Driving in Germany - Green Zone Question

matyas

Car(s)
1981 Mercedes 280SE
I would need some advice regarding the Green Zones for vehicles.

I will be driving through Germany probably in September (not sure about ringmeet yet), and I am not sure what to do with the "green plaques". My car (280SE) is over 30-years old, has no catalyst, but the emissions are within factory limits. It has passed MOT in Finland.

https://umwelt-plakette.de/sprachau...step=-2&lang=2&SID=ftrg4sjmrs70638j192dfmse55

So, the big question. Where can I drive? :cry:

With a 30+ year old car you technically would need a ?23 classic car certificate to legally drive into any Umweltzone.

Is there a thing like special license plates or insurance for historic vehicles in Finland? If yes, is your car on historic plates and/or insurance? If yes to both you should be fine cause it's a classic car by finnish law. If no to both, you should be fine cause the car would be a classic car due to age if registered in Germany.

EDIT: Getting caught is only 30 Euros, so I won't worry about it too much.

Last edited:
There is a museum vehicle thing in Finland, but my car doesn't qualify yet.

But thanks for the info. So as long as I have my registration papers proving the car's age, I should be fine?

Since your car is more than 30 years old you are allowed to drive everywhere, even in the Umweltzonen which require green badges, without badge. The regulation has been changed in 2007 since almost no historic cars would get green badges.

You are from a european country so the conditions which are mandatory to get an "H"-plate (historic plate) in Germany are in place: the car has to be in good condition (no rustbucket), you have to be able to prove that the car is more than 30 years old (which should be no problem since it's stated in the registration papers) and it has to be mainly in original condition. The first and third conditions are subjective, but it's highly unlikely a police officer would go in depth to find a reason to complain about that.

Since your car is more than 30 years old you are allowed to drive everywhere, even in the Umweltzonen which require green badges, without badge. The regulation has been changed in 2007 since almost no historic cars would get green badges.

You are from a european country so the conditions which are mandatory to get an "H"-plate (historic plate) in Germany are in place: the car has to be in good condition (no rustbucket), you have to be able to prove that the car is more than 30 years old (which should be no problem since it's stated in the registration papers) and it has to be mainly in original condition. The first and third conditions are subjective, but it's highly unlikely a police officer would go in depth to find a reason to complain about that.
They've loosened the classic car requirements since January, 1st: If your car is over 30 and passes MOT, you'll get the certificate.

EDIT: Getting caught is only 30 Euros, so I won't worry about it too much.

So are you suggesting he should just ignore the law, thereby indicating you do not agree with it and it makes no sence?

You cannot possibly be German :p

So are you suggesting he should just ignore the law, thereby indicating you do not agree with it and it makes no sence?

You cannot possibly be German :p

Considering how getting the badge will cost him about the same, it is more efficient to take the chance if you're only coming here once. See the Germanity?

So, the big question. Where can I drive? :cry:
To add some reality into the problem: Driving is not the problem, parking can be. The police have better things to do than watch out for cars without the required badge - they openly say so. Traffic wardens on the other hand...

But everything said by the others applies anyway.