Driver: The return of a great game?

tempted to pick up a copy to play when taking a break from F1 2011.

Wanted to know from anyone who has it if the whole city is open at the start or what limitations there are at the start maybe to do with access to cars etc

tempted to pick up a copy to play when taking a break from F1 2011.

Wanted to know from anyone who has it if the whole city is open at the start or what limitations there are at the start maybe to do with access to cars etc

The whole city is not open at the beginning of the single player. However, it opens up as you progress, and the story is INCREDIBLY short, we're talking maybe 1 5-hour sitting to knock it all out, and the entire city will unlock about 3.5 hours into that.

However, I think you can freedrive around the entire city in the multiplayer lobby. Essentially, when you go to MP, it puts you in your car and it drives around while you go through menus. But you can click Start to go to freedrive and just cruise around. I'll double check that tomorrow to make sure.

I love the game, but there's a very low amount of people online. And those who are on are much better than me, so it's not that fun. But there's a ton to do offline.

I played the demo and while I did enjoy it, nothing really struck me as extraordinary..and maybe I'm just a horrible driver but the way the cars have a tendency to break into a four wheel drift at the slightest touch annoys me.

I played the demo and while I did enjoy it, nothing really struck me as extraordinary..and maybe I'm just a horrible driver but the way the cars have a tendency to break into a four wheel drift at the slightest touch annoys me.

The handling with the game is different than the demo. The demo's handling was AWFUL and it turned me off from the game, then a bunch of people told me that the final release was different and better so I gave it a shot, and it is.

The handling with the game is different than the demo. The demo's handling was AWFUL and it turned me off from the game, then a bunch of people told me that the final release was different and better so I gave it a shot, and it is.

That's actually really good to hear, historically Driver games have had good driving.... makes sense when you put it that way.

If you're in the US, Driver: SF will be on sale next week at Best Buy for $40 and there is a $10 coupon in their Gamer magazine. If you don't have the magazine, it's $5, so it's still a final cost of $35 for the game. Not bad. I'm sure it will be cheaper around black friday, but if you have a desire to pick it up now, that's a great option.

Beat the game in 2 days. While the story is pretty out there, it's a workable setup. But the game is not nearly as good as I hoped it to be. The early missions were especially frustrating. The handling physic is not quire right, all the cars goes into a four wheel drift easily, even fwd cars, making the dirt races especially hard. The first few missions before they let you use the rapid shift were also annoying when you try to shift back to the original car. The later missions are better, as I could afford to buy better cars, the Ford GT and the Corvette ZR1 were great. The boss fight was ridiculous (the coma part), but it's pretty damn fun. Overall I would rate this game a 7. In my mind I keep comparing this to Wheelman. The shift feature in Driver feels like an evolved version of the moving carjack that was in Wheelman, but the vehicular combat is not as fun as Wheelman. Driver SF's graphics, story and music is definitely better than Wheelman though.

Last edited:
PS3 and 360 ?12 on Amazon.

This has not held it's value at all, i'm still kind of interested in the multiplayer.

I took advantage of the sale on Amazon and got the game for $20. Just finished the main story.

I actually enjoyed it a lot. It was entertaining in a Midtown Madness fashion. It was definitely arcade, but still the handling was FUN! Reminded of the first Need For Speed titles as well.

Nothing special though, and the porting of the console version could have been better. Game is lagging on my laptop, while it's not a particularly good looking game. It's using a whole lot of CPU power, while the GPU is not properly utilized.

The car selection is pretty awesome.

Ok, finally decided to get this, but for the PC. It's a Steam special, but I'm not taking the hit. The physical version is twice the price at an 'expensive' ?10.
It's my first real PC game to test out.

*Civ V excluded.

Ok, finally decided to get this, but for the PC. It's a Steam special, but I'm not taking the hit.

Thanks for the heads up, might grab it at that price. Still not much of a fan of the idea though.

Thanks for the heads up, might grab it at that price. Still not much of a fan of the idea though.

PC World click to reserve is ?10, I went to pick it up ?24.97 sticker on it, (On top of a ?28 sticker) cashier was surprised. :D

The worst cutscenes and voice acting i've ever heard.
Good soundtrack and I love drifting. :D

The classic movie chase challenges are the best IMO.

Ok, the soundtrack while good, theres only 3 songs, so it loops like a motherfucker.
I like they way you unlock techniques in-stages, if they gave you everything at once, it'd take a while to get used to everything.

I'm a moron, I see my first Ford GT/ Miura, "OMFG Miura!!!" I then try chasing him in a car... and then I realise I can just jump into the fucker. :lol:

I know, i'm not supposed to think about the realism, but when you jump into someones body and go and get chased by the cops. Mr Smythe, whos body you've taken is in trouble.
What happens to the people whos body you take? Wheres their mind at?
When you crash into other cars head-on, you leave their body and they wake up in a fucking hospital. How can Mr Driver do that morally?

I can't find anyone to play with. :(

Just play on. You will understand eventually :p

No, because he didn't know it wasn't real and so is fucking up innocent people. In Quantum Leap he never did that. :lol:

The servers were empty even 6 months ago.

:( In my head it's like Brotherhood but with cars, which seems awesome.

I just finished it, meh it was alright.