• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Elfin. 245kw V8, 1100kg Roadster anyone?

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
So, too, the chassis, a steel spaceframe with fully-adjustable, fully rose-jointed (to eradicate the flex of traditional rubber bushes) double-wishbone suspension at either end, six-pot front and four-pot rear billet brake calipers, and an adjustable pedal box with brake-bias adjustment. All-up weight is just 1100kg, or, umm, about 20kg lighter than a Mazda MX-5 SE. The diminutive Elfin is a ?roadster? like Michael Schumacher is a ?motorist?.

The term ?Australian special?, fashionable when Elfin was founded in the ?50s, would also gravely underestimate the Streamliner. Its elements are diverse, but pure. There could not have been a better designer for it than Mike Simcoe ? talented, passionate, sensitive to Elfin?s history. No more appropriate drivetrain for an Aussie muscle-sports than a stock, dealer-serviceable V8 delivering equal parts testosterone and trustworthiness. And, perhaps, no better people to build it than classically trained, CAD-savvy engineers who?ve built reputations and race winners from historic Jaguars, Aston Martins and, of course, Elfins.

Elfin co-director Bill Hemming says that most of the Streamliner?s 20 paid-up customers already own a stable of performance cars ? often track-day Ferrari 360s and Porsche GT3s. The car?s conceptual rival is probably the Lotus Exige, $40K cheaper but 100kW poorer. The real rival? "Same as usual. Divorce."

The Streamliner has gone from the Melbourne motor show stand to this pre-production version in just 16 months. Elfin co-director and handy race driver Nick Kovatch explained that this ?Streamliner Yellow? example awaited only final emissions testing before the model is given ADR compliance. He?s doubly happy because, eventually, this one?ll become his new race car.
Kovatch adds that the Streamliner is the only low-volume Australian car to have been through front, three-quarter front and side-impact simulation testing to meet European requirements.
One of the biggest compliance headaches ? and one that?s occasionally beaten better-backed brands such as Panoz and Noble ? was meeting ADR noise regulations. The Streamliner squeaks by, thanks to what Kovatch calls a "ridiculous set of mufflers". Despite some gain from a nifty cold-air intake, the exhaust still trims five kilowatts from the V8?s usual 250kW.

One styling change yet to be made, and dictated by the ADRs, will be the relocation of the high-beam/parking lamps from the upper corners of the grille to the side wings (making a stack of three).

We only needed to drive 100 metres to form some impressions that lasted the rest of the day. The Streamliner is production-car tight, no raggedy-arsed special or raw race car with flapping aluminium and rattly rivets and a flywheel whirring noisily by your kneecaps. It feels solid and sophisticated.

Think of it (the throttle) as the temperature setting on a tyre-fryer. Oh, the Streamliner sits fat and squat and sticky, and the new Yokohama Advan Sport 235/40ZR18 tyres are truly impressive at ferreting for grip on a firm throttle out of corners, but the simple physics of 465Nm and 1100kg give you on-demand overwhelm.

The Elfin boys have exploited the Streamliner?s light weight with a 3.46:1 final drive ratio, an option from Monaro and slightly taller than the usual VZ Commodore SS?s 3.73 ratio. It makes sixth a tad too tall for the freeway, dawdling at 1400rpm at 110km/h. Fifth feels better, at 2300rpm.

The Streamliner?s steering, like its unbelievable brakes, is unassisted. Say all you want against hairdresser roadsters and in favour of the telepathic steering feel of the unboosted Lotus Elise/Exige, but a 5.7-litrre V8 sitting smack between two fat tyres is something you?re gonna notice.

With underbonnet space at a premium, but the US market beckoning (the car was engineered for left-hand drive from the start), Elfin is investigating two different electric power-steering systems.

Even more of an accomplishment is the ride quality that, while very firm, doesn?t feel half as much arse-over-axle as it might when, er, one?s arse is indeed over the axle. In ironing out harsh surfaces, the Streamliner is actually more comfortable and less crashy than BMW?s Z4 when fitted with its optional big wheels.

