Energy drinks for a LeMons road trip

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
In about a month, I'll be driving about 14 hours cross country to Quiky's house for the 24 Hours Of LeMons. That's a long time to be driving and I intend to do it in one shot, so I'm looking for opinions on various energy drinks.

I've tried some of the more well known drinks like RedBull, Monster, and Bawls but I simply can't stand the taste of them. I could just drink a lot of jolt cola, but that would mean stopping to take a piss every now and then, something I don't like to do.

Has anyone tried those little 5 hour energy shots you can get from a gas station? Do they actually work or is it all bullshit? And is there some energy drink out there that doesn't taste like fermented yak piss?

Around here some gas stations have a Cumberland Farms with a slurpee/icee type drink, $0.79 for 32 oz. and one of the flavors is essentially an energy drink (i.e. a ton of caffeine). It doesn't taste terrible. 7/11 probably has something similar. Not sure how much energy you would actually get for one though as those are mostly air.

I can't stand the taste of 5 Hour Energy and it really doesn't do much for me. NOS is what I usually go for, especially the cherry flavor.

As for alternatives, get yourself to the nearest Big Lots. There you can find gems like Full Speed. Ace, and Perfect 10. It's also worth a trip to Walmart for some Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt. Avoid the blue can because it's rather crap.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2010/05/22/ace.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2010/05/22/steven-seagal-energy-drink.jpg

Get plenty of sleep the night before then bomb out early. I've done 20 straight hours with little more than 32oz of pepsi. Besides, if you drink more, you're more likely to need to take piss breaks which just slow you down.

nalu-fruity-energizer-250-ml.jpg

This is great, no chemical taste & gives you a nice shot of energy instead of the "ZOMG HEART GOING TO ASSPLODE" sugarrush you get from the likes of Monster.

4420Punched.jpg

My favourite. Doesn't taste as yucky as Red Bull and makes you really awake. Thanks Adunaphel for showing me! :p

We had a whole case of those little black coffee shots (Stok?) during a final project last year...I had a couple and they sorta helped, but they seemed kinda ridiculous. A fistful of little prepackaged shots still didn't work as well as a couple little cups of good ol' espresso.

So, my answer: espresso. I can't stand the taste of energy drinks, either.

Starbucks is nasty, but widely available. I make a point to try and find as many local coffee shops as I can on long car trips, though, because that usually means the espresso doesn't taste like acrid burnt arse.

Last edited:
Espresso is fantastic.

During long hauls of technical theatre badassery, I'm also fond of the Starbucks Doubleshot energy drinks. Stick with the coffee flavour only, the mocha/vanilla ones aren't that good.
For extra energy, have a nicely-chilled Doubleshot, then add ANOTHER SHOT OF ESPRESSO.

a) Don't crack one open when you start driving. Save it for when you start to think about how good a bed would feel.
b) Try dilluting a 5-hr energy into something not...as gross. A friend of mine used to mix it into a Sunny Delight or Sprite.

Vitamin Water.

It does work but it's a bit subtle. You know it's there and by about 20mins you feel refreshed but it's not a slap in the face kind of drink.

Water or a low-sugar drink mixed with a slim diet consisting of lots of protein will give you the best endurance and focus. Coffee, energy drinks and the like help for a short period but you just crash after a little bit. And you crash harder sitting in a boring car.

2qmeuj9.jpg

Heard good things - At least it's aptly named.

+1 for NOS, I LOVE that shit, but it's not very good for you if you were to drink it all the time.. haha (probably goes the same for all energy drinks :p); try the grape flavored variety if you have some over there.

If you're tired of all those energy drinks, you may also choose to 'slow your roll'...

drank.jpg

Drank.. this stuff sounds very very interesting but there's none available here :(

Water or a low-sugar drink mixed with a slim diet consisting of lots of protein will give you the best endurance and focus. Coffee, energy drinks and the like help for a short period but you just crash after a little bit. And you crash harder sitting in a boring car.

Throw in some complex carbs in the am to keep your blood sugar levels even. And, a lot of 'energy drinks' have high levels of vitamin B-12. Just take a B-12 vitamin. :)

If you're tired of all those energy drinks, you may also choose to 'slow your roll'...

drank.jpg

Drank.. this stuff sounds very very interesting but there's none available here :(

The first thought I had when I first saw that drink for sale was "What's the point? Alcohol accomplishes the exact same thing and is much nicer".

Though, I suppose if you have a stigma against alcohol (or simply don't wish to consume it), it'll get the job done?

Perhaps I should try one just to see what it feels like.

+1 for NOS, I LOVE that shit, but it's not very good for you if you were to drink it all the time.. haha (probably goes the same for all energy drinks :p); try the grape flavored variety if you have some over there.

drank.jpg

I just picked up a regular NOS, it tastes FAR better than the typical energy drink, but it tastes like tangerines. Not a horrific flavor, but I can choke it down. I found the grape and fruit punch flavors at the store tonight so I'll give them a try once they're cold. If they taste good then I'll stick with a couple of them for the road trip.

I also saw that Drank at the store, but I think I'll pass. It looked like American Idol in a can.