Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

A friend of mine put the Chernobyl aftermath into an interesting perspective yesterday:
"If Chernobyl had happened in a western country, it would have gotten much worse, because no western government would be willing to sacrifice an entire army to save the country."

Unnamed US military speaking to ABC news said:
"We are all-out urging the Japanese to get more people back in there to do emergency operation there, that the next 24 to 48 hours are critical," the official said. "Urgent efforts are needed on the part of the Japanese to restore emergency operations to cool" down the reactors' rods before they trigger a meltdown.

"They need to stop pulling out people?and step up with getting them back in the reactor to cool it. There is a recognition this is a suicide mission," the official said.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-s...am-japan-nuclear-regulatory/story?id=13148044

A friend of mine put the Chernobyl aftermath into an interesting perspective yesterday:
"If Chernobyl had happened in a western country, it would have gotten much worse, because no western government would be willing to sacrifice an entire army to save the country."
I've been thinking the same, but didn't dare to say it out loud...

By the way: Are all german-speaking members of this forum reading Fefe? If not, it's time to start. He's quite an alarmist about the nuke situation, but it's fine with me as he's an alarmist about everything.

Well, you get a feeling of the magnitude of the whole disaster, when you consider, that at the time of the last big quake in Kobe (if I remember correctly) Japan outright refused to accept any help from abroad.

Dealextreme has made a donation SKU for Japan Red Cross. $5 increments, increase quantity to donate more. Link.

As an incentive, they'll send you one of these if you donate:
sku_47821_1.jpg

Currently chilling in Okinawa with a ticket back to Tokyo on the 23.march. Hope the situation has normalized till then.

Well I guess spectre was saying they could eventually die from health problems caused from exposure, I was reading it differently - that they would die at the site from exposure.

250mSv will not kill a healthy adult in the near future. For an exposure of 1-2Sv the lethality rate after 30 days is 10%. For 250mSv you'll be able to measure a lower red blood cell count, but there are no immediate effects.
Obviously, the life expectancy will drop by years or decades after such an exposure, depending on the actual dose and individual.

On the plus side:
- 19:00: 1937microSv
- 9:00: 1472microSv
- 16:00: 646microSv

QFT.
Our media keeps saying things like "every day they fail to fix it, every day the situation gets worse". Hard facts ^ suggest otherwise. Those readings are not great, but they're not catastrophic.

Apparently they installed some more measurement spots:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/03/17/Messungen_Japan_17.03_13Uhr_001.png

Haupgeb?ude = main building, unprotected you would reach the 250mSv limit in two months at that spot.
Westtor = western gate

Interesting video...

How the guy kept calm is beyond me. I'd be crapping my pants if I saw the ground move like that.

It seems like they are dumping water from the air like in a forest fire. I won't think that would work would it? They need water inside the containment, not outside. It just seems like they are out of idea right now and just dump some water so the public thinks they still haven't given up.

Is it the number 4 reactor where they're dumping water? The spent fuel rod pool on the roof?

Could be but that still smacks more of PR than anything else.

I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't all out of ideas.

It seems like they are dumping water from the air like in a forest fire. I won't think that would work would it? They need water inside the containment, not outside. It just seems like they are out of idea right now and just dump some water so the public thinks they still haven't given up.

They are attempting to replenish the spent fuel pool in reactor 4(?), apparently it is open towards the roof after an earlier fire/explosion.

I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't all out of ideas.

I hope they're not out of ideas. Also, if things were really bad, shouldn't the helicopters be dropping boric acid and not water?

True. Some expert on tv estimated that they get maybe 30,000 L in per day. The pool takes 1,000,000 L.

True. Some expert on tv estimated that they get maybe 30,000 L in per day. The pool takes 1,000,000 L.

There was already water in the pool and they didn't need to fill it completely to cover the rods and have an affect. It's better to have a number of options available.

Kyodo said:
Pouring water on the No. 4 unit of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant may be effective to cool down apparently overheating spent nuclear fuel in the facility, as the reactor appears to have only a skeleton of the roof frame, a U.S. think tank said Thursday, citing a fresh satellite image of the facility.

They also had 5 trucks come in to spray from the ground later to pump 30,000L.

With power now connected and roads open so they can rotate that crew out of there things are looking up.

Edit:

Reuters said:
We are getting preliminary reports that the power has been reconnected... Stay tuned and we'll bring you all the info we have

CNET is reporting that power has been successfully reconnected but we're still awaiting official confirmation news. cnet.com

NISA said:
Emergency Diesel Generator (1 unit) for Unit 6 operable. Supplying electricity to Unit 5 and 6. Water injection to Spent Fuel Pool through the Make up Water Condensate System (MUWC) progressing. Schedule to inject water to the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) after the recovery of external power source.

I skimmed over the report but this caught my eye...

The riot police arrived at the site for grand discharge.

:lol:

Last edited: