Energy production, storage, and future technologies

In Europe almost all cars have the same charge plug so no adapters needed. Plan will be (from what we can glean from Elons twitter) install Tesla app, link creditcard, select supercharger you’re at, confirm via app, charge. Which is identical to any other charger (for most of which you also need a card or app for). Not ideal, and contactless payment is indeed preferable, but since no charger has this built in yet (and it would cost a lot to change this) this will not happen

Also lots of german legislation about that makes this quite hard… words to break your tongue on: Eichrecht, Ladesäulenverordnung. Both are currently mostly just being ignored by tesla.

The Fuso eCanter and DB Schenker delivery service in Oslo:

Maybe this is commonly known-about, but this is the first I've herd of "solid state hydrogen":

First, the problem where the hydrogen comes from is still there. Then there is manufacturing and recycling miles of plastic film. How much CO2 does that produce on top of the production of the hydrogen? What other toxins are produced?

Also, why recycle the film when it is still 98% effective? That seems to be a waste.

First, the problem where the hydrogen comes from is still there
Honestly, that will never go away, since there are so many more uses for (green!) hydrogen, that are much more valuable (and thus: willing to pay) than moving a car around…
1C7ACF0C-C37A-458D-8EC1-A71DDD39C081.jpeg

So California has signed SB 423 (full name: "SB-423 Energy: firm zero-carbon resources." ) as part of their continued efforts against climate change and resilience against (PG&E reported 55 "Electric disturbance events" in 2020). It is but one part of a massive $15B effort that affects everything from highly impactful (emergency drought-relief projects), to merely continuing or expanding (more ZEV rebates and the purchase of more EV buses, as an example) to invisible (evaluat[ion of] emerging firefighting technology and tools.)

However, what caught my attention was the definition of "Zero-Carbon energy" under SB 423: here it is, in full:

“Firm zero-carbon resources” are electrical resources that can individually, or in combination, deliver zero-carbon electricity with high availability for the expected duration of multiday extreme or atypical weather events, including periods of low renewable energy generation, and facilitate integration of eligible renewable energy resources into the electrical grid and the transition to a zero-carbon electrical grid.

Spotted the loophole yet? Technichally speaking, natural gas can deliver zero-carbon in combination with actually renewable energies while still gleefully burning away on flare towers. I guess that is a way to claim Zero-carbon within your expected timeframe :p

Last edited:
Spotted the loophole yet? Technichally speaking, natural gas can deliver zero-carbon in combination with actually renewable energies while still gleefully burning away on flare towers. I guess that is a way to claim Zero-carbon within your expected timeframe :p
yeah this is the same bullshit the EU Just pulled recently (I think?) where they also classified nuclear and natural gas as "sustainable" sources. nuclear, fair enough, i'll admit is a matter of opinion/discussion, but natural gas? hurrrrrr... nice lobbying crap again, i could puke.

Prototype 50kw wireless charging installed in Oslo:

That system is optimised for busses, but can also charge a car with the wireless charging pad retrofitted. In this case it was added to a Jaaaag I-Pace. No faffing about with cables and connectors.