Dreaded cyclists

1. Accept that riding on the sidewalk is not an option for cyclists when they're averaging 22 mph. It's also illegal in most towns. I hear this ridiculous argument all the time from non-cyclists.

Riding on the sidewalk is not an option, nor-should it be. However, when riding on public roads cyclists do tend to ignore the rules of the road more often than they obey them. It is gotten to the point that I notice obedient cyclists because they are an anomaly.

2. Accept that serious cycling is primarily group activity. Of course cycling groups should stay out of your way, but they do have the right to exist. There are many good reasons to ride in a group.

That is fine, I don't mind cyclists riding together. It's fun, social, and can help with motivation to exercise (something the US desperately needs). However, this is important when riding in groups:
4. Cyclists should ride single file almost always.
The only thing I would change is "almost". The law in my state is clear, cyclists MUST ride single file unless passing one another. They must also ride, "As far to the right as is practical." That means the two d-bags out of a leisurely pedal who took up the entire lane doing 10 mph and then ran a red light, causing cross traffic to stop and making me miss my light are breaking the fucking law and are the rolling embodiment of everything drivers hate about cyclists.

3. Five seconds of patience isn't going to kill you. As long as a cyclist isn't acting like a fool, chill out for a second.
Nope, and I don't have a problem with being patient, however, being stuck behind a group of cyclists doing 15 under the limit and taking up the whole road for blocks at a time is inexcusable. So is running stop signs, ignoring traffic signals, riding the wrong way up one-way streets, shouting abuse at other road users, and striking people and vehicles when they think we have not put them on a high enough pedestal.
. Endangering cyclists' lives isn't funny. A small minority of drivers dehumanize cyclists and act like insane teenagers around them. I've had crap thrown at me, people swerve towards me intentially, people blow their horn right next to me when I'm in a full tuck at 45 MPH. It's not effing funny. Remember I'm someone's dad, that I have a mortgage to pay for and a job to go to. I will get your license plate, I will call the police.
You're right, but if cyclists really cared about safety they wouldn't run stop signs, ignore signals, and try to start fights with people in a 2.5 ton vehicle when we honk at them for nearly causing a crash. If safety was that important to these cyclists, they would take more care with their own safety.

5. Yes, we know we look like dorks. Cycling clothing has evolved over ~150 years for a very specific purpose. Try riding for four hours in 80 degree heat in jeans before laughing.

No thanks, I'll stick to my leathers, crash helmet, armored gloves, and boots. It always amazes me that my motorcycle friends who cycle would never think about traveling at speed on a motorcycle without full crash gear, but are perfectly fine traveling at the same speed on their bicycle with nothing more than some lycra and a foam hat.

Last edited:
However, when riding on public roads cyclists do tend to ignore the rules of the road more often than they obey them.
Same as motorists. You just notice rule-breaking cyclists more easily from your motorist perspective because they are breaking different rules than motorists do. Please note: This is not meant as an excuse, just a statement.

The law in my state is clear, cyclists MUST ride single file unless passing one another.
You should realize that it is more difficult to pass a large group of cyclists riding single file than it is if they are riding double file - simply because when riding single file, the group is much longer and therefore requires more distance for the overtaking...
This is obviously only valid for large groups. That's why German traffic law specifically draws a line at a group size of 15 for that...

No thanks, I'll stick to my leathers, crash helmet, armored gloves, and boots. It always amazes me that my motorcycle friends who cycle would never think about traveling at speed on a motorcycle without full crash gear, but are perfectly fine traveling at the same speed on their bicycle with nothing more than some lycra and a foam hat.
I'd be perfectly fine riding my motorcycle in long/bad-weather cycle clothing at in-town speeds, except I'd like to wear thicker trousers to provide some protection against engine heat and some boots to protect my ankles in case they end up under my bike. Sadly, the law requires me to wear a helmet.
For higher speeds, I like protective clothing mostly because of the wind and weather protection it provides. The protection in case of a crash is a bonus, except for when it has the effect of getting me into hospital instead of straight into the grave.

