Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'77 Triumph Dolomite 1300 + '83 Triumph Acclaim
Blocked in my country due to copyright issues... a UK TV channel hosted in the UK with UK presenters, that is blocked... In the UK.

The mind boggles. :wall:

GRtak

Forum Addict
Digital Rights Management FAIL.

rowd22

Car(s)
'83 Alfasud, '77 GTV
I looked back a few pages, but couldn't find it, so here's a simple graphical explanation from xkcd about radiation levels:

xkcd blog source

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
I looked back a few pages, but couldn't find it, so here's a simple graphical explanation from xkcd about radiation levels:

Nice find, really put things into perspective.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Some light relief.

To be fair, there were several people who lost their homes. The Santa Cruz marina is home to more than a couple houseboats. Note: these aren't vacation yatchs, these are/were people's homes.

hansvonaxion

Car(s)
Legacy GT-B
To be fair, there were several people who lost their homes. The Santa Cruz marina is home to more than a couple houseboats. Note: these aren't vacation yatchs, these are/were people's homes.

You made me look for video... I didn't realise it hit so hard all the way over there.

[video=youtube;vGnVXy-JivI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGnVXy-JivI&feature=related[/video]

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
So, after all the turnmoil and looking at the name of the thread. All FG members present and accounted for?

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
There appears to be no significant release of new radiation into the air towards the land.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
The problem is not the radiation in the air in this is particular accident. The Fukushima reactor(s) won't go boom and blow up a cloud of radioactive particles, as Spectre has already explained long ago. So the chart is rather meaningless.

The radiation will, however, be disastrous for the nearer vicinity and -- if the core really melts itself into the ground -- for the soil and the ground water, especially, since reactor 3 (the most critical one at the moment) contains those nasty MOX fuel rods, which contain plutonium. Since no "all clear" signal has been given yet and the official statements still speak of "slight problems" or "bit of damage" but never saying everything is under control, it has to be assumed the whole thing is still pretty much out of control.

People are making the mistake of believing that now the worst part is over, since it didn't go boom. But that's a misbelief. It is clear by now, that an efficient cooling of the rods doesn't take place, that the meltdown is probably still in process. This isn't a fast process, you know. Leave those fuel rods to themselves and they will generate heat and radiation for years to come.

There will be no danger for the wider region (except some really terrible still happens, like a steam explosion or so) but the area around the Fukushima facility will be uninhabitable for some time and there will be quite some contamination of the ground, the water, the plants. I don't know, where the ground water at Fukushima goes to, if for example it ends up in a river or in the sea (which both would contaminate an even wider area) but the least people around Fukushima should expect, is a raising rate of cancer in the future, especially among children.

Welcome to the nuclear age.

Last edited:

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
The problem is not the radiation in the air in this is particular accident.

The radiation in Tokyo's tap water probably came through the air due to most of their water coming from purification plants upriver such as this one:

No more release into the air in that direction has meant they have already cleared the water again with levels way under the limit for children.

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Yes but I haven't been talking about Tokyo.

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
No, I was thinking 50-60 km.

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
I'm sure their water supply works in a similar manner as Tokyo's.

As for the water in the plant, it will most likely all end up in the sea. Even if there was a river - the plant is basically best oceanside property, no point in using such a river.