Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

19:00 update: http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/news_images/pdf/ENGNEWS01_1300273535P.pdf

New are:
- Containment of 3 suspected as damaged
- All 3 cores still not covered in water
- Fuel pool of 3 now has low water level
- Pools of 5 and 6 heating up
- Radiation on the gate down 1/3rd to 1937microSv over a 3 1/2 hr period.
- "White smoke was seen rising from the vicinity of Unit-3 at around 8:30, Mar. 16. Damage to the containment vessel of the unit is suspected." is now "White smoke was seen rising from the vicinity of Unit-3 at around 8:30, Mar. 16. TEPCO estimates that failing to cool the SFP has resulted in evaporation of pool water, generating steam."

Don't worry Olkiluoto 4 will be much smoother process than Olkiluoto 3 ;)

Yes there are only 50 key personnel, they've been going nuts for days they must be wrecked. They left for about 30 mins and left water pumps running when the radiation detected went too high. They are still following protocol, the gov upped the limit workers can be exposed to for emergency situations so they could stay longer Edit: They say it's lower than the international limit but no explanation of what that limit is nor who it is for.

I've read they upped the allowed dose to 250mSv (not per hour but in total, ie one day unprotected at 10mSv/h). For comparison, the so-called disaster dose German (and Austrian) firemen are allowed to take once in their life is 250mSv - it appears to be a normal figure in this kind of situation.

Tepco says there will be a power line to Fukushima soon.

Looking at it from this perspective we probably should not built new plants, or build them to the old specs.

No - looking at that perspective we should build new plants according to the newer and safer specs but with as much over-engineering as in the old times. (and the people at the corporate levels should not know anything about this :p)

No - looking at that perspective we should build new plants according to the newer and safer specs but with as much over-engineering as in the old times. (and the people at the corporate levels should not know anything about this :p)
In other words, let engineers have the final words on reactor designs as opposed to accountants?

In other words, let engineers have the final words on reactor designs as opposed to accountants?

Tricky in the modern world, but when something needs to be working properly no matter what nature or man can throw at it... over-engineer the heck out of it and put in as many safeguards and failsafes as possible.

When I grew up in the 1970's, they said that statistically the risk of a serious accident in a nuclear reactor was way lower, than the chance of hitting the jackpot in a lottery.

I should play lotto this week, just in case...

When I grew up in the 1970's, they said that statistically the risk of a serious accident in a nuclear reactor was way lower, than the chance of hitting the jackpot in a lottery.

Considering the number of serious accidents has been way lower than the number of jackpot winners I'd say they were right.

For more data, engage ze Germans!

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/03/16/Messungen_Japan_16.03_15_20Uhr_klein.png

The purple line is the dose at the gate. There are several spikes, probably due to venting, fire or explosions. The good news is, every spike went down quickly again.
The graph is six hours old, but their update two hours ago simply said "no significant changes".

So?e

Last edited:
Considering the number of serious accidents has been way lower than the number of jackpot winners I'd say they were right.

Yeah but the reason for that aren't the odds but the fact, that there are slightly more lottery players, who function as multipliers :p

I'm sure you know that but I wanted to point it out anyway, just in case there are children watching, who currently do probability calculus in school ;)

Last edited:
It?s also not a very good argument is it? People win the lottery all the time. Unfortunately it?s never me...

Apparently the spent fuel pool is dried completely. And they try to shoot water there with police water cannons. That plan doesn't sound too convincing. :|

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

BBC News ? The search for the missing

BBC News said:
Every hour the toll keeps climbing. White coffin after white coffin is brought into a bowling alley in the town of Natori, lost life after lost life.

Large green army trucks deliver more bodies. Groups of soldiers wearing face masks haul the coffins off the back of the trucks then carry them up the steps.

Continues

The government is being less that forthcoming on the totals of missing.

This article suggests up to 8,000 are missing in Natori alone.

The often quoted current overall total is ?10,000?.

This is a bit strange, since the town where the authorities first released a missing total at Minamisanriku was 10,000, in small town of 17,000.

The government probably have a fairly accurate total missing figure, which is way higher and very scary, but are protecting their citizens from more bad news after all the Nuclear problems.

True, they don?t actually ?know? an exact figure, but they may be lying by omission. I'd want the truth.

:(

The government is being less that forthcoming on the totals of missing.

True, they don?t actually ?know? an exact figure, but they may be lying by omission. I'd want the truth.

:(

Official figures are always going to be slow to be released and lower than the real figure.

When I was at the supermarket yesterday the woman in front had a small piece of paper that I assumed was a shopping list, then I noticed at the top, "microsievert".