Yeah that's a big chunk of writing, I know but it's been cut down. The full story is here: http://www.elfin.com.au/flash/stories_whls0905.aspx

Check the car out here: http://www.elfin.com.au/flash/streamliner.aspx

DPimage3057.jpg

DPimage3065.jpg

DPimage3038.jpg

it's a nice car to sit in and I love the dash but.... it goes against all the principle of a clubman(what it's based on roughly)

I imagine would be a lot of fun to drive as a road car, a little more relaxed than a clubbie, tho personally I'd still prefer a clubbie or something like a Suzuki Sport prototype Hayabusa or a Caterham 21 which is a lot closer to what a clubman should be :thumbsup:

Ooo I'm so glad you posted this flyingfridge :thumbsup:

It's got an evil twin brother (okay so they're not really twins) - the Clubman version (same drivetrain, but lighter - eek!)
http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/3241/elfinclubmanms8concept1800x600.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/6606/elfinclubmanms8concept2800x600.jpg

astroboymoto said:
it's a nice car to sit in and I love the dash but.... it goes against all the principle of a clubman(what it's based on roughly)

I imagine would be a lot of fun to drive as a road car, a little more relaxed than a clubbie, tho personally I'd still prefer a clubbie or something like a Suzuki Sport prototype Hayabusa or a Caterham 21 which is a lot closer to what a clubman should be :thumbsup:

You're absolutely right - and that's why this car tears me up - I know I should be against it, but I can't help lusting after it...

astroboymoto, if you look at it that way you are missing the point of the car

yeah, they are the same car fbc, same chassis and everything, but the clubman is not road registerable. the streamliner is.

fbc said:

It's got an evil twin brother (okay so they're not really twins) - the Clubman version (same drivetrain, but lighter - eek!)
http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/3241/elfinclubmanms8concept1800x600.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.**/img375/6606/elfinclubmanms8concept2800x600.jpg

astroboymoto said:

You're absolutely right - and that's why this car tears me up - I know I should be against it, but I can't help lusting after it...

It certainly looks strange

fbc said:

I would have that one, if I were to sell my soul and buy one :lol: looks so retro 1930s racecar but in a good way :D

flyingfridge said:

yeah, they are the same car fbc, same chassis and everything, but the clubman is not road registerable. the streamliner is.

I thought they were making the Clubman version road-legal (??)

The best part about them is they are pure sports cars. No power steering (yet), no power assisted brakes, TC is an option but not encouraged...

nope, the clubman is track only. It's only the streamliner that will be road legal.

What a sweet sweet and sexy machine...

I see that's the Wheels article, a good read, I particularly like this line...

The Streamliner feels solid, sophisticated and is scary-fast. Think of the thorttle as the temperature setting on a tyre-frier

flyingfridge said:

possibly, but it is morally wrong for me as a part time clubman driver to admit it :p

it IS a nice car in its own right don;t get me wrong but certainly not a TRUE clubman, it weighs 200-400kg more than it should, the v8 means it has a higher CoG and it couldn't possibly carry as much speed through a corner as a true clubbie

I would probably be tempted to build one if they had that option but at $80k+ out of my reach

are you SURE it's not road registerable?? that would seem rather unlikely and there's no reason why you couldn't register it as an ICV...

flyingfridge said:
The best part about them is they are pure sports cars. No power steering (yet), no power assisted brakes, TC is an option but not encouraged...

nope, the clubman is track only. It's only the streamliner that will be road legal.
erm, from their website:

The Elfin MS8 Clubman is available in three basis configurations:
1. "Sportster" - 2 seater with aero screen (registration compliant).
2. "Roadster" - 2 seater with full width windscreen and wipers (registration compliant).
3. "Racer" - 1 or 2 seater set up for racing or rallying.

my bad, everything i'd read up until now had said that the clubman wouldn't be made for road use.

Jeepers 925kg?? That's obese for a car of that size and philosophy. And that's pushed it over the edge and off my "I want" list.

Tut tut, Elfin, tut tut indeed :no:

astroboymoto said:
http://www.suzukisport.com/english/product/hsp/hsp.html :thumbsup:

Now we're talking :thumbsup:. My legs have gone all wobly at the thought of how much fun that would be.

Wow good power/weight ratio :D It looks like a great track car but I dunno bout the looks...why have this when u can have an Atom anyways.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Wow good power/weight ratio :D It looks like a great track car but I dunno bout the looks...why have this when u can have an Atom anyways.
how about because you're ugly or it's cold, or raining or you missus doesn't want a wind swepped afro, etc.. :p

u can get a soft top and frame or a hard top for the streamliner