Energy production, storage, and future technologies

In most applications, hydrogen is simply a battery with lots of extra (complicating and loss-inducing) steps.

Texas leaders threaten wind and solar boom with legislative push​

Yes? But we are still going for battery electric cars, and they’re prohibitively expensive for a lot of people. Solar panels aren’t as cheap as coal or gas heating either. Neither is installing a ground source heat pump. I get new tech is expensive, but saying something’s too expensive and then continuing as we are today is why we’re stuck with what have today.

Yes? But we are still going for battery electric cars, and they’re prohibitively expensive for a lot of people. Solar panels aren’t as cheap as coal or gas heating either. Neither is installing a ground source heat pump. I get new tech is expensive, but saying something’s too expensive and then continuing as we are today is why we’re stuck with what have today.

In the short run, an EV is more expensive. It only takes a few years for that to even out.

Solar panels pay for themselves in less than a decade. You never stop paying for gas for a boiler.

Who uses coal to heat a house anymore?

Air source heat pumps are a good option over gas.

Hydrogen is dangerous on top of being expensive. We already have houses that explode from natural gas leaks, hydrogen is much harder to contain. Don't believe me, ask NASA! They launched the Artimis 1 mission last year after 2 delays due to hydrogen leaks.

Who uses coal to heat a house anymore?

My current apartment is one step above that. I have a diesel burning stove (Ölofen)to hear my apartment and it leaves some soot and crap. Though it’s still a damn sight better than a pellet or wood oven. Much less to clean out, but it’s still wasteful. I’ve burned nearly 700l since the week before Christmas and this is only a 645sqft apartment in a mild climate.

Ok, the other points, sure, but I’d think we could still make it work, maybe at larger central plants first…