East coast earthquake: who just felt it?

pxpwQ.png

I was on the 6th floor of an office building in Northern Virginia when it happened. Let's just say its quite unsettling when the floor starts rolling. Also, apparently it's making people drive as if it were a snow storm (as it took almost an hour and a half to get home due to traffic). I'm home, and have a stack of DVDs that's slightly more askew than this morning, but other than that, all is good.

I was driving so I didn't feel it but they did evacuate my workplace though (I pulled up and everyone was standing outside).

I'm in central CT and I didn't feel anything, but apparently other people in my town did, so I guess I'm just oblivious. :dunno:

felt it real good down here in central North Carolina

[MWF]So did the earth move for you too?[/MWF]

Wut?

I was driving north on 495 and a friend called to ask me if I felt it. Thought it was just a crosswind.

I've slept through bigger earthquakes than that. But as someone mentioned, if it started snowing in Corona I'd start to think it was the end of the world.

I've slept through bigger earthquakes than that. But as someone mentioned, if it started snowing in Corona I'd start to think it was the end of the world.

Haha yeah. Their reaction to an earthquake is about the same as Socal's reaction to rain. 5.9 here is quite enjoyable to be honest.

What scale are they using? I would have thought a 6.0 would do more damage to an area with wasn't built with earthquakes in mind.

Although there is an unconfirmed report at a monument at the national mall is leaning (presumably to the right). Not sure which one, but my guess is that it's the Washington Monument.

The Washington Monument is not leaning. There has been minor damage around the area though. The National Cathedral had some bits fall off. Buildings in DC, Maryland, and VA have cracks in them. Stone and bricks have fallen off some, including cases large enough to substantially damage nearby cars. Old Town Fredricksburg, Virginia had quite a few buildings damaged due to the age of the place and being only 40 miles from the epicenter.

And I don't care what Californians say. When I'm sitting in my basement and the entire house lurches to one side, that's fucked up shit. Plus being the strongest earthquake in VA since 1897 makes it historic.

What scale are they using? I would have thought a 6.0 would do more damage to an area with wasn't built with earthquakes in mind.

The epicenter was in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. 40 miles to the nearest city (Richmond) and over 80 miles to DC.

Last edited:
The epicenter was few miles in the earth so it wasn't that bad. What kind of feeling was it for those who felt it? Jerky or like you were on water?

I personally like earthquakes :dunno:

Felt it here in Toronto. Barely. Most people I spoke to today didn't notice it at all.