Energy production, storage, and future technologies

Stanford researchers extend the life of lithium ion batteries 30%.

The big deal is that this isn't due to some lab tech that will take years to implement - it's a charging protocol that can be added to battery chargers' software.

Due to sodium batteries being heavier than lithium, they are ideal for stationary large-scale energy storage, freeing lithium resources for mobile applications.

Meanwhile, we're (literally my place of work) building a hydrogen electrolyser at one of our wind power sites to make H2 for the local bus fleet :| who cares whether it makes a lot of sense if the German government is happy to subsidize projects like this with millions of taxpayer money.

It’s rather funny to me how this is somehow a miracle to a lot of people… but maybe that’s because I’ve worked in the industry.

Ever since Tesla went CCS for their European superchargers it was just software preventing other cars from charging. The entire tech behind the supercharger is exactly the same as any other DC fast charging station - there’s absolutely no sensible reason why it shouldn’t work (once authorized) 🤷‍♂️

Well I guess most people knew this. But it’s more Tesla fanboys losing their whole ‘Teslas are just better because of the SC network’ which isn’t true anymore… they may be butthurt since now they will have plebs charging on’their’ spots with vulgar everyday brands like Peugeot or Kia

I don't have a horse in that race any more so I don't really care, however it's understandable that Tesla owners would be a bit annoyed as that was a big selling point. If those people then go to other chargers then nobody wins anyway, Tesla drivers might lose more if the chargers they ultimately use aren't as 'fast'.

I didn't get a chance to use SCs regularly but the fact that everyone was a Tesla driver made a busy SC with a queue seem more organised than it would with mixed manufacturers and opinions of what makes a good EV. There will always be exceptions though, the group with the white Taycan who were having trouble at a shitty BP charger were clearly loaded but were very friendly.

Last edited:
But it’s more Tesla fanboys losing their whole ‘Teslas are just better because of the SC network’ which isn’t true anymore… they may be butthurt since now they will have plebs charging on’their’ spots with vulgar everyday brands like Peugeot or Kia
emoji12.png
100% this. i'm fairly certain that a large part of the tesla fanbubble somehow really believes there's magic tech inside a supercharger that somehow magically makes them "better" or only compatible with tesla batteries or whatever. ugh.

yes i'm also annoyed about the additional traffic at SuCs, but honestly... I go there like 5 times a year or something, so really it doesn't matter. It just means tesla will make more money and hopefully expand the charging business even faster than before. which is a win for EVs as a whole.

what i dont get is how they continue to just ignore charging related regulation that is in place at least in germany. i mean ok, they're not opening up to other makes over here, yet - but even just charging teslas they're still violating quite a few rules imo.

100% this. i'm fairly certain that a large part of the tesla fanbubble somehow really believes there's magic tech inside a supercharger that somehow magically makes them "better" or only compatible with tesla batteries or whatever. ugh.

I thought the idea of the supercharger over a normal charger was that you don't have to mess with accounts, tags, apps and malfunctioning chargers. It just plugs in and works.

Preconditioning was the other advantage of a Supercharger, a Tesla could prepare itself so it charges at an optimal speed. Might be available for other chargers now and I don't know how much difference it actually made in the real world.

Preconditioning was the other advantage of a Supercharger, a Tesla could prepare itself so it charges at an optimal speed. Might be available for other chargers now and I don't know how much difference it actually made in the real world.
Depending on temperature and distance driven to reach the charger: massive difference (in extreme cases may be stuck at << 50 kW for a long time).
Also yes, it will also precondition on the way to fast 3rd party chargers the navigation knows. If it doesn’t know the charger, you’re out of luck. No way to do it manually either 🤦‍♂️ Because sure, the car knows better. Right Elon.

I don't have a horse in that race any more so I don't really care, however it's understandable that Tesla owners would be a bit annoyed as that was a big selling point. If those people then go to other chargers then nobody wins anyway, Tesla drivers might lose more if the chargers they ultimately use aren't as 'fast'.

I didn't get a chance to use SCs regularly but the fact that everyone was a Tesla driver made a busy SC with a queue seem more organised than it would with mixed manufacturers and opinions of what makes a good EV. There will always be exceptions though, the group with the white Taycan who were having trouble at a shitty BP charger were clearly loaded but were very friendly.
That makes sense as far as a selling point goes, but hot dang, that sure conflicts with all the "more EVs = better for the planet" talk from Tesla fanboiz. It feels like greenwashing of a walled off luxury, when offering up a robust charging network for all would be the thing that actually helps society as a whole.

Those queues are proof that we need more fast chargers, period, and I don't care who installs them so long as they work. And my gosh, there needs to be some kind of industry-wide standardization akin to "this is the nozzle size for petrol, and this is the nozzle size for diesel."

To Tesla's credit, they're very good at maintaining their network, adding new chargers and making sure their superchargers work, at least here. (And that was before they moved their HQ!) A good experience with their charging network is a solid reason to check out their cars when it's time for a new one, IMHO. They should treat it as an opportunity to advertise their tech to people who already own an EV and if they had a comms department, that's how that person should spin opening up the network but my gosh I do not want that job aw hell naw that sounds like a hell world role I want no part of nope nope nope nope NOPE

And my gosh, there needs to be some kind of industry-wide standardization akin to "this is the nozzle size for petrol, and this is the nozzle size for diesel."
Welcome to Europe, I guess? :tease:

First paragraph: amen. Bunch of hypocrites.

Is there actually more than one model (leaf) even available to buy anymore? Next Nissan models should come with ccs now as well. Not counting phevs or anything, those shouldn’t be allowed to fast charge anyway… :p

Is there actually more than one model (leaf) even available to buy anymore? Next Nissan models should come with ccs now as well. Not counting phevs or anything, those shouldn’t be allowed to fast charge anyway… :p

Lexus still does Chademo. Why that is, I don't know.

Other cars do preconditioning now too so I dunno if thats still a Tesla only thing. It does help as optimal battery temperature gives you a remarkably higher charge speed…