edmunds Inside Line: Jaguar C-X16 Concept Breaks Cover Ahead of 2011 Frankfurt Auto

Mr. Nice

Jaguar C-X16 Concept Breaks Cover Ahead of 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show

jaguar_c-x16_actf34_11-fr-as_901111_717.jpg

Gallery

Jaguar C-X16 Concept Breaks Cover Ahead of 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show

By Paul Lienert, Correspondent | Published Sep 6, 2011

Just the Facts:
?Jaguar's latest green performance concept aspires to be a "sustainable sports car of the future."
?The C-X16 features a 375-horsepower supercharged 3.0-liter V6, with a KERS-linked, high-performance electric motor that boosts output by up to 94 hp in short bursts.
?The car accelerates from zero to 60 in less than 4.4 seconds, with a top speed of 186 mph.

GAYDON, England ? The same "redefining performance" theme that drove last year's sensational C-X75 concept also underpins Jaguar's latest endeavor, the striking C-X16 hybrid coupe, which looks as if it could easily segue into the showroom with few alterations.

Inspired by the C-X75, the new Jaguar two-seater, which debuts at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show, showcases a different spin on hybrid technology, in this instance paired with a Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) adapted from Formula 1.

Where the C-X75 is an all-wheel-drive turbine-electric supercar expected to sell for $1.15 million, the C-X16 is a bit more down to earth. It starts with a front-mounted supercharged 3.0-liter V6 ? a new direct-injection prototype unit based on Jaguar's familiar AJ-V8 ? developing 375 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, driving the rear wheels through a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Then things get a bit fancy. Jaguar engineers have integrated an electric motor with the transmission, along with a KERS-type system that constantly replenishes the lithium-ion battery pack through brake regeneration and provides short bursts of additional power ? up to 94 hp and 173 lb-ft of torque ? at the touch of a button on the steering wheel.

Performance is remarkable, with 0-60 acceleration achieved in less than 4.4 seconds and top speed electronically limited to 186 mph.

The swoopy Ian Callum-designed aluminum-bodied coupe is finished in gunmetal, its lines reflecting what Jaguar describes as the "next evolution" in the brand's design language. The C-X16 boasts a signature trapezoidal grille, similar to the one on the C-X75, as well as such defining elements as a clamshell hood, carbon-fiber front splitter and side sills, plus flush door handles that pop up when touched. The car rides on 21-inch wheels and tires.

The "1+1" cockpit of the C-X16 is equally eye-catching ? finished in Vermillion Red and trimmed in leather, Alcantara, anodized aluminum, piano black, dark chrome and carbon fiber.

Among the cutting-edge technologies in the cabin are multimodal rotary dials that incorporate miniature OLED screens, which reconfigure to reflect different functions. The car also features full smartphone integration, with a central touchscreen that reconfigures to mimic the screen of a connected device.

Adrian Hallmark, Jaguar's global brand director, said: "The C-X16 is our compelling vision for a 21st-century Jaguar sports car. It embodies the established Jaguar strengths of sensual design, animal-like agility and inspirational performance and combines these with attributes that set us on a course to create sustainable sports cars of the future."

Inside Line says: The automaker describes the C-X16 as "a bold statement of Jaguar's future design and technological intent." Once again, we're impressed.

Full Article

Last edited:
The hybrid portion of the vehicle ruins the whole.

How? The hybrid portion allows it to accelerate faster and, as we know, accelerating faster makes a vehicle BETTER on a whole.

Yep. The Tesla proved what a performance EV is capable of. So instead of thinking of this as a hybrid, think of it as a twin-engine supercar.

The hybrid portion also adds more weight and frankly would make me feel like an eco-snob.

I might just be able to forgive it for a select few cars, but this isn't one of them. It looks good, but yet rather.. generic I suppose? It doesn't evoke anything in me. It's just another vehicle, albeit a good-looking one.

The hybrid portion also adds more weight and frankly would make me feel like an eco-snob.

I might just be able to forgive it for a select few cars, but this isn't one of them. It looks good, but yet rather.. generic I suppose? It doesn't evoke anything in me. It's just another vehicle, albeit a good-looking one.

Again, the car would be slower without the hybrid technology.

Again, the car would be slower without the hybrid technology.

What makes you so confident of that? If it weighs enough then stripping it out could very well make it just as fast, if not faster.

If I'm honest though I have no idea how much such a system could weigh, but I can't imagine it being very light. And anyhow, I have other reasons to dislike it than straight line speed.

It could be a step towards their eventual electric turbine.

What makes you so confident of that? If it weighs enough then stripping it out could very well make it just as fast, if not faster.

Because I know how to read, mostly. Are you going to explain to me next that scientific fact that counters religious ideology is also wrong?

Then things get a bit fancy. Jaguar engineers have integrated an electric motor with the transmission, along with a KERS-type system that constantly replenishes the lithium-ion battery pack through brake regeneration and provides short bursts of additional power ? up to 94 hp and 173 lb-ft of torque ? at the touch of a button on the steering wheel.

Performance is remarkable, with 0-60 acceleration achieved in less than 4.4 seconds and top speed electronically limited to 186 mph.

Because I know how to read, mostly. Are you going to explain to me next that scientific fact that counters religious ideology is also wrong?

I don't see that saying that it's faster than a non-hybrid equivalent anywhere, but I admit that 94 hp/173 lb-ft of torque would take a lot of weight loss to make up for.

Because Hybrid. Electricity is bad m'kay.

/opinionated car guy

There will always be people who say it is crap because of hybrid, same as that inevitable guy who had oil lamps on his steam car rather than electric lighting back in 1890. :p

If I'm honest though I have no idea how much such a system could weigh, but I can't imagine it being very light. And anyhow, I have other reasons to dislike it than straight line speed.

It sounds very much like an F1 kers system, I'm guessing it is Williams designed. The f1 kers systems weigh 30kg.

Looks great to me! I actually like the hybrid to pass part. Think it's a cool concept. Maybe more useful on a regular car with much less HP/Torque from the gasoline engine (a la Camry or something, where they could make the normal engine even smaller to help with fuel economy).

I think it looks fantastic. I want to see one in British racing green with black wheels and Lotus yellow brake calipers.