Dreaded cyclists

Your stories from deep MA always make me curious. Is it really so bad? I figure it as a good place to be. Speaking of road and traffic, better than here. Or are these just effects of my inconditionate and irrational love for things abroad?

i think she didn't mean it that way... the driving / traffic over there shouldn't be too bad, but just to be prepared and possibly avoid any problems: just ASSUME everyone's an idiot without them actually being one. that way, when occasionally one DOES show, you're not all surprised and run him over.

The everyday cyclist is always defeated by a country with. ...

ta da. ...

Hills.

My plan for better cycling. ...

1. Road fund licence - does not have to be expensive say 15 GBP paid for by electronic means or in the post office - must also pass a test
2. Cyclist licence, must learn and obey the laws
3. Cycle Id. must be displayed like a number plate
4. Third party and liability insurance is compulsory
5. Compulsory safety kit to be worn - high viz belts and BS standard cycle helmets at all times
6. Learners must have a big 'L' plate and for the first 6 months 'P' plate

There you go.

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/

Last edited:
The everyday cyclist is always defeated by a country with. ...

ta da. ...

Hills.

But on hills you can find the lycra-warrior type, whose name alone suffice to bring fear to even the bravest souls.

1. Road fund licence - does not have to be expensive say 15 GBP paid for by electronic means or in the post office - must also pass a test
5. Compulsory safety kit to be worn - high viz belts and BS standard cycle helmets at all times

There you go.

Well, some of them are actually borderline nazi, like the "P" plate :-D

However, I agree on the number plate (they existed in the past), on the insurance, on the helmet and hi-viz (or proper lights on the vehicle) and on the riding license.

Wondering where I fit into this... I cycle up hills in lycra, but certainly couldn't go up an alp, and am by no means a stick insect :lol: But I do agree on more regulation for cyclists. The ones who obey traffic laws already won't have a problem with it; it'll only piss off those who think they're above the law.

But I do agree on more regulation for cyclists. The ones who obey traffic laws already won't have a problem with it; it'll only piss off those who think they're above the law.

The regulations are there, at least over here. Many are enforced poorly though. For instance, you could bet good money on having the police check for bicycle lighting on the way to a school some time in the early autumn but never again until the next autumn. You know, even this far up north :)lol:) it does get dark in the summer as well.

Your stories from deep MA always make me curious. Is it really so bad? I figure it as a good place to be. Speaking of road and traffic, better than here. Or are these just effects of my inconditionate and irrational love for things abroad?
It's not HORRIBLE, but if you are from someplace like maybe Germany where they apparently follow traffic laws it might be rather cringeworthy (I use this as an example because most of the time when german members post stupid driver videos they have taken I cannot find where the issue is). You defiantly have to assume no one will ever indicate and will always cut you off or you will be in an accident very quickly.

It's not nearly as hectic as Italy and many other European countries. In most places, there simply isn't the population density. The only city that would be anything like European driving would be Boston.

MA driver's aren't great, hence the Masshole stereotype, but I put forward from recent experience that NY drivers are worse. Or at least more aggressive. Yes you, Prizrak :p

But on hills you can find the lycra-warrior type, whose name alone suffice to bring fear to even the bravest souls.

It does? I didn't get that memo....over here they are usualy old fat blokes who need an exuse to get away from the wife so they take up lycranazisme, they can only get up an alp if you dangle a Leffe infront of them like a donkey with a carrot in the cartoons.

It's not nearly as hectic as Italy and many other European countries. In most places, there simply isn't the population density. The only city that would be anything like European driving would be Boston.

MA driver's aren't great, hence the Masshole stereotype, but I put forward from recent experience that NY drivers are worse. Or at least more aggressive. Yes you, Prizrak :p
:p that's cuz we got places to go! (I agree though, MA drivers are less aggressive but they also seem somewhat clueless at times)

Well, some of them are actually borderline nazi, like the "P" plate :-D

However, I agree on the number plate (they existed in the past), on the insurance, on the helmet and hi-viz (or proper lights on the vehicle) and on the riding license.

who cares about the L and P plates, you're of them in no time!
i agree on the rest as well, maybe it would make certain people behave a little more responsibly. personally i wouldn't have the slightest problem with wearing proper gear (which i do most of the time anyway) and paying for a license/insurance.

however i can't see this actually happening in the foreseeable future... don't ask me why, but i imagine there are quite a few types who'd call this an outrageous idea and start burning flags over it or something :?

A few American members and myself were recently ridiculed by several European members for proposing more or less this.

A few American members and myself were recently ridiculed by several European members for proposing more or less this.
That doesn't even get down to the "OMG SOME PEOPLE CAN ONLY AFFORD TO GET AROUND ON A FREE BIKE THEY WERE GIVEN!!!!!11111oneeleve" brigade. I was having that conversation with a friend of mine and she was saying how some people can only get to work on a free bicycle provided by some program. Mind you this is upstate NY, they must be sitting at home all through the winter since there is no way to bicycle then...

Not sure how insurance + tags can't be free for the super low income if there are programs that get them free bikes?

That doesn't even get down to the "OMG SOME PEOPLE CAN ONLY AFFORD TO GET AROUND ON A FREE BIKE THEY WERE GIVEN!!!!!11111oneeleve" brigade. I was having that conversation with a friend of mine and she was saying how some people can only get to work on a free bicycle provided by some program. Mind you this is upstate NY, they must be sitting at home all through the winter since there is no way to bicycle then...

Not sure how insurance + tags can't be free for the super low income if there are programs that get them free bikes?

Such programs should actually support such ideas as licensure and tags would ensure that the bikes were being used for the intended purpose, not being sold for crack, etc., etc.

Such programs should actually support such ideas as licensure and tags would ensure that the bikes were being used for the intended purpose, not being sold for crack, etc., etc.
But crack is tasty :(

The main argument was that anything that costs money is out of the people's budgets.

But crack is tasty :(

The main argument was that anything that costs money is out of the people's budgets.

The same arguments could be used for those programs that recycle donated cars and give them to poor people. They still have to get get licensed, plated, etc., etc.

The same arguments could be used for those programs that recycle donated cars and give them to poor people. They still have to get get licensed, plated, etc., etc.
That's basically what I said. Also the same program can pay license and insurance fee for the person...

The other day, I was behind a group of lycra-wearing stick insect bicyclists who were running 3 wide down the street, with a bunch of cars cued up behind me. I say it should be ok to run those 'tards over, but the law seems to think otherwise, that it would be my fault if I made contact with them.

edit: btw, there was even a bike lane next to them, but they weren't using it.