DVD Recovery tool

burnsy

Car(s)
2011 Ford F150 Platinum
hi,
a long time ago, i made myself full menu dvd's of the Top Gear seasons, but stupidly, put full disc labels on them. because of those labels, some of the discs are not reading correctly, in a dvd player or my computer.

i know there are dvd recovery programs out there, but do any of you know of some free programs that you would recommend to try and save the dvd's and reburn them on lightscribe discs? otherwise, i'll have to re-author them again, and that's a pain in the butt. any help would be appreciated.

Lightscribe is really overrated. It takes forever, the media is expensive, has poor contrast (think Gameboy screen) and is more likely to darken over time. I agree that the disc labels suck, but the best answer is to get the injet-printable discs...not labels...the discs themselves...and get an inkjet printer that can print directly onto those discs. They are regularly in sale for less than $80US (after rebate, of course) but the moment my current inkjet needs new ink, that's what I'm buying.

Inkjet 16x Verbatim DVD-R 50 Pack: $17.99 (36 cents a disc)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130991

Lightscribe 16x Verbatim DVD-R 30 Pack $16.99 (57 cents a disc)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130996

Don't get me wrong...I've started making "collections" of DVD's using Lightscribe, and I'll continue to use them to finish up the collections (Top Gear, MST3k, etc) However, I'm not going to start anything new until I have a disc printer. There isn't a single reason that Lightscribe wins, except for the need for a special printer...however...you had to have a Lightscribe drive and special media for it to work...I call that one a wash, if you do a lot of burning.

Last edited:
ok, that's a nicer alternative to the lightscribe discs, but just like you, i probably need to finish out the pack before changing to something else.

however, the original post was asking for free alternatives to IsoBuster. the free IsoBuster won't recover the dvd until you pay for it.

I was going to recommend ISOBuster, but like you said it's not free. I personally don't know of any legally free software that'll do it.

I'd imagine you're probably SOL.

Ulead Video Studio, Nero, just about any Video editor.

There's nothing "illegal" about making copies of DVDs you made. Home made discs generally aren't CSS protected.

again, nobody actually reads the first posts.

anywho, i've found a program called IsoPuzzle. it seemed to do just fine recovering the dvds. only one it had a little trouble doing so, but is still watchable except for one or two times that it cuts out, but they're only for like 1 second too. so, overall, it did very well. would recommend anybody to use it if they need it.

hilarious

if you don't have something constructive to say to help the OP with their problem or such, then you're just being an ass posting something like that. but, was still funny. props.

Well, I know you didn't post here looking for advice on labels, but you got plenty of it anyway. And the Sharpie has to be the best advice in this thread in that regard :) That's the best labeling system I've ever used.

true, probably should go back to that :p. the lightscribe stuff sounded so cool though. also, using that program, i was able to recover seasons 1-7 so far, 15 discs. now i just need to get off my ass and author the rest of the seasons.

EDIT: damn, guess it didn't work for that one that was bad. the dvd has failed while watching, it's stopped completely. guess i'll have to reauthor that one :(