• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Driven: Bugatti Veyron

Overheat

Forum Addict
So you think you know fast? The 1,000bhp Veyron raises the bar in the world of exotic sports cars and is, says our man, an entirely new driving experience. But is it the finest car ever built?

Read more here:
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2005/B/bugatti/veyron.html

05-veyron-dust-f3q-a.jpg
05-veyron-dust-f-a.jpg

05-veyron--key-det.jpg
05-veyron-eng-det.jpg

I'm very sceptical of the acceleration times.

How can it accelerate as fas as a F1 car when it weighs twice as much and only has 200 more hp? I don't think 4wd can make up that difference.

^ The AWD is making the difference - an F1 car's acceleration is severly limited by it's grip from a standing start, it just can't use all of it's power in a 0-62mph stretch (in fact I recall reading that an F1 car can't use all it's power below 160km/h - below that speed the traction control is constantly having to reduce power)

FWIW I believe those times - with that much power and AWD those times seem believable. As for the car itself, well, my feelings are well known. But the second-last paragraph in that story sums it up perfectly.

nobody, not even McLaren has ever had the temerity to put a car on sale for anything approaching this kind of money.
"Anything approaching?" Counting inflation, I'd say the 1995 McLaren F1 was pretty damn close to 1,000,000EUR.

^ I noticed that too, and I reckon you're right Woo (whoa, I'm *agreeing* with you about something related to the Veyron :unsure:)

fbc said:
^ I noticed that too, and I reckon you're right Woo (whoa, I'm *agreeing* with you about something related to the Veyron :unsure:)
I know...I'm scared too.

Re: Driven: Bugatti Veyron

hanasand said:
Yes, it is.
While I cannot agree with you, I must say that I believe a "finest car ever built" does not exist, or at least I can't come up with one "finer."

It's statement and impact on the automotive industry makes it deserve the title,
even though I do agree that it is not quite right to brand a car as the finest ever built.

How honorable isn't this project? They spend about 5 years in the making, facing
so many problems and engineering that most would give up at a glance. But here
is a bold manufacturer brave enough to go forward with this groundbraking project
even though they always knew they wouldn't make money off it. And the process
of creating this car is what makes it different from the McLaren F1, Koenigsegg and
such. It's first intention and step was beauty, since came the speed, which is
totally different from it's competition*. And them still being able to achieve both
goals with such sucsess is just fantastic. It should be considered a gift to all car-
enthusiast out there. Bugatti sort of did this for us, and I love them for it!

(* Not truly competition as these are cars primarily built for speed and not design)

hanasand said:
(* Not truly competition as these are cars primarily built for speed and not design)

Plus, there's no way they are as reliable as a VW Golf and usable as a daily driver! The Veyron is though.

Meh, as a daily driver..?
hehe maybe, but then again, the chances are against it being used as that.

There was a huge piece on this car in a dutch newspaper today. THe car here costs 1800000 (1,8 mil) euros here, where 700000 of that goes to the dutch governement as tax.

THey said it was easier to drive than the f430, and that it wasn't really ment as a track car. There was also quite a bit on how much it weighs, which is quite alot. But it didn't relate to how it drove. Also, which i haven't really seen mentioned here was its gearbox, double clutch DSG monster of a 150-ish kg. THe reviewer said that the moments it took to change gear were that fast that he couldn't notice if the power was lacking.

Also mentioned that there were 38 buyers already, most from the US, where i could see that this car would fit in a bit more as it's riding/cruising experiance.

Dr. Woo said:
nobody, not even McLaren has ever had the temerity to put a car on sale for anything approaching this kind of money.
"Anything approaching?" Counting inflation, I'd say the 1995 McLaren F1 was pretty damn close to 1,000,000EUR.
As always, Dr. Woo is right on the money! ;)

Kip_6666 said:
Meh, as a daily driver..?
hehe maybe, but then again, the chances are against it being used as that.
It can indeed be used as a daily driver, the Veyron had to endure the same tests as any other VAG car, like the Golf for instance.
The only drawback would be the visibility, which makes it difficult to park. But other than that it's fine, according to the reviews I've read.

Kip_6666 said:
THey said it was easier to drive than the f430, and that it wasn't really ment as a track car. There was also quite a bit on how much it weighs, which is quite alot. But it didn't relate to how it drove.
German reviewers said that it is easy to drive and safe but not boring in any way. Good handling, great steering et cetera.

Kip_6666 said:
Also, which i haven't really seen mentioned here was its gearbox, double clutch DSG monster of a 150-ish kg. THe reviewer said that the moments it took to change gear were that fast that he couldn't notice if the power was lacking.
Well, duh! :roll:
The whole point of the DSG is that the shifts are seamless. And by seamless I don't mean they are really, really quick which makes you think they are seamless. They are seamless! ;)
For instance, you're in 3rd gear and your shifting up. While the first clutch disenganges, the second clutch engages 4th. There is a transition, at no point in time the engine's not turning the wheels.

Works very well BTW, I get to drive a 6-speed DSG (almost) every day. :)

Kip_6666 said:
Also mentioned that there were 38 buyers already, most from the US, where i could see that this car would fit in a bit more as it's riding/cruising experiance.
I think it's waste to buy the car and only being able to do 70mph on the freeway...

But that's where the money is, here's one, already driving around in Cali.
1574880a.jpg

1574835g.jpg

Did I say driving around? I meant stuck in traffic. Oh well, maybe it's a daily driver. :p

cya
Oliver

heh

Yeah, well remember that ferrari action episode of 5th gear. There was this one Le Mans ferrari, 1960's iirc. Which a New Yorker used to drive to work in everyday.
So i guess everything could be called a daily driver :)

If you're wealthy enough, any car can be your daily driver.

They Veyron pushed the engineering envelop for the better IMO.
Any supercar created after this have to be as good or better in this in one way or another. Maybe cars in the near future will be more powerful and faster while handling better, etc.
It may not be a perfect car, but it is one of the more significant cars in recent automotive history.
You need to appreciate it just for that fact.

A COBRA?!?

Dude that's a Ferrari 250 GTO* and is not to be compared to a Cobra :| ,
if we are talking about that car to the right for the Veyron going to opposite way.

(* Not sure if it's exactly the 250 GTO but it's not far from it)

Ferrari_250GTO_1962_g3b22_p20_14_TomPrice.jpg