Bicycling clothing is the way it is because it's made purpose-specific. Which means it's tight for aerodynamics, has built-in cushion for the backside, and other than that, it's basically light sportswear. All the protective measures present in motorcycling clothing are not feasible because they are too heavy/warm and/or restrict movement too much. But because cycling generally happens at lower speeds and a bicycle doesn't crush you when it falls onto you, these protective measures are not necessary anyway.

Last edited:
Same as motorists. You just notice rule-breaking cyclists more easily from your motorist perspective because they are breaking different rules than motorists do. Please note: This is not meant as an excuse, just a statement.

QFT. :nod:
also, how often are we gonna go over all this? :D

As a motorcyclist, I absolutely see automotive rule breakers. Especially since my daily driver has to be driven with such care.

You should realize that it is more difficult to pass a large group of cyclists riding single file than it is if they are riding double file - simply because when riding single file, the group is much longer and therefore requires more distance for the overtaking...
This is obviously only valid for large groups. That's why German traffic law specifically draws a line at a group size of 15 for that...

Not when they stretch from curb to median, it isn't.

Last edited:
As a motorcyclist, I absolutely see automotive rule breakers. Especially since my daily driver has to be driven with such care.

That's when you go through them maybe?

What's fun is when it's a 4-lane road, so two lanes going the current direction, there's three cyclists, and they're three abreast taking up one and a half (so really, both) lanes. Why they couldn't either be three abreast within one lane or two abreast and one behind, I do not know. They managed to do that after the road narrowed down to two lanes (with a pack of cars still stuck behind them).

I had a gaggle (4-5) cyclists blocking my entire side of the road, there was only one lane and I couldn't pass. They refused to move and I stay back for a bit to give them space. Eventually, I change down to 1st to give them an idea, still staying back. After that, I start easing towards them and flash my lights. That was finally enough for them to feel threatened enough to move.

When I ride with other people we ride side to side only when there is no traffic, we form a line when cars are coming from behind.
It depends on the people riding and their manners I guess. If there is not much traffic, okay, ride side to sied, take op the whole lane, but if there is heavy traffic and cars can't pas you,
just form a line and give them a chance, it's common decency.

When I ride drive with other people we ride drive side to side taking up both sides of the road only when there is no traffic, we form a line when cars are coming from behind.
It depends on the people riding driving and their manners I guess. If there is not much traffic, okay, ride drive side to sied[sic] on the wrong side of the road, take op the whole lane road, but if there is heavy traffic and cars can't pas you,
just form a line and give them a chance, it's common decency.

Kind of silly when you apply the same logic to other dangerous, annoying, and illegal things.

Last edited:

An incorrect one in the US at that. I can see the point if you're talking about generic observation, but helmet/dashcam filming and careful examination of the resulting video will often reveal that bicyclists here often ignore traffic laws when they feel it's inconvenient for them. They can't be held responsible unless a police officer is there to apprehend them on the scene because they carry no license plate, they get no significant penalty as riding a bicycle for some reason does not require a license, and when they hit people they don't have insurance to worry about a rate rise on.

Last edited:
6 Cylists got cleaned up here this morning

1896850_10152300166876952_403536455_n.jpg

1960047_10152300338906952_418350156_n.png

Spectre, if law abiding cyclists like the one in the video are so rare, no wonder you guys have such an opinion of cyclists in general.

He was doing okay until like just about every adult bicyclist I have seen he decided to ignore an inconvenient-to-him traffic law. So, yes, one that is *actually* law-abiding is so rare that I am suspecting it is a myth perpetrated by bicyclists.

He was doing okay until like just about every adult bicyclist I have seen he decided to ignore an inconvenient-to-him traffic law. So, yes, one that is *actually* law-abiding is so rare that I am suspecting it is a myth perpetrated by bicyclists.

That's the crux of the problem right there, every cyclist I ever seen follows the rules up until it's an inconvenience for them. They basically act like pedestrians when it's convenient for them but still yell about how they should have the same rights that other vehicles do. Pick one buddy, either you are a vehicle and then obey all the same rules or you are not then you have no rights...

The Audi's behaviour makes no sense whatsoever.

--

On the other point, my experience with cyclists is that I look in amazement every time I see a cyclist respect all the rules of the road, like it was a Dodo. And I hope every time they won't end up the same way as Dodos.

Last edited: