Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
From what I heard earthquakes cause the thing to auto shut down, so it is already off and it is just the cooling system giving issues while it is already off.
The reactor has certainly been "stopped", i.e. the control rods have been inserted. While that does stop most of the activity in the core, it does not stop a very significant amount of heat being generated by the remaining activity. This can cause the core to melt, which you really, really, really don't want to happen - so cooling is a must even after an emergency shutoff.

All the reactors were successfully shutdown, so a meltdown is not the danger.
As explained above, it unfortunately is the danger. :( However, the scenario looks more like Three Mile Island than Chernobyl.

Also, here is the photo in your link:
Thanks, this time I was too lazy to do the photobucket transloading shuffle.

Last edited:

Okaen

Car(s)
1995 Honda Accord
It seems the cores are being cooled
Separately, Fukushima prefecture, the site of a Tokyo Electric Power nuclear power plant, said the plant's reactor cooling system was functioning, denying an earlier report that it was malfunctioning
It sounds to me as if the reactors are all fine. Modern nuke plants are designed with a lot of failsafe devices. Even if they were running I doubt that the turbines would be in operation. A lot of people are without power.
Stay safe Japan members.

Last edited:

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
All our beaches are closed, as well as HWY1. Call me ignorant, but I don't see how 1.5ft of waves can be so dangerous at low tide.

They are just preparing for a potential aftershock. Sometimes the thrid and fourth waves of a tsunami could be higher than the first one.

And no, I won't call you ignorant, but most of the country seems to be. Here at work (in WV) nobody cares about the tsunami. They are all hyped up with some "march of dimes" crap collecting baby food. The current events just go to show there are much bigger problems in the world.

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Reports here suggest that the US Air Force has flown in extra coolant and the reactor is stabilising.

smib

is a big honkin' homo
Car(s)
2010 Mazda3
KaJuN to the rescue?

D

D-Fence

Reports here say US is sending in more coolant but Japanese got it covered themselves.
Hell even the Tokyo Tower is said to have bended under the quake........

Buktu

Car(s)
Suzuki Swift 1.3 2006
There was a civil engineer on danish television who said that, even if the core began to melt, there wouldn't be any radioactive leakage. He was quite puzzled that they were evacuating people the way they are.

Shirahime

Scottish Borders (Originally from Oldham, Lancs.)
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Celica T-Sport
There was a civil engineer on danish television who said that, even if the core began to melt, there wouldn't be any radioactive leakage. He was quite puzzled that they were evacuating people the way they are.

I still wouldn't trust it even if more modern nuclear power stations are designed to contain any 'splode an all that. The evacuation was a sensible precautionary measure.

I dunno, I would liken it to someone farting in an airing cupboard and stuff escaping through a crack in the door'ole. You just never know.

Buktu

Car(s)
Suzuki Swift 1.3 2006
Yeah, the evacuation was probably necessary - it's better to evacuate for no reason, than to not evacuate and have people get hurt.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Not much going on here. Santa Cruz, CA has some boat damage (not widespread). Thanfully, I'm about 4-5 miles from the ocean side of the SF penninsula, and there's a line of small mountains between the ocean and here. Waves as high as 3ft, though.

Also, a tsunami wave are different than a crashing, rolling whitecap. A tsunami wave is typically more of a swell of water, which carries MUCH more water with it than a typical wave that people think of when they think "wave." When you go back and look at some of the video from the christmas tsunami from a few years ago, you didn't see a big tall wave crashing onto the beach. You see the horizon simply rising, and then the water just rushes in...and in...and in.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
They are just preparing for a potential aftershock. Sometimes the thrid and fourth waves of a tsunami could be higher than the first one.

I know specifically here, they were concerned about #s 5 and 7.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
Reports say that another eathquake has just happened 6.6 this time. It's needless to say that my thoughts and prayers are with Japan.

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
Probably an aftershock of the other one, I heard that they were getting aftershocks that big earlier too. It's amazing they build structures that can hold up for that , everything here would be totally flattened.

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
Best wishes to everyone who's been affected by this calamity. This was one hell of an earth movement today! Have any of the members in that area been online today? Hope we hear good news from them.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
KaJuN Chekced in early in the morning, along with (insert forum member who just bought a Turbo Subaru who's name escapes me right now.).