• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

earlier "fastest production cars"

osabros

i've been wondering: which was the fastest production car before the mclaren f1?? did ferrari\lamborghini ever own the title??
and does anyone have a web page with all the fastest production cars in history? ive been looking for something like that for quite a while....

I belive the fastest production car before the McLaren F1 was the Jaguar XJ220 :)

well, I just looked up at wikipedia and there it says the ferrari f40 did take the title from the Porsche 959.

which made it the fastest serial-produced sports car of 1987 and also the first road legal 201 mph (324 km/h) car; the first proper supercar, after the Porsche 959, the Ferrari F40 was the fastest production car in the world.

Guess they did hold the title...

I think the Ferrari 512 BB took the title from the Miura for some time until the Porsche 959 was built. The main problem is that there are often different top speeds claimed to be reached in one car, so it is a question of how accurate the sources are as well. (What about the Vecor W12 in the mid eighties, does anybody has any figures about it's top speed?)

osabros said:
did ferrari ever hold the title?
Well, I read a test of the F50 ( I think) in Road & Track and the writer said something in the lines of Ferraris not being the cars with the highest top speed (sure, as if 200MPH was slow :lol: ) but being some of the best in acceleration. Personally, I think it?s better this way. What?s the point in hitting 230MPH but needing a stretch of 20 miles to do so?

Nelis said:
It's pretty good explaint on this website:
modernarcer

and if you're to lazy to read :p

It's been the lambo muira in 1966, then the Porsche 959 in 1987 after that it's been the jag xj220 and the mclaren f1. And of course the veyron nowadays.
The Koenigsegg CCR will do about 390kph, 243mph. Then, the Veyron came along :p

The Koenigsegg has no soul or history to be compared to the Bugatti

hanasand said:
The Bugatti is a fancy VW. The Koenigsegg is built over a dream from a young boy who saw a Norwegian movie, and decided he'd build the fastest car in the world when he grew up. And he did. That deserves respect. :thumbsup:

nomix said:
hanasand said:
The Bugatti is a fancy VW. The Koenigsegg is built over a dream from a young boy who saw a Norwegian movie, and decided he'd build the fastest car in the world when he grew up. And he did. That deserves respect. :thumbsup:

Word!

nomix said:
hanasand said:

well said. if there wasn't a bugatti badge on the veyron, it would have a VW badge. bugatti has nothing to do with the car.

the badge on the veryon is just a image thing ..
its not a real bugatti .. just like the maybach is not a real maybach..
and the daimler super 8 is not a real daimler
and the mini is nor a real mini.. its just PR.. none of those cars have ties to the old cars in anyway other then the name..

Kebab gud said:
the badge on the veryon is just a image thing ..
its not a real bugatti .. just like the maybach is not a real maybach..
and the daimler super 8 is not a real daimler
and the mini is nor a real mini.. its just PR.. none of those cars have ties to the old cars in anyway other then the name..
But still, they are very good cars. At least looking at the general oppinion given from various different car testers. But don't even think about calling them "true" cars. They're just damn good copies. In their own way.

I don't think this is a copy of something, the goal of bugatti has always been building fast road cars, look at the EB110. They've never build anything that wasn't ment to be going fast.
Just as a mini has allways been about being a small compact car. The maybach has allways been the luxery car. It's just been taken to another level. All of them have the same spirit as their predicesors, just in another package.