Energy production, storage, and future technologies

Combined with the 12,000 barrels spilled two leaks since 2017, and we're nearly at 1 million gallons spilled from the Keystone pipeline since 2017 (if I understand correctly).

If the FT report and chatter on social media is correct, scientists at LLNL could have achieved "fusion energy gain" which is denoted by the letter Q. In a fusion experiment, if Q > 1, then we're on our way to a bona fide energy breakthrough, one that scientists have long been dreaming of reaching. "It is a big deal for sure, if true," Garland said.

We'll see if this is real in 20 years.

Are there any residential-scale, non-battery energy storage products/solutions? I know that there are utility scale methods of giant compressed air storage, large water towers and reservoirs at different elevations, etc, but are there any that a homeowner could install on their own property that doesn't require batteries?

Are there any residential-scale, non-battery energy storage products/solutions? I know that there are utility scale methods of giant compressed air storage, large water towers and reservoirs at different elevations, etc, but are there any that a homeowner could install on their own property that doesn't require batteries?

There are some heat storage solutions, for both heat and hot water.

since electrical energy is one of the "highest value" forms of energy (i.e. it can very easily be turned to another form of energy, but not the other way around), it's fairly hard to actually store it well. hence battery storage. may I ask why you'd not want a battery though?

i think i saw a report of a startup or something that's developing a hydrogen home storage thing? i.e. an electrolyser, pumps/pressurizer, high-pressure tanks and fuel cell. to be honest... sounds like an insane amount of complexity to just replace a battery. and can't possibly make financial sense. not to speak of the atrocious efficiency (i guess you could at least use the heat). also having a bunch of pressurized hydrogen in your basement or wherever somehow would always be at the back of my mind.

but yeah, there are alternatives. they're probably just not very good :p

There are some heat storage solutions, for both heat and hot water.
also this of course. storing heat is easy and there's also shenanigans with super high temperature storage (was there a post in here about that sand-based thing?) which could theoretically be used to make electricity again. at horrible efficiency, as usual...