Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

Yes, the radiation issues have been bad enough to kill people... if they're camping out on top of or right next to the reactor and not in protective garb. Nice of them to leave that out. Actually, the ginormous hydrogen explosions were far more immediately threatening than the actual reactor issues. Say, if you were on top of reactor 1 when the hydrogen ignited, you would have been atomized, not just irradiated.

Unfortunately for their story, outside the plant itself, the levels of radiation haven't gotten anywhere near that high. I've been a bit distracted the last day or so, but I don't recall it even getting close to the 200 millisievert minimum health effect level past the reactor complex fence.

Look at it like this: It's not real healthy to stand on top of a blast furnace or next to the burn chamber of a coal fired plant either, but once you get off the facility grounds, the risk is minimal. Situation isn't very much different at the reactor complex at the moment (from a practical standpoint).

Last edited:
So this is what the Daily Mail are saying... Haven't seen anything on the news yet. Daily Mail do bad?

The moment nuclear plant chief WEPT as Japanese finally admit that radiation leak is serious enough to kill people

I have not read the article, just the line you quoted.

In some way, this is correct. Next to reactor 3 or 4 they measured up to 400mSv/h, three to five hours at this rate without any protection will give you a 10% death rate after 30 days.
If you want to spread this fact in this way then yes, the radiation there can kill.

After all, even dihydrogen monoxide can kill if inhaled.

Last edited:
Shirahime, you've probably not been around here long enough to know that the consensus is the it's actually the Daily Fail. Partly to do with their blatant anti-Top Gear agenda.

Actually pretty much all because of their anti-Top Gear agenda.

I generally tend to stay away from newspapers anyroad ever since I did 2 years of Media Studies in high school feckin' years ago, but what I find quite amusing is that these articles are being posted by some of me American friends on facebook saying "This is what the Brits are saying." I guess am relaying all the stupid stuff, like that video I found t'other day; again posted by one of me friends. Infact she posted that article too. I don't know what to believe meself, this is why I come on 'ere an' read what you guys 'ave to say.

*Has never actually bought a newspaper before* XD

Last edited:
Pesky dihydrogen monoxide! :shakefist:

This from an hour and a half ago:

BBC News ? Live

BBC News said:
19:50 GMT:
Statement from the Fukushima station operator (Tepco):

"Tepco has connected the external transmission line with the receiving point of the plant and confirmed that electricity can be supplied."

I thought that this was done yesterday?

Have I been misled, was looking for progress on Reactor 4.

:?

I thought that this was done yesterday?

Connecting the line physically happened earlier. Confirming the reception of power at the plant is the key development here, they did not turn it on immediately, potentially due to the external water efforts.

Pesky dihydrogen monoxide! :shakefist:

I don't know what you're on about. I do all kinds of stuff with it; Drink it,rub it in in my eyes, mix it with powdered milk and pour it on my cereal, Heck I take long baths on that thing, sometimes I spray it on my garden.

I was just about to post that same video, I guess we were looking at the same site.

The wave had already broken further down so they were lucky.

There was just another 5-6 magnitude quake and it looked it was right near the nuclear plant, unless my geography is off (likely).

Yes, good news. Also being trapped in a kitchen is probably the best that can happen in such a disaster. At least they had food this way.

Cooling system in the busted reactors still not operational, I assume. And if they cannot make them work anymore, they have to go the Tchernobyl way and build a concrete sarcophage. Needs volunteers...

Also there is one thing that worries me: If they cannot cool the reactor down and the core meltdown is still on its way, it won't stop by just pouring sand or concrete over it. That stuff is continously generating its own heat. Something else has to be done, or else the molten mass of radioactive lava will eventually eat its way through the bottom of the building into the ground, where it can contaminate the soil and the ground water (not so sure about the geological circumstances in the area).

At Tchernobyl they actually recruited miners to dig a tunnel under the reactor and created a hollow there, which they then filled with concrete. Was a race against time back then. They managed to do it in one month instead the usual three months required for such a tunnel. 4 out of 5 of those miners didn't get older than 40.

Last edited: