They cancel out" ... how ridiculous.

What a giant douche... I would have bent his bike over his head!

They cancel out? Seriously? Does he honestly think that jaywalking when there aren't any cars immediately nearby (which we all do from time to time, admit it!) is as stupid and wrong as riding your bike the wrong way, which you have to be a fucking moron among morons to do?

I saw a documentary the other day of bicycle couriers in Berlin (if a few years old) and some of them actually use a track bicycle, which have no brakes. It seems like they consider themselves some kind of freedom enthusiasts, who are happy about not following any rules. Although their lives obviously suck, because they are being exploited and live in constant mortal danger, they feel they do not wanna do anything else :rolleyes:

I take great comfort from the fact, though, that most of them don't have any health insurance. So once they crash, they're probably out of business and have to get a decent job.

Last edited:
Ohh those things have a fixed gear and as such they do have one brake.

Had he hit someone in better shape, the video might have been more interesting. "They cancel out" ... how ridiculous.
While I 100% blame the cyclist here I gotta say that when I come out into the road from behind parked car I always look BOTH ways no matter if its a one way or not and never just step out either. I see plenty of people go the wrong way on my street to not trust anyone to not fail at life.
We've been developing infrastructure around the automobile for more than a half century. Our approach has created a real catch-22 when it comes to the question of bicycles. People who want to bike are deterred by hostile roads and drivers. Planners who want to create more bike-friendly areas can't get support because of the low numbers of cyclists. Unless you live in a small town full of hippies, like I do.
Actually a very simple solution to this would be something like having registration and insurance for cyclists. This would calm down a large number of drivers and would give a good reason for the city planners to make more cyclists friendly roads. After all if they are paying to use those roads and are subject to all the same rules as other vehicles then why not?

Last edited:
Actually a very simple solution to this would be something like having registration and insurance for cyclists. This would calm down a large number of drivers and would give a good reason for the city planners to make more cyclists friendly roads. After all if they are paying to use those roads and are subject to all the same rules as other vehicles then why not?

That or, you know, automated sentry guns.

I was thinking mounted at intersections with motion sensors along the road set to activate on typical cyclistic behaviour.
Cyclist runs red light? Blam.
Cyclist drive wrong way down a street? Blam.
Cyclist refuses to use bycycle path? Blam.

The ones on cars don't need to be automated.....lets keep it interesting :p

Last edited:
The ones on cars don't need to be automated.....lets keep it interesting :p
I dunno, might have too much collateral, people can't even drive and talk on the phone at the same time, if they had to aim and operate a sentry turret as well....

Narf driving down the road? BLAM. :p