DSL problem need help

kenezzite

Well I usually have cable internet service, but than I just moved and thought i try out the DSL, five bucks cheaper so I thought why now, grrr.

Anyway it seems way too slow, my downloads are on Azerous top off at like 170kb/s and I don't know what to do.

Who ever has or knows about DSL do you get the same download speed as well? i thought it would be faster.

Or help me set it up right, maybe someone knows a website link.

what is the speed of the DSL line you got? 170kbps sounds like a 1.5Mb/s line. So if it is a 1.5Mb/s line you bargained for, the speed is right.

(mods, shouldn't this be in technical?)

^I have 1.5Mb/s line and it tops out at 160kb/s so kenezzite must be on a plan above but not reaching the speeds he should be...

Moved....

Also, what upload speed is your DSL line? e.g 1.5mbit down / 256k up. Since you're talking speeds on torrents, it's possible you're flooding the upload and restricting the download speeds. Do you know what speed your cable was?

I had cable for the past 3 years, the speed tops off like at 800kp/s when I download torrents and some files or even movies off the internet. But I thought I try this DSL thing and see what's it all about. grrr.

I have up to 1.5 Mbps download/384K upload. I think that's what I signed up for. So would that be the right download speed that i'm getting or I need to configure something?

^ You're getting the most you're going to get out of it. The DSL connection you signed up for is slower than the cable connection you had, not much you can do about it apart from getting a faster DSL line, or changing back to cable.

1.5 Mbps / 8 = 187.5 KB/s (bits to bytes is factor 8 )

When factoring the average of 10% overhead on most protocols, it gives 170KB/s, the speed you're getting, so you don't need to reconfig anything, the line won't allow more.

Ah thank you guys for clearing that up for me, but now i'm depressed and will go cry.

i'm on 2Mb cable here in the UK. gets upto around 250k/s in Azureus if you can get enough seeds/peers

You might be able to get faster speed with DSL if you live close enought to the CO or an RT. I'm currently getting 6000/768 (600KB/s) for $30/month.

Use something other than Azureus. It's crap :p

uTorrent, if you use Windows, is great.