Driver's License in the states...

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
I have been faced with a stupid problem, bordering on the ridiculous. I have been driving in the states for over 4 years now. I have a valid WV driver's license.

Unfortunately, that license expires May 31, since that is when my work documents expire as well. Not even a day later (even though federal law states that I have 60 days to leave the country, the DMV wouldn't hear about it).

I have applied to several graduate schools, and I have reasonable chances of getting in. If that is the case, I will obtain new documents that allow me to get a new driver's license. Problem is...that school will be in a different state. The local DMV wants me to show proof of enrollment and a valid address. Okay, but my address is still in WV and the school is in CO (for example). They will not give me a new license based on documents from CO.

So the dilemma is - what do I do this summer, and how do I get to Colorado, if my WV's license has expired?

It's kind of a rhetorical question as there is no legal solution to the problem. I really don't feel like driving 2,000 miles on an expired license.

However, I do have my Bulgarian driver's license, which is in English and is valid all over EU and it is supposed to be valid all over the English-speaking world. Is that the case though? I know plenty of people on here have traveled to the states - were you able to use your UK/German/etc...driver's licenses?

(I know it depends on the particular state's laws, but what is the general consensus).

Yes, my Bulgarian driver's license is valid, and my passport/visa are valid.

If you are here legally and your foreign license is current you won't have a problem with any State Troopers (State Police). The small towns might give you a hassle but you should be ok.

Then of course comes the problem with insurance. As far as I know my insurance policy is valid as long as my WV license is valid. After that it is a grey area.

Then of course comes the problem with insurance. As far as I know my insurance policy is valid as long as my WV license is valid. After that it is a grey area.

If there is someone in your immediate family that can insure the car and authorize you as a driver you should be ok shouldn't you?

Welcome to Colorado, if that comes to pass. If you have any questions about the area I can help a bit, been here for 1.5 years.

The other alternative would be to relocate to Colorado with as much haste as possible.

Foreign driver's licenses are legitimate in the US if they are in English or are accompanied by an English translation - any REAL cop won't give you any shit over it. Avoid getting in trouble with Podunk Local Sheriffs and University Mallcops and you'll be fine. Also, avoid Ohio.

The insurance question is stickier. Best to discuss it with the insurance company. They SHOULD be able to insure a foreign driver's license for an American registered car - it isn't an uncommon situation. Not all companies might do that - the big ones probably will, though.

Avoid getting in trouble with Podunk Local Sheriffs and University Mallcops and you'll be fine. Also, avoid Ohio.
Like...Buford T Justice? lol

The insurance will be a problem only if I get in an accident. Otherwise, my insurance card doesn't say anything about my driver's license number. Hopefully, I will be able to figure a better solution in the next couple of months.

Let's get accepted in grad school first :)

Last edited:
When I moved from WA to CO. They didn't care about where my licence came from. That is state to state so not quite the same thing, but it might still be useful information. Also insurance is cheap here, at least compared to WA.

Is it true that I have 30 day grace period after my license expires to renew it? Or is that just some old folk tale?

Is it true that I have 30 day grace period after my license expires to renew it? Or is that just some old folk tale?

thats BS, your licence expires on your B-day and after that day then you dont have one. must be renewed. at least thats the deal in Florida and a few other places i have lived

Bump.

I am back at this problem. Got all my school documents from Colorado. I went to the DMV armed with all kinds of other proof that I still reside in WV and that I am indeed legal in the country.

They wouldn't hear any of it. They said that because my new school is in Colorado I need to get a Colorado driver license. They couldn't care less how I get there.

But I have one last resort, I still have some documents from my current school (actually I have graduated already) and I am trying to get them to send a letter to the DMV to verify that I am legally residing in WV.

That might just work...

If not, I guess I'll be driving from WV to Colorado on a Bulgarian driver's license (yes, it is in English)

Question. Couldn't you just go in and renew your license right before it expires? Their page says you only need your old license and 1 proof of residency, which should just be a utility bill less than 60 days old.

Then, when you get to CO use that valid ID to get your CO one.

Sadly the required documents for non-citizens are different. I have provided them with at least 10 pieces of proof that I am legal in the country and that I currently reside in West Virginia, but they still want more. I have one more ace up my sleeve, which I'll use tomorrow.

Well, it's settled then.

I'll give it one last try tomorrow morning with the last piece of documentation that I can summon. If that doesn't work, I'll just drive with my Bulgarian license, which according to usa.gov is perfectly legal. And I will update my insurance to list that license. Sure, my premium may go a little bit, but it's only going to be effective for 3-4 days, after that I will get a Colorado license and everything will return back to normal.

I will post the final DMV results tomorrow. Let's see if I can defeat The Man!