Dumbest thing you've done in a car.

I'm tempted to drive with my feet like Mr. Bean. Quick! talk me out of it before its too late! :p

You're going to have to be more specific than that. Do you mean while getting dressed and steering with your mouth/knees/toes, while sitting on a chair strapped to the roof with a mop and a broom to press the pedals or by constantly ramming a blue Reliant van off the road? :p

I was working on the camaro and couldnt get a header out so in a fit of drunken oirish (to refer to james may) rage i cut the powdercoated longtube in half with a power saw

Last edited:
This isn't me, but this is really really really stupid.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaeQl7faNI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

^ OMG! :shock2:

That's really asking for trouble. I mean, hello...fuel tank. I don't know where it is exactly on that wagon, but I really wouldn't want it anywhere near lots and lots of flames anyway. Darwin Award possibility if that had gone wrong, which it so easily could have.

^ OMG! :shock2:

That's really asking for trouble. I mean, hello...fuel tank. I don't know where it is exactly on that wagon, but I really wouldn't want it anywhere near lots and lots of flames anyway. Darwin Award possibility if that had gone wrong, which it so easily could have.
notice that the video stopped when they were still going at it.

:mrgreen:

^I hope for their sake that's a DIESEL Volvo, otherwise it is FTL.

I never quite understood what the whole point was of fiery burnouts anyway...

^I hope for their sake that's a DIESEL Volvo, otherwise it is FTL.

I never quite understood what the whole point was of fiery burnouts anyway...

I can understand fiery when they are caused by the wheelspin. Like this
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqFsi1KAV4[/YOUTUBE]
Alcohol blown 1969 Ford Mustang making 1200hp.

But touching the rear wheels like those Volvo idiots? :blink:

first cold night of winter.....ice spot acellerating out of a bend.....back comes out, countersteer.....to much.....back goes the other way.....countersteer.....again to much.....back goes round the other way....ditch....bang......could have saved it if i reacted just a little better.

^as with everything on the internet :threadnopics:

Ok, I don't remember there being a "dumbest thing you've done to a car" thread and this certainly doesn't deserve its own. Anyways, I recently switched cars - mine is falling apart, my father is getting a new car, so he just gave me his trusty (its in great shape) Accord. I'm not a particularly big fan of the Honda (I HATE the pedal placement, for example, every time I hit the brakes my foot catches the right pedal as well... I have to pull off some crazy contortionist moves with my foot), but like I said, its in good shape. However, upon receiving the keys I was told that the oil needs to be topped off about once a week.

That's the background. This morning (aka the morning after my 21st birthday) I wake up at 6am to go to work. I'm tired (did NOT get a whole lot of sleep), slightly hungover, and already annoyed at the world. Its gray and pouring outside. Of course this is the perfect time for my father to get on my case about the oil - I absolutely have to check it now, it cant wait till later tonight or tomorrow. 7:30am - I am outside. I'm wet, hungry, tired, hungover, and pissed off. I check the damn oil level, top it off, slam the hood shut, and I'm on my way. 15 miles into the journey (by this point I'm pretty damn pissed because the highway is friggin packed) I catch a whiff of something. At first I thought it was exhaust of the heap of junk in front of me. After a few minutes the smell got strong enough for me to realize that its oil. 20 miles into the journey I slam on the brakes and head for the breakdown lane because I realized that I forgot to put the oil cap back on. I am an idiot. Thankfully the oil only splashed up onto the bottom of the hood and didn't get on anything vulnerable. Currently waiting for lunch time to go put some oil in the car. I'll be sure to put a sticky note on my face so I don't forget the cap.

Oh, and the other day I ran the car out of gas... almost. It was low and I was on my way to the gas station when the car shut off on me driving down a hill. Coasted to level ground and it started up fine.

Yeah, I can be a dumbass sometimes.
/rant

After a few minutes the smell got strong enough for me to realize that its oil. 20 miles into the journey I slam on the brakes and head for the breakdown lane because I realized that I forgot to put the oil cap back on. I am an idiot.

How? :blink:
Really...HOW? :blink:

Oh, and the other day I ran the car out of gas... almost. It was low and I was on my way to the gas station when the car shut off on me driving down a hill. Coasted to level ground and it started up fine.

Yeah, I can be a dumbass sometimes.
/rant

I've done that. I had maybe 3 gallons in the square 20 gallon tank in the Jeep and I went around a corner. When I put my foot down at the end of the corner, it just coughed really hard, hesitated for about 3 seconds, then took off when the fuel sloshed back to the other side of the tank.

Dumbest thing ever for me happened about two months after I had bought my first car. It must have been around three o'clock in the morning on a very cold day in January, and of course all the windows where frozen and I was tired and not really in the mood for scraping ice (I was only looking on a five minute drive). So I decided to clear only a very small part of the windscreen and set off. While reversing out of the parking lot I managed to hit the only other car there, which was parked next to mine and which I somehow missed to see while walking up to my car and subsequently clearing part of my windscreen. Lessons learned in that night: - Always clear your windows, even if it's the middle of the night and you don't expect anyone else to drive around AND you only have to drive one or two kilometers. - Don't drive when too tired. - Don't drive distances you could've walked easily in only little more time, especially when it's winter and scraping ice takes longer than the actual drive.

I put a car it into a ditch on a day with minus temperatures (that means Celsius for our imperial friends) when driving much too fast round a corner that I knew pretty well in a rural area. That might not sound like that much of a "stupid thing", just like some mistake ... but it was obvious that on that surface (snow), with those temperatures outside that corner couldn?t have been made - hell, even on a summers day with a dry road, that corner would have been tricky at my speed. And I (at that point of time I?ve had my license for 5 years) should have known better than tryng to beat the laws of physics (no matter how much confidence the well set-up Car gave me). When I recall the events, I still want to slap myself (thankfully nobody got hurt - not even the car much).

Last edited: