Driving gloves

Pininfarina_

Car(s)
E46
I want to get a pair of driving gloves for my dad as a gift but really have no clue what to look for in terms of brands and types.

It has to be warm enough to be used during Canadian winters (no colder then -5 C most of the time though) and of course, tactile enough to drive with.

Has to be available in/to Canada as well.

Bonus points for waterproofing!

Unless you race and need the protection, or drive an MGB and have wussy hands, what's the point of them in this day and age anyway?

Cold plastic steering wheels in the winter, for me my hands get sweaty around fall/spring time because of how humid it gets.

I've been considering getting some as well because I like to keep it cold in the car, but doing so results in very cold hands while I am otherwise comfortable.

Yeap, no steering wheel warmers = cold cold hands. Also nice to have when at the gas station.

Yeap, no steering wheel warmers = cold cold hands. Also nice to have when at the gas station.

You don't use driving gloves to pump gas. :rolleyes:

You carry a crap pair in the trunk or back seat.

Man the fuck up?

:p

Sorry for the double post, not sure how or why it happened.

Last edited:
Man the fuck up?

:p

First-world problems...cold gas pump handles. :lol:

I would totally rock a pair of driving gloves on an off-road play day in the Land Rover!

Cold plastic steering wheels in the winter, for me my hands get sweaty around fall/spring time because of how humid it gets.
Ah, I understand Andeh's confusion. I wouldn't call those "driving gloves," but rather "gloves with grip" or "winter gloves with grip". To me, driving gloves are either fire rated racing gloves or those leather gloves intended to improve grip on the wheel (without really being warm).

As a side note, fire rated driving gloves tend to be very warm, while being thin and comfortable. The cheaper ones don't always have decent grip, and of course you get into the "boy racer" thing, driving around with racing gloves when you're not racing, but... they're rather practical, too.

Ah, I understand Andeh's confusion. I wouldn't call those "driving gloves," but rather "gloves with grip" or "winter gloves with grip". To me, driving gloves are either fire rated racing gloves or those leather gloves intended to improve grip on the wheel (without really being warm).

As a side note, fire rated driving gloves tend to be very warm, while being thin and comfortable. The cheaper ones don't always have decent grip, and of course you get into the "boy racer" thing, driving around with racing gloves when you're not racing, but... they're rather practical, too.
I was talking about leather ones, they are not warm but they are enough for me vs just touching the cold steering wheel with my bare hands. Of course in a colder climate one might want warmer gloves.

Right, that's kind of what I meant. A glove that's warm enough to be used regularly outdoors but tactile enough to grip a steering wheel.