Dyson developes Bladeless Fan

JohnK

Just thought this was interesting, wondering if there would be any future automotive uses.

Can a fan still cool you if it doesn?t have blades?

Apparently so, if it?s the new Dyson Air Multiplier ? fan pictured above.

Dyson, a company well-known for advancing vacuum cleaner technology, has now developed a new generation of innovative bladeless fans. These fans use the simple principles of fluid dynamics ?without the traditional fan blades ?to multiply air flow 15 times, ultimately expelling some 119 gallons of air every second.

What more, since there are no blades, the Dyson Air Multiplier ? fan is safe and easy to clean. Air flow is uninterrupted, and velocity is adjusted with a control similar to a dimmer switch.

How does it work? The Dyson website explains it like this:

1. First, an energy efficient, brushless motor draws air in using technologies similar to those at work in jet engines and turbochargers.
2. Airflow is accelerated as it passes over an airfoil-shaped ramp.
3. Air from behind the fan is drawn in by a process known as inducement.
4. Air from around the fan is also drawn in by a process known as entrainment. Altogether, the airflow is amplified 15 times.

You can watch an entertaining video of people reacting to this remarkable new fan here.

Technology like this isn?t cheap, however. The 12? version of the Dyson bladeless fan is available for $329.99. The 10? version will set you back $299.99
Link Edited:
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/executive-...-bladeless-fan-20091014-gwxx.html?autostart=1

Attachments

• Dyson-bladeless-fan.jpg
    Dyson-bladeless-fan.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Are you sure you linked the right link?

Somehow this round air mover thing sounds familiar.

It has a fan, but it is internal, and it solves a problem which wasn't really a problem. Interesting in engineering terms, but not worth 300 dollars.

It's neat, but there's no way that's worth that kind of money. It would be awesome as a novelty $30 gift shop item.

Sharper Image tools are going to have a field day with this one.

When I read the first post and saw the picture, I honestly thought it was some kind of April Fool's Day-esque joke article. Overpriced or not, I have to say I'm quite impressed by it from an engineering standpoint.

One question, though...they are constantly comparing it to how much less power it uses than an air conditioner...but that's the same for all fans. How much power does it use compared to other fans with the same CF/M airflow?

they are constantly comparing it to how much less power it uses than an air conditioner

How nice. I guess they forgot to mention that an AC has more capability than to move air around :lol:

One of their tech articles claims the intake is "more than 20 liters of air per second", or 1.2m? per minute (42cfm? I suck at weird units.). If their 15x marketing lingo is accurate it'd be shoving 18m?/min (636cfm?).

Compared to a 120mm case fan that's a lot (25-75cfm maybe?), no idea how it would compare to a regular 12" fan.

Neat design. However, to quote James May: "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"

Nice idea but it reminds me of those invisible dog leads you can buy from joke shops. I.E. you'll look like an idiot because you'll just be holding a blue circle in front of your face.

Also, if this only multiplies airflow instead of generating it, then what happens if it's one of those really horrible days where there is no airflow?

So Dyson are now evil. They suck, blow and a few years back decided they wanted to take the piss out of your underpants.

Last edited:
Also, if this only multiplies airflow instead of generating it, then what happens if it's one of those really horrible days where there is no airflow?

It's not multiplying the wind. There's a small fan in the base (so it's not actually bladeless; you just can't see the fan), and it multiplies that airflow.

It's not multiplying the wind. There's a small fan in the base (so it's not actually bladeless; you just can't see the fan), and it multiplies that airflow.

Ah, I get it now. It's quite a misleading description IMO.

Its an ingenious solution to a problem that never existed in the first place :p

Its an ingenious solution to a problem that never existed in the first place :p

I hear an echo...

Clegko in post #13 said:
Neat design. However, to quote James May: "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"

One of the aspects of the airflow they mention is the air that is drawn into the flow as it's coming out of the ring...which means there's more air the farther away you are from it. Sort of interesting. You would usually put a fan right in front of you for more airflow...

I'll bet it still uses triple the power of a normal fan.

Last edited: