Someone Else's Problem: Einstuerzende SWEbauten - My 2005 Volvo XC70 D5

Literally immediately after this above post I noticed the right rear tire had developed oddly patchy wear where a segment on the outer thread blocks was bald:

PXupudz.jpg

GvxnupL.jpg

So I declared the free ride over and proceeded to swap the Nordmans under the car. The mornings are getting colder and wetter here so I don't want to be driving around with sketchy rear tires. I guess the patchy wear comes from wheel imbalance, which is indeed noticeable.

KNrqkHt.jpg

However, I also chose to mount the more worn Nordmans in the rear. That is usually not advised as the rear should have better tires (ideally in an AWD car they should be identically worn but ?), but I decided to rotate them so that the Volvo would chew up the fronts to identical level of wear. There's currently a difference of couple millimetres.

No, I swapped them all as the profile is not the same.

volvoxc70_750_500_70.jpg

BTW, this is the wheel design I really like on these. Just haven't found a cheap set.

Swapping the tires seems to have cured the car's slight tendency to pull to the right ...

Swapping the tires seems to have cured the car's slight tendency to pull to the right ...

It stopped blaming the immigrants?

Hey, I still have this even if it has effectively been replaced in commuter duty by a leased EV (who could have guessed, etc). I'm planning to sell the Volvo eventually as it's expensive just to keep around when not justified by hard miles, but I've still had some use for it, including a 1200-km round trip which I didn't want to do in the lease that has a 25k km mileage cap per year. The Volvo's still frugal, comfortable and reliable, and I've done some 22k km in it already this year by the looks of things. I calculated a half tank during my last long drive produced an average of 5,8l/100km, which is very good.

Officially posted up for sale as it passed MOT, satisfyingly at 186,411 miles which is exactly 300,000 km!

Let's see how long it takes 1) for somebody calling to notice the car's RHD 2) to actually sell.

Was letze preis?

• Haha
Reactions: lip
Let's see how long it takes 1) for somebody calling to notice the car's RHD 2) to actually sell.
Since I saw you starting a count on twitter, how high did your count go of people realizing during the call that it's RHD? :D

Nice that it seems seems to have found a buyer this quickly. I mean, there's no shortage of D5 Volvos with working AWD and the steering wheel on the side you expect.

♫ Do they know it's right-hand-drive at all? ♫

I contacted the dealership with declaring "I've got this right-hand-drive Volvo with broken AWD..." and they only knocked off a third of what I posted it online for.

Nice that it seems seems to have found a buyer this quickly. I mean, there's no shortage of D5 Volvos with working AWD and the steering wheel on the side you expect.

Yeah, it's the voluntary low price and fresh MOT stamp that probably made it acceptable. You can still pay 10k for a car that looks the same, so by stating the faults/features and boldly going for a lowball price seems to have worked for me. I only really wanted to make back what the car cost to buy and import, since it has not really needed that much maintenance.

Only thing is that I really missed out on the opportunity to bin it and get a handsome insurance payout.

Selling it to a dealership is also a good way to not have to deal with any issues that might come up on a 300.000 km car.