edmunds Inside Line: Spy Photos: 2013 Dodge Viper Getting Cruise Control....

Mr. Nice

Spy Photos: 2013 Dodge Viper Getting Cruise Control....

ViperMule_dv15_KGP_ed-thumb-717x478-93573.jpg

Consider: Cars don't need cruise contol. The more you use it, the worse you get at maintaining a constant speed without thinking about it. You'll be fine without it and probably pay more attention to the road. It's just another skill -- like math -- we relegate to computers who will one day be our overlord.

Hopefully you'll agree with me on that point and then again on the following point: The 2013 Dodge Viper having cruise control is really, really lame.

See, we caught this Viper prototype (we know they're just using current Viper skin around new parts for testing, remember the stability control test car?) with a homemade cutout for the cruise control buttons-- including adaptive cruise -- taken from the rest of the Dodge lineup.

Sigh. I've put miles on a Viper before so has Ed, neither of us begged for cruise.

What's next? Cold air conditioning? Nav?

Edit: Mike Magrath is really, really lame. Cruise control is something that is very nice to have, especially if you want to go long distance.

Last edited:
The great thing about cruise control is that you don't have to use it. You're free to turn it on or off as you like. In constantly flowing traffic cruise control actually makes everyone go faster due to less concertina. Some yob in his Viper just messes with the flow (no offence, boss :lol:).

When on a twisting country lane or a track you'll just turn it off :dunno:

The great thing about cruise control is that you don't have to use it. You're free to turn it on or off as you like. In constantly flowing traffic cruise control actually makes everyone go faster due to less concertina. Some yob in his Viper just messes with the flow (no offence, boss :lol:).

When on a twisting country lane or a track you'll just turn it off :dunno:

There is something wrong with Mike Magrath. All of his posts and articles are overwhelmingly stupid or annoying in some way. His latest today?

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/07/ebay-comparison-chevy-camaro-vs-ex-wife.html

But, but, but it's a Vipurrrhh, hurr, mustn't have modern equiptment, durr, car anoraks, hurr.

While I never use cruise control, I don't get the point trying be made. It's something you can turn on and off, not mandatory. Get over yourself and get the stick out of your ass.

Wow. Already?

Last edited:
It's a MY2013 car, which means that it'll turn up on the dealer's lots in about a year's time, earliest. So all this spy shot tells it that they put a wheel with a CC button on the car, not that the car actually will have it.

Oh wow CC... Big whoop? Things are meant to be changed, but the Viper in itself is insane. No electronic aids and the thing will make drivers head explode sometimes. Its actually not a bad car to ride in, its somewhat comfortable and its quiet. After about 2500 RPM, the fun can begin because the thing can cruise in sixth gear at about 1100 RPM no problem. If driven right, it can return almost 20 on the highway.

It's easy to complain that cruise control isn't necessary, until you drive 1300 miles in one 24 hour stint without breaks. Then your ankle will tell you otherwise. I know.

Last edited:
While I never use cruise control, I don't get the point trying be made. It's something you can turn on and off, not mandatory. Get over yourself and get the stick out of your ass.

really? how do you not use that? i bet i use it 80% of the time.

i hardly use it at all either. most of the time there is to much cars on the road, in traffic cruise control is dangerous!
and if i do engage it, it's only at 120/130 and after 10 miles or so i find myself pressing the pedal to gain speed anyways
and when you slow down, it's kinda of freightening to feel the cruise control take over while you totally forgot about it

I would die without cruise control. It's a essential requirement. Next car must have adaptive cruise.

i hardly use it at all either. most of the time there is to much cars on the road, in traffic cruise control is dangerous!
Only if you do not pay attention to the road ahead.

Last edited:

I only use it on the open highway in light traffic. Even in moderate traffic, I get annoyed with constantly adjusting the speed via buttons (which is slow compared to just moderating the throttle with your foot) and just turn it off until traffic clears.