Dyson developes Bladeless Fan

i love stuff like this , even if i don't fully understand how it works.
Even if it's pretty pointless you have to admire the engineering behind this

Dyson Vacuumcleaners are overpriced too, but because they work...

It looks cool, but really doesn't have much use that a normal fan doesn't do, it'd be great for kids with useless parents though.

From the movie in one of those links it seemed pretty quiet.
And it might be great for use in AC rather than using ion field or whatever it is they do, for quiet airflow..

But as a fan, if it doesn't oscillate and change angle like a 10 dollar bladed fan does it's not really worth the added child safety of it not cutting off your child's fingers.

From the movie in one of those links it seemed pretty quiet.
And it might be great for use in AC rather than using ion field or whatever it is they do, for quiet airflow..

But as a fan, if it doesn't oscillate and change angle like a 10 dollar bladed fan does it's not really worth the added child safety of it not cutting off your child's fingers.
We have "special" fans for sale over here, ones with foam blades to avoid chopping off the kiddo's fingers. Other than making a lot of noise, they don't really move any air at all.

Kids have tiny fingers, of course they could fit theirs through them.

Kids have tiny fingers

Too lazy to make pictures, but my 8 months old niece can't get her fingers through the cage of my fan. Even if she could, there are far greater dangers in the world for unattended babies.

If she can't then older kids that may be around unsupervised can't either.

(No, I didn't use her to test the concept with a spinning fan.)

Also, it seems that it CAN oscillate, and tilt.

Looks pretty cool but I really wonder what kind of sound it's going to make compared to a normal fan

Apparently someone tried it...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5GUmrCoVM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8he8afjQyd8[/YOUTUBE]

It's badass IMO. Is it worth a few hundred dollars? I don't think so but I am no longer surprised by people's interesting purchasing habits. Many people think we are mad for buying a sports car because they think it's an appliance. Each their own.

Last edited:
Wow! That thing, uh... blows hard! Really, I didn't know how else to put it :lol:

But that's some pretty amazing witchcraft :p

EDIT: ah... OK, it's effectively a fan with some cleverly-designed ducts directing it a certain way.

EDIT 2: OK, I'm tending to agree that this is the answer to a question that nobody asked. He's trying to sell it awfully hard, like...

"air buffets you from a conventional fan"
first off, who sets a fan in front of their face and leaves it there the whole day? If you've just come in from a hot day outside, who cares how the air hits your sweaty face?

"no blades for your kids to stick their fingers into"
he seems to have this idea that conventional fan blades are actually machetes

Also, just curious about something: when he says, "...and we haven't got air conditioning...", he is just making an example, right? Just the way he phrases it makes it sounds like A/C is outlawed in Britain or something.

Good on him for being a sort of scientific innovation activist, though.

Last edited:
Fan is awesome looking, but functionally, it's just a fan. Definitely trying to sell it too hard.

kinda similar to what we use in the paintbooth, a little handheld version similar to that, which sucks in air from the room and blows it on the car to dry the paint for the next layer.

You can't do the creepy fan voice. Thus, it is completely worthless.

Also, just curious about something: when he says, "...and we haven't got air conditioning...", he is just making an example, right? Just the way he phrases it makes it sounds like A/C is outlawed in Britain or something.

It's perfectly legal. It's just not particularly common, especially in comparison to the US. We never really have any hot days that need aircon.

edit - as for the fan itself, I think it looks fantastic. I'm not going to buy one - not when it's ?300 - but I think it looks great. I can see how a low centre of gravity would be handy - I've had plenty of fans be awkward about that and a fair few fall off desks. Ditto finding the 'no blades' thing useful - all the fans that I have bought involved putting the bladeguard on myself and it's a pain in the butt to get right.

Last edited: