Drift gang leader, 19 others arrested

Censport

Car(s)
Xterra, '63 Corvair, '06 Yamaha FZ6
Drift gang leader, 19 others arrested
Tuesday 04th August, 08:45 AM JST

(Article too short to excerpt.)

TOKYO ? The leader of a gang of drifters, Tetsuya Okajima, 40, and 19 other drift racers have been arrested, police said Monday. Police said they had also ascertained the identity of a total of 84 drift racers.

The 20 have been charged with dangerous driving by the traffic enforcement bureau of the Metropolitan Police Department. According to police, Okajima was the leader of the hotrodding gang known as the ?Blacks,? and is an influential member in the drifter world.

Okajima was quoted as saying: ?No matter how many times you arrest me, I?m still going to cruise on public roads.?

The group was arrested for drifting in four vehicles around 1:30 a.m. some mornings at Oi Pier in Tokyo?s Ota Ward since May.

Source: Japan Today

As usual, the reader comments are... entertaining.

As ancient proverb say, you can only run for a certain amount of time before the VTEC of a Tokyo PD Civic kicks in...

...yo

oh, and whoever made the Swiss Toni comment must be from here, surely.

Last edited:
cbs.troubby.21360.dd.jpg

This guy could not be reached for comment.

They got arrested for drifting on a pier? Though I gotta say Japan actually has drift circuits that are open to the public so really not much reason to do that on public street.

*waits for flood of FnF photo manips etc*

EDIT: One of the comments, I agree with it so much.

smithinjapan at 12:25 PM JST - 4th August

Well, now we have the plot for Fast and Furious 5.

Last edited:
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DK, how could you get yourself caught?!?!?

and with that, my 2000th post is done.

"Oh shit! We got cops, cops, cops, cops!"
"There were mass cops out there, that shit was orchestrated."

Simple fix. Get some volunteers, close a street with water barriers at night, job done.

I mean seriously. If it's that big of a problem...

This is such contrast to the Japanese racing clubs of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Night_Club

(Above) What they did was illegal and they knew it, but the did it in such a responsible and organized way that they posed no threat to motorists. Their rules even stretched that if anyone was injured, their group would be disbanded immediately and forever. This however is just retarded, being 40 years old and yet trying to be a street racer is immature and if you're still saying things like 'I'll still be cruising the streets' when arrested then I think it's time to grow up.

What exacly was wrong with a racetrack?

This is such contrast to the Japanese racing clubs of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Night_Club

(Above) What they did was illegal and they knew it, but the did it in such a responsible and organized way that they posed no threat to motorists. Their rules even stretched that if anyone was injured, their group would be disbanded immediately and forever. This however is just retarded, being 40 years old and yet trying to be a street racer is immature and if you're still saying things like 'I'll still be cruising the streets' when arrested then I think it's time to grow up.

Beg to differ. If you've ever driven the Shutoko you'd know what a horrible road it is for racing - 2 lanes, no runoff, high walls on either side, blind turns, confusing, low speed limit etc. I believe they also raced through the tunnel under Tokyo Bay, not a good place for a crash.

The drifters usually run in industrial areas that have no traffic (people are spread around the area which is usually just around the block or up and down a street - easy to control), or sometimes gain entry into toll roads that are closed (some are only open during the day). Pseudo track day. Not really condoning this, but no traffic is safer than public roads.

The only reason this is being reported is because the police do very little to control street racing in the first place.

Sorry, I'm too serious

tokyo-drift-3.jpg

Edit:
lol at drift "gang".

The Japanese word kumi (gumi) can mean group but is also used for gang, can be translated either way.
Yamaguchi-gumi

GD3762812@Members-of-the-Yakuza-6921.jpg

Last edited:
however is just retarded, being 40 years old and yet trying to be a street racer is immature and if you're still saying things like 'I'll still be cruising the streets' when arrested then I think it's time to grow up.

Yes. When I used to street race, there were the few men who were WAAAAY past their prime hanging out with 17-25 year olds. Kind of pitiful, actually. I myself stopped at age 25.

I call it the "Uncle Rico Syndrome". Trying to live in the past, trying to recreate a memory that has long since vanished.

Don't be an Uncle Rico.

"Shit."
"What?"
"Rollers."
"No!"
"Yeah."
"Shit."
74_dodge_monaco_blues_brothers_setpic.jpg

Who's brave enough to drift one? :lol:

Don't be an Uncle Rico.
I'm going to remember that one. There's always ... older guys around here on the weekends that have entirely too much money put into their cars. Kind of takes the fun out of things. Although watching them try to pick up girls or try to goad a 17 second Honda into a race is pretty funny.

Beg to differ. If you've ever driven the Shutoko you'd know what a horrible road it is for racing - 2 lanes, no runoff, high walls on either side, blind turns, confusing, low speed limit etc. I believe they also raced through the tunnel under Tokyo Bay, not a good place for a crash.

Oh....