Endurance racing 2016

Whoa, the Toyota #7 did a record breaking 3:14.791 min in this session which is a full 2 seconds faster than the previous record of the Porsche from 2015 (3:16.887 min). In the wake of that the LMP2 #25 did an LMP2 record of 3:25.549 min.

Holy schmoly.

Go my spotters guide all printed out, and I'm waiting for the fun.

At least one P1 per team will fail, Kolles is a fail itself, I see a P2 coming onto the podium ... what are the bets that P2 wins the race? :D

3.25 is as fast as the R10 TDis were, and that was with the quicker Ford chicane.

New rules for 2020 have finally been released.

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/2020-lmp1-hybrid-regulations-announced/5198

Interesting part:

Six main principles will govern these regulations:
Zero emissions and rapid recharging: a new road-going technology will be applied to racing, the plug-in hybrid. The cars will be given a rapid recharge at the same time as they are being refuelled.
Thanks to this, they must:
Cover the first kilometre after each refuelling stop in full electric mode at a level of performance hitherto unequalled in motor racing,
Cross the finishing line in total electric autonomy (the details are being defined).

I have a feeling this will mean the overall victory will not always be a LMP1 car. :lol:

I do wonder though, some people have said the ACO/FIA should adopt IMSA's recipe for it's top prototype class, since the LMP1 class is in such a sorry state at the moment. Will these changes actually bring more constructors in? Or will it just further deplete this already depleted class?

LMP1 is currently fanning out, Porsche #1 overtook Toyota #8 in the first couple of corners so it's currently Toyota #7, Porsche #1, Toyota #8, Porsche #2 and Toyota #9. Bykolles had a problem in the first lap in Tertre Rouge so they are currently at the back of the whole field.
LMP2 and the GTE classes are very close, the first couple of cars in those classes are inside of 3 seconds or so within each other.

Standings after the first hour:
LMP1: Toyota #8, then Toyota #7, Porsche #1 in third and Porsche #2 in fourth.
LMP2: Rebellion #31, then TRS #25, then TRS #24
GTE Pro: Aston Martin #95, then Aston Martin #97, then AF Corse #51
GTE Am: Scuderia Corsa #62, then TF Sport #90, then Aston Martin #98

In LMP1 Bykolles just retired, they had seven laps, since then they stood in the box, but it seems the damage from the collision in the first lap was too serious.

Btw: there is a free stream at youtube as well.

Standings after two hours:
LMP1: Toyota #7, then Toyota #8, Porsche #1 in third and Porsche #2 in fourth.
LMP2: Rebellion #31, then Rebellion #13, then Jackie Chan DC Racing #38
GTE Pro: Aston Martin #95, then Ford #66, then Porsche #92
GTE Am: Scuderia Corsa #62, then Aston Martin #98, then TF Sport #90

Stuff :p

Nah, the GTE Pro are so close together that depending on the pit stop strategy the positions change constantly. Currently Aston Martin #97 is back in 2nd place in GTE Pro, Porsche #92 is still 3rd.

Live timing is directly at the landing page of the official website.

One hour on and basically nothing changed except for GTE Am, but that is due to pit stops as well.

Retired currently: Bykolles #4 (LMP1), Proton Competition Porsche #88 (GTE Am) and G-Drive Racing #26 (LMP2), the latter two after the G-Drive shoved the Porsche into the wall in the Porsche curves.

I miss the LMP2 with open cockpit...

Anyway, pretty tame so far, except the #2 Porsche.

Cover the first kilometre after each refuelling stop in full electric mode at a level of performance hitherto unequalled in motor racing,
Cross the finishing line in total electric autonomy (the details are being defined).

Not sure if thats gonna attract a whole lot of new teams, it sounds like a tall technical challenge to be accomplished by 2020, which means lots of money needed to research it.

Yeah, Porsche #2 has been in the pits for some time but just prepares to go out again in fourth to last place instead of fourth place... :lol:

How can the same team (Aston Martin Racing) be leading 2 different classes (GTE Pro and Am)?

Last edited:
Well, a team is allowed to have cars in different classes. GTE Am cars must be at least one year old or be built to the previous year's spec, and have limits on the quality of drivers allowed in the lineup. There has to be at least one "amateur" driver in a GTE Am team, "amateur" as in "doesn't earn his living from driving race cars".

Meanwhile, Toyota #8 overtook Porsche #1 on the track so now it's 1st and second for Toyota and 3rd for Porsche in LMP1.

Well, a team is allowed to have cars in different classes. GTE Am cars must be at least one year old or be built to the previous year's spec, and have limits on the quality of drivers allowed in the lineup. There has to be at least one "amateur" driver in a GTE Am team, "amateur" as in "doesn't earn his living from driving race cars".

Meanwhile, Toyota #8 overtook Porsche #1 on the track so now it's 1st and second for Toyota and 3rd for Porsche in LMP1.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still rooting for Porshe in LMP1 and Ford in GTE Pro.

Also why lift the #60 Ferrari out of the gravel. Figure you can pull its rear end back onto the track and send it on its way.

Last edited:
Bruno Senna and Piquet Jr are currently driving 1 and 2 in P2.

The 3rd Toyota with my main man Jose Maria Lopez is a lap down, did I miss something?

Last edited:
Bruno Senna and Piquet Jr are currently driving 1 and 2 in P2.
So the battle Senna vs. Piquet rages again after 30 years... :lol:

The 3rd Toyota with my main man Jose Maria Lopez is a lap down, did I miss something?
They haven't been lapped by any means, it's just that the first placed Toyota already completed the 108th lap while the fourth placed Toyota trails some 2 minutes or so from that.