Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jaguar XJ R

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Audi RS6

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • other

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
I see we won't be agreeing on that, so I will stop going off Topic with one last thing on coupes / sedans...

I guess you will agree with me that this then is a sedan, despite what Mercedes is saying? :)

Mercedes_CLS_Mi

I see we won't be agreeing on that, so I will stop going off Topic with one last thing on coupes / sedans...

I guess you will agree with me that this then is a sedan, despite what Mercedes is saying? :)

Mercedes_CLS_Mi

Yep.

The defining characteristic of a coup is that it has two doors. The defining characteristic of a sedan is that it has four doors. So yes the Kadett was offered in two styles of coups.

Nope. Sedan was a defined amount of space, Here's where it came from....

2 door coupe:

1932-Ford.jpg

2 door sedan:

0807rc_01_z+poteets_1932_ford_sedan_delivery+.jpg

in the '40s, we saw this as well. 2 door coupe:

1940%20Ford%20Deluxe%20Coupe%20-%20Mike%20K.jpg

and the 2 door sedan:

1940-Ford-Two-Door-Standard-Sedan-Restored-Exterior-01.jpg

This held through the '60s with most manufacturers (including the Opel) like this falcon 2 door coupe:

1963falcon.jpg

And the 2 door sedan:

62falc.jpg

Notice the completely different roofline on both. If you want to buy parts for one of them, you buy those parts based on whether it's a coupe or sedan, regardless of number of doors.

I'm holding to my view as that of the general concensus.

I'm holding to my view as that of the general concensus.

If we randomly change the definitions for automotive terms then they become meaningless. For nearly 100 years, the definitions have stood amongst the larger automotive society. You're out numbered and out voted, and like a teacher grading a paper, I'm marking your definition of vocabulary words as an F. ;)

Again, if you buy parts for those cars, you have to buy them for the correct one, not your own made up definition of them.

Umm why would I buy the wrong part? BMW could make a twenty door car with twenty thousand cubic miles of space and call it a coupe and I'd know which parts to buy.

The popular concensus is two doors is a coupe. You can bring up an arcane definition but the language has evolved past that.

Last edited:
I agree with you. A coupe in today's lexicon means a 2 door car and a sedan (or saloon) now means a 4 door car. I think this has mostly come about due to the gradual death of multiple body configurations for the same model over the entire board (especially in NA), but it has come about nonetheless.

Getting back to the original question, I could imagine owning any of them. However, I'm partial to the E34 M5. I really hope to buy one again when I get a proper garage and don't have to keep the car outside in the parking lot anymore.