E85 Chassis BMW Z4. Anyone have experience?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I've been on the hunt for a replacement vehicle for my faithful Mazda2. I live in California now, and I don't need a car at all really (I take the ferry to work) so I'd like to get something more purpose built for fun. I'm also a designer so design is a top priority. Though I've love how the NC MX-5 drives, I just don't quite love how they look. Same goes for the ND. The first generation Z4, however, seems to tick all the boxes. Yeah, it's not as engaging or as eager to play as the MX-5, but it is absolutely stunning to look at (for me) inside and out, and the silky smooth N52 engine is just perfect for the chassis. I drove one today and I really liked it (minus the high seating position) and am considering buying one. The one I looked at was a 2003 with about 110k miles, 2.5i with a 5 speed manual. It was remarkably clean, but not perfect. The asking price was around $8,000. I know these cars are based on the E46, and those cars seem to last forever, so I'm wondering if the little Z is also as durable? My budget is around $15k (I could go more expensive and get an M, but I have to street park pretty often, and I don't want to trash a too-nice car). Ideally, I'd find a 3.0 model in the same maldives blue, as I've heard the 3 liter is even more of a gem.

Anyone have any experience with E46 or E85 BMWs? Anything to look out for?

As a former E46 owner, I can't recommend them as a daily at this point. There's tons of forum support out there for the drive trains and if you can DIY and not depend on the thing, all the better. I got rid of mine at about 120k since I was having $500 problems once a quarter, and that was taking it to an indy mechanic. They're nice and fun, and the Z4 is a unique car that I don't find repulsive like when I first came out, much like the E60. They've both aged well in the looks, so I can see the appeal.

Since you're in California, the real answer here is a motorcycle :D

But if you're set on getting a car, why not an S2000 or maybe a Genesis coupe? G35S Coupe and some early G37 sedans may be in the range too.

As a former E46 owner, I can't recommend them as a daily at this point. There's tons of forum support out there for the drive trains and if you can DIY and not depend on the thing, all the better. I got rid of mine at about 120k since I was having $500 problems once a quarter, and that was taking it to an indy mechanic. They're nice and fun, and the Z4 is a unique car that I don't find repulsive like when I first came out, much like the E60. They've both aged well in the looks, so I can see the appeal.

Since you're in California, the real answer here is a motorcycle :D

But if you're set on getting a car, why not an S2000 or maybe a Genesis coupe? G35S Coupe and some early G37 sedans may be in the range too.

Definitely not a daily driver. This is purely a weekend/fun/light road trip car.

-I hate Infiniti, and the VQ engines are trash. I looked at an 08 350z, but it just felt poor quality, and the engine is so harsh up top. They are damn fast, but it just isn't pleasant.
-Not to offend, but the Hyundai is not a good looking car inside nor out to me.
-S2000 is *too* focused for me, and I hate the way they look with the top down. It's also not a car I'd like to take on a 600 mile trip. Buzzy engine, very harsh ride etc. I agree that they are fantastic to drive on a good canyon road, but I don't *want* one.

I plan to get a 3-cylinder motorcycle soon, too...

I really, really like the Z4. I also didn't much care for them when they came out, but they have aged incredibly well. The interior especially is a fantastic, restrained, well finished design. I like the proportions of it. I like the wheels. I like how they look top up or top down. I like the coupe even. I like the silkiness of that straight six. I like that ESS makes an (affordable) twin screw supercharger for them. :twisted: I like the steering wheel. I like the steering feel. I like the brake feel. I like the absurdly short rear and unnecessarily long front. I like the view out. I like the gauges.

Its either an NC or a Z4 for me. And I'm heavily leaning towards the BMW at this point.

edit: Looking at craigslist, it seems $10k-12k will get a clean 3.0 car with less than 70k miles. So I think this is where my hunt begins...

Last edited:
What do you mean by same weaknesses?

All the plastic stuff breaks under the hood. Like the water pump, coolant expansion tank, etc. coolant system is the biggest weak point of the engine. I'd seek out an enthusiast owned, well documented example that's had the cooling system done recently, preferably with the VANOS seals serviced, and DISA valve done. Any car with 60-80k on it is pne the verge of needing a lot of pricy maintenance. The trans and suspension are usually solid, but avoid any ex-rust belt cars since the subframes can rot out (problem since E30-E46 and the E36/7 and /8, not so sure about the E85). Check the rear differential for leaks and the valve cover (mine warped). For the drive line, the flex disk/guibo.

That should about do it for your biggest/most annoying drivability issues.

Boxster 987 ?