Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Baha, in Morrowind you had to have a house (take it... BY FORCE! muahaha) and teleport back to it whenever you get overencumbered. And then when you're done set the teleport to the mudcrab merchant and spend a month of game time selling all your loot to him. Good times.

Ah yes. Good times. :lol:

I remember they hated me so much in one city I had to jump around on roof tops just to avoid getting killed by the gaurds.

In morrowind I snuck into a person's house....served them their 'eviction notice' then proceeded to cover the entire thing with lit candles. I missed those things in Oblivion, but overall oblivion was a better game I think.

In morrowind I snuck into a person's house....served them their 'eviction notice' then proceeded to cover the entire thing with lit candles. I missed those things in Oblivion, but overall oblivion was a better game I think.

I understand Morrowind had a little more freedom but the combat really put me off (I played Oblivion first). I quit after my first knife fight with some tiny animal, in which I mostly missed and my strategy was to sit there mashing the mouse button.... Oblivion isn't exactly deep, but at least you control blocking, dodging, and hitting yourself.

My house stored all my everything out on display. On the ground floor I had one of every weapon/armour (yay for the weapon/armor stands mod!), some interesting / unique / expensive junk, and an army of Ordinator helms. Books and ingredients and keys and gems and such upstairs. Lagged my computer so badly but it was totally worth it. Did the same in Oblivion and Fallout 3, but the physics and collision meshes made it a big pain to set up and I'd always bump something and mess up a display, I just kept most of my non-uniques in chests in Oblivion.

My house stored all my everything out on display. On the ground floor I had one of every weapon/armour (yay for the weapon/armor stands mod!), some interesting / unique / expensive junk, and an army of Ordinator helms. Books and ingredients and keys and gems and such upstairs. Lagged my computer so badly but it was totally worth it. Did the same in Oblivion and Fallout 3, but the physics and collision meshes made it a big pain to set up and I'd always bump something and mess up a display, I just kept most of my non-uniques in chests in Oblivion.

I just threw everything on the floor in Oblivion. My house had a sea of weapons, books and armor on the floor.

In Morrowind I collected every book in the game and stacked them in my bedroom. It was a pretty sizable mountain of books.

Game Informer released informations, for those of us who don't care aboot magazines the internets have summarized it :drool: I can has coma so November comes faster?

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

I can add that there is an option for no HUD.

On Conversations: (thanks MrBig)
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.
Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.

On Weapon smithing:
Go to a forge and carve a new weapon out of red hot metal.

more and stuff at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418068

Hopefully there won't be bandits in daedric and glass armor anymore...

I was still playing Oblivion till only a few months ago. Still a great game. So many great rpgs on the PC nowadays *thumbsup* Think I will have to rebuild a new PC just for this game.

It sounds awesome. Can't wait. Can imagine that some hardcore fans will be dissapointed by the "simplification" compared to previous games.. If you ask me, I really think the series benefits from getting more streamlined. :)

w0000t! Fallout 3 AND Elder Scrolls! Not enough time!

Hopefully there won't be bandits in daedric and glass armor anymore...

By the sounds of it, most definitely not. The scaling model is like Fallout 3, which basically started from square one and threw out everything about Oblivion's scaled levelling theory. In FO3 raiders all have raider armor, when you get to level 25 raiders aren't suddenly running around with power armor and plasma rifles. So in Skyrim bandits should have a selection of crappy bandit appropriate armors that they won't stray from except probably for special bandits and leaders.

I'm gonna need a new computer for this game me thinks.

The original Elder Scrolls: Arena was the main reason I wanted to upgrade from my 386. I used to get an insufficient memory error every time a spell was cast or something else "big" happened :lol:.

That game was amazing for its time.

New computers? Possibly a good idea... probably not needed though. I shouldn't have to mention that the target hardware is Xbox 360 and PS3 spec, but probably at 30 fps (me rikey 60 fps rong time), and Gamebryo sucked (good riddence, sorry Gamebryo folks but there's a reason your engine never caught on, it's... not very good). My computer's still going strong after, umm 3.5 years I think, it just needed some overclocking and Bob's your uncle.

My laptop is ard 2 years old but I'm kinda fed up of having to play games on low graphical settings. Time to reward myself! Well that's still some time down the year tho I'm prepared to wait.

New computers? Possibly a good idea... probably not needed though. I shouldn't have to mention that the target hardware is Xbox 360 and PS3 spec, but probably at 30 fps (me rikey 60 fps rong time), and Gamebryo sucked (good riddence, sorry Gamebryo folks but there's a reason your engine never caught on, it's... not very good). My computer's still going strong after, umm 3.5 years I think, it just needed some overclocking and Bob's your uncle.

Are you insinuating the game will be on a completely different engine? I've come to expect 'more of the same' from Bethesda, but if they actually put Skyrim on a new engine, I will be extremely happy.

edit: Just read the engine is all new and will incorporate better animations and dynamic weather.

:) :) :)

Last edited:
That sounds awesome.

How is the setting excactly? I enjoyed the diversity in Oblivion, though I really like the lush forests we got in there.

Snow, mountains, taiga, rocks, and more snow probably? :lol: But the dungeons are supposed to have tons of variety, we know that much.

Are you insinuating the game will be on a completely different engine? I've come to expect 'more of the same' from Bethesda, but if they actually put Skyrim on a new engine, I will be extremely happy.

edit: Just read the engine is all new and will incorporate better animations and dynamic weather.

:) :) :)

Like immediately after they announced Skyrim one of the senior guys admitted that it's on a new engine.

By the sounds of it, most definitely not. The scaling model is like Fallout 3, which basically started from square one and threw out everything about Oblivion's scaled levelling theory. In FO3 raiders all have raider armor, when you get to level 25 raiders aren't suddenly running around with power armor and plasma rifles. So in Skyrim bandits should have a selection of crappy bandit appropriate armors that they won't stray from except probably for special bandits and leaders.
Good. It always felt poor to be of a high level and still feel like having the same strength as bandits. Diablo 2's method was just great.

elder_scolls_v-3.jpg

elder_scolls_v-2.jpg

elder_scolls_v-4.jpg

elder_scolls_v-5.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.**/img407/5446/1294440553184.jpg

elder_scolls_v-6.jpg

2cpx93t.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.**/img257/4198/1294438806778.png

http://img339.imageshack.**/img339/6146/129443945533418.png

HmI22.jpg

You are welcome! ^_^

Last edited: