Jalopnik: Driver beaten after car veers into bikers

Wait, wait, wait Norwegians ride Harleys? I thought you guys were supposed to be intelligent and progressive?

Wait, wait, wait Norwegians ride Harleys? I thought you guys were supposed to be intelligent and progressive?

pffft... not even close.

We even got some problems with biker gangs, selling drugs and the like.

pffft... not even close.

We even got some problems with biker gangs, selling drugs and the like.

And occasional biker wars involving anti-tank rockets.

So.. a bright blue rather large compared to the common car on Norwegian roads, Buick, with a exhaust leak, giving it quite the rumble in addition, was able to sneak up at you?
And they keep whining about car drivers never checking blind spots for bikes before changing lanes, here a whole gang of bikes, can't notice a large Buick in their own mirrors?

Those are Harley riders. They can't hear you (or anything else short of a nuclear detonation) over the sound of their loud pipes. They can't see anything but a blur in their mirrors because their bikes vibrate so badly, so they can't tell that you're back there using those - assuming they even have them mounted in the first place which many don't.

Last edited:
Note to self: get a Harley Davidson.

It's hard to play the high-and-mighty card on this one. I've gotten pretty good at asking distracted cagers "Please don't talk on your cell phone, "Please don't run stop signs, "Please don't play on your iPad." Folks don't really respond to yelling, but then when I'm run off the road or blatantly (or cluelessly) cut-off it is extremely difficult to be stoic. You really just want to drag them out of their car and go pulp-fiction on the motherfuckers. We dream of breaking off drivers mirrors, seldom is it actually justifiable. Beating a driver, eh, I don't know if I'd pitch in. I would certainly thrash the fuck out of his phone.

It would all be a little better if motorists understood they are in command of a 4,000 lb brick traveling at 100 ft/second and you probably don't know what the hell to do at the limit. It's all inflamed for me to because I saw this on Facebook tonight:

Still trying to think of more persuaive response than, "I hope you get hit by a bus you fucking selfish bitch."

That pretty much sums it up.

So many people have the whole attitude of "I know texting/talking/filming on my phone while driving is dangerous, but I can do it cause I'm a driving God." The laws were just now passing just aren't keeping up with technology anymore. There's now even texting with voice commands. Which I cant understand because if I need to talk into the phone, why not just call someone.

But I do know that I'm nearly hit on a daily basis due to some idiot yakking on the phone. I've been lucky so far to not have been hit yet, but if or when it does happen, I know I'm going to go insane on the driver if I know they've been on their cell.

It's high time that people get back to just driving the damn car while driving the damn car!

If a call is that important, and I'm sure many of them are, just pull over to make the call.

Sorry.
I intended the sarcasm to be self evident. However, I wonder if perhaps there isn't something to it. I'm noticing a trend in the places I've worked where employees must be reachable at all times and employers are taking full advantage of this. Woe to the employee who doesn't answer the phone when the boss demands assistance wiping his ass. I have nothing to back this up, and it's far less than a valid excuse, I just wonder.

My phones (personal and work) stay in my pocket when I am driving. No headphones/bluetooth/handheld. Don't need or want the distraction. Hell I barely talk when I am driving. Most people get the hint and STFU and let me get on with it.

Apart from my mother. :mad:

I intended the sarcasm to be self evident. However, I wonder if perhaps there isn't something to it. I'm noticing a trend in the places I've worked where employees must be reachable at all times and employers are taking full advantage of this. Woe to the employee who doesn't answer the phone when the boss demands assistance wiping his ass. I have nothing to back this up, and it's far less than a valid excuse, I just wonder.

This is not just you, I've read actually articles on that. Because of smart phones everyone is kind of expected to be reachable 24/7 these days and the old job I had I would get in trouble if I didn't answer the "pages"*

*This was mitigated by the fact that I didn't give a fuck and couldn't be fired because I was one of the more senior in knowledge people :p

I know what you mean. Fortunately I work for people with brains who agree with me that no customer/money is worth more than ours and other people's safety.

Not everyone is stuck in traffic to take a call...

You are telling me that you can't talk to someone and drive at highway speeds at the same time? I wouldn't recommend trying to pull Fast and Furious while on the phone but just normal driving...

I can, and I also recognize that it is a distraction.

So is a pretty girl bound, gagged and struggling in the trunk but we don't ban pretty girls :p

Fixed.

What? It can't just be me! :|

I rarely will. Usually only when I'm on the freeway in low traffic. Sometimes I think people do it in the car because they are bored easily. I had an ex that would call me all the time for no reason when she was driving.

Fixed.

What? It can't just be me! :|

No they come willingly... usually :p

I rarely will. Usually only when I'm on the freeway in low traffic. Sometimes I think people do it in the car because they are bored easily. I had an ex that would call me all the time for no reason when she was driving.
That and its one of those times when you aren't really doing anything. For instance I called my mom on the way from grocery store just to chat (I got handsfree so no bitching) because when I get home I'm gonna want to watch a movie/show or play a game or read something (like FinalGear), basically all things that would make a normal phone conversation either harder or impossible.

Last edited: