Dual exhausts? everywhere, but not on the right cars

Ah ok, thx for the explanation. :D I'm just so irritated at Ford for the shitty gears and ECU tune that's geared for economy even though it has a fucking SVT badge on the bootlid. Oh and I also hate the intake position not being in one of the fenders to avoid heat-soak. Still, I've driven an SVT Contour quite often and it doesn't handle nearly as well. It is more point and shoot than maintain speed through the corner. And I do love CSVT's. But I digress.

I'm done. :)

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. It is a nice Getrag unit that is also used on the Mini-S and the Audi-TT, and on a road course it is a fantastic car, but on an autocross course... I've had some luck with going down to 15's when I still autocrossed but I traded lowering my gearing and freeing up some unsprung weight for less traction.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. It is a nice Getrag unit that is also used on the Mini-S and the Audi-TT, and on a road course it is a fantastic car, but on an autocross course... I've had some luck with going down to 15's when I still autocrossed but I traded lowering my gearing and freeing up some unsprung weight for less traction.

There is something wrong with the transmission. It's bloody unreliable! :lol:

I could see how auto cross wouldn't utilize the SVTF's strengths. On a road course though, I bet it shines. As well as this takes corners in real life spirited driving and on those oh so curvy country roads I could only imagine how it must behave on a road course. :D

Mmmmm, fallen into my own trap of going off topic.

Seeing as my dad just ordered a WRX, I am wondering if the quad exhaust is actually a bad thing? It goes like this:

Subaru_WRX_SPT_exhaust_2011.jpg

Would it be better if it was just one pipe the whole way?

For me, small engined cars like hatchbacks best suit a central exhaust outlet. That central exhaust can be split slightly, and it seems to give the benefits of symmetry without the perceived 'fakeness' of dual outlets that are on the outer extremes of the back. Examples:

note: I know some of the styling of these is subjective (fake diffusers,etc), but I would say they all look better with central outlet that if it was at just one side (providing a distinct feature from the cheaper slower models)

Seat Leon Cupra - 2.0L Turbo I4
Revo-Seat-Leon.jpg

Mini Cooper S 1.6 L S'charged I4
mini_cooper_s_rear_17_08_06.jpg

Renaultsport megane 2.0L turbo I4
2012-Renault-Megane-RS-Trophy-Rear-Corner-View-500x333.jpg

Vauxhall/Opel Astra VXR 2.0L turbo I4
astra-vxr1.jpg

Vauxhall/Open Corsa VXR 1.6L turbo I4
1550b.jpg

These are still 'dual' but more centrally orientated (which for a hatch is great) and besides, the R32 is a V6 so could technically be actual dual and have 1 outlet per back (though it doesn't, that narrow-vee engine is fitted transverse and the 2 pipes come from one central backbox..)

Renaultsport Clio 182 - 2.0L I4
clio182rear2.jpg

Renaultsport Megane 2.0l turbo I4
megane225rear1.jpg

VW Golf R32 - 3.2L V6
attachment.php

Seeing as my dad just ordered a WRX, I am wondering if the quad exhaust is actually a bad thing? It goes like this:

Subaru_WRX_SPT_exhaust_2011.jpg

Would it be better if it was just one pipe the whole way?

If I remember correctly it doesn't matter once you've passed the cat.

Today, I saw a Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Convertible and it was surprised to see it only has a single side exhaust. But the coupe version has a double side exhaust, I don't understand why Mercedes decided to do this. Wouldn't it make more sense for them use the same exact components besides the roof?

Pics to illustrate:
4805895375_593077db0e_b.jpg

car_photo_25569_25.jpg

Last edited:
Might have something to do with the pop-up rollover bar and extra underbody bracing that the convertible has. There must be a good reason for it, as other cars like the Mustang GT keep the dual exhausts in both convertible and coupe form.

Today, I saw a Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Convertible and it was surprised to see it only has a single side exhaust. But the coupe version has a double side exhaust, I don't understand why Mercedes decided to do this. Wouldn't it make more sense for them use the same exact components besides the roof?

Pics to illustrate:
4805895375_593077db0e_b.jpg

car_photo_25569_25.jpg

Could it have been fake 6.3AMG badges?

Edit: Quick google indicates it is legit. No idea why they would do it differently than the coupe.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly it doesn't matter once you've passed the cat.

Yep negligable change going to one big single outlet. Maybe if your looking for that last 0.00001 in the 1/4 mile. And that would probably come from a weight savings rather then a power increase.