Endurance racing anyone?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
You may have seen my thread about Forza 2 races (if not it's here). I suggested that we could hold Forza endurance races, but I also feel that we could have some great fun racing in teams on the FG server. Obviously LFS doesn't offer the flexibility in car choice that Forza does, so cars would all be identical, apart from the setups and skins.

I feel that racing in teams instead of single racers would improve the race for people like me. In the past I've felt that the front runners fly off in the lead, and generally take the races very seriously. That's fine but not much fun for the back runners like me. Racing in teams would allow less experienced racers to team up with black top kings and actually be in the race instead of hanging around at the back, getting in the way. It's a good excuse to make use of the take over feature in the game anyway.

Obviously we would need the resident LFS team to organise the FG server for these, so if they don't like the idea it can't really go ahead. And I would like to avoid the Demo racer route too.

Anywho, let me know what you think on here, or drop me a PM. :) This is the second essay i've writen about racing, so you better like it. :shakefist:

Tyvm, Matt

Some of us are already participating in the IGTC races that are 4 hours long.

Are you talking about 2 drivers per team or what? Right now this forum has a hard time getting 5 people out to a race. A lot of people are all talk and no action.

i think what he's saying is maybe inter-mural mini-enduro races. we have our standard FG season, but we have two or three drivers per car, and we do driver changes during a race.

actually, that'd be a kind of neat idea to spice things up for the guys who are starting to get bored of LFS. could be something that we vote on come the time to start a new season.

otherwise, if he is talking about other series, like lukasz mentioned of IGTC, i've tried several times in the past to get some FG drivers to sign up for something similar, and no offense to my friends, but it is like lukasz says, all talk and no go. endurance racing isn't a pick up and go sort of thing, so if you decide that you want to participate, then you have to dedicate yourself to it.

for instance, Round 5 at IGTC, our "Team Kitty" team probably practiced for maybe a full two weeks before hand. we had to find out how far the tires would be able to last, we had to start to make compromises on a setup in order for everybody to feel comfortable that they would be able to push it, etc, etc, etc.

speaking of IGTC, gotta start getting stuff together :).

The problem remains, for team race with 2 drivers/team we need twice as many people.

That's where I see the problem...It seems you can't get enough people out. With 5 cars, minimum 10 people. When was the last time 10 people showed up?

I think endurance races are a bit too ambigous. The only way to make the races for the slower ones more intersted is to slow down the faster guys with restrictions and weights. And the hard thing about that is to slow them down, but not too much that they are a sitting duck on the straights...

I remember the last long FG race we had, was the 2 hour race at Aston, the first FG race i took part in i think. Afterwards i think everyone agreed not to do it again, since the field basically spread out in the first 5 laps and then you raced for 2 hours without seeing another car (which was a problem even in our 1 hour races). It would be the same (or worse) with multiple drivers, since there would be less cars. What we really need is lots more cars, then we'd have the flexability to say 'okay, these several types of racing would all be fun, lets decide which'.