Engine Troubles in an Older Car

Wildy

Car(s)
Not My Car
I am interested in what other people think might be wrong.

The car in question is a Volvo 164, Automatic transmission.

Is on its original B30 engine (3 L straight 6), has dual Strombergs (it was built before the D-Jetronic injection system was standard) and has only done about 100k miles.

It decided not to start one day so we took a look at it.

Started with the carburettors because the last time it acted like that, that was the problem. It wasn't.

Checked the spark plugs, and checked and replaced the leads to the distributor with no luck.

Checked the distributor, and although it was a bit rough it wasn't the problem.

Changed the coil and found no luck either.

We ran out of day so we left it until the next day. None of us had any clue at all as to what was wrong.

The next day when we tried starting it we had a bunch of transmission fluid pissing out of the car from some overflow.

I get a feeling that they aren't related, but I'm not sure.

So, any ideas?

If I remember correctly I think it was turning over, and there are points where it sounds like it'll start but it doesn't. That's the best I can describe it.

And there was one other thing that I forgot to mention. We did check the fuel pump, it was working as well.

In order for an engine to run you need:

Fuel
Air
Spark
Compression

Did you look to see if you were getting fuel at the carb?
If the dizzy is 'rough' I would probably replace it.

Sounds like either a spark or a fuel problem. Is that engine overhead cam or pushrod?

Pull a plug, keep it in the wire and mount it so it's very close to a large piece of metal, but not touching, engine bay is a good place. Just make sure it's not near any gas! :) With it mounted that way get someone to crank the engine and watch the spark, see how intense it is if it's there at all. Do this for all the cylinders.

Also when was the last time you changed your plugs? Old carbed engines can foul the plugs pretty quickly and can lead to poor performance and bad starting. So check them before doing what I said above, it's easier to do that first. Look for carbon buildup, worn out electrodes, etc. If they look bad, replace them (cheap) and give it another whirl.

EDIT: I read now you checked the plugs already, doh, go on to what I said first then.

Could be a vacuum leak, that's what happened on my old Lincoln. It had a BIG vacuum leak and it would turn over... almost start, but then die or pop its self out.

Checked the points in the ignition system? IIRC, that car is too old to have electronic ignition and uses a points-type instead.

Pull a plug, keep it in the wire and mount it so it's very close to a large piece of metal, but not touching, engine bay is a good place. Just make sure it's not near any gas! :) With it mounted that way get someone to crank the engine and watch the spark, see how intense it is if it's there at all. Do this for all the cylinders.

We did that. It was sparking, but it wasn't sparking as strongly as it should have. Dad thinks that it might be an earth cable.

Could be a vacuum leak, that's what happened on my old Lincoln. It had a BIG vacuum leak and it would turn over... almost start, but then die or pop its self out.

IIRC there aren't any vacuum parts in this car.

Checked the points in the ignition system? IIRC, that car is too old to have electronic ignition and uses a points-type instead.

Yes, we checked them and changed them. No result.

Did you look to see if you were getting fuel at the carb?

Yes, and I believe we were.

starfox07 said:
If the dizzy is 'rough' I would probably replace it.

We did.

starfox07 said:
Sounds like either a spark or a fuel problem. Is that engine overhead cam or pushrod?

Dad thinks spark related, I personally think that it is fuel related, in that I went to a station with really shitty fuel.

Pushrod.

It's just like the B20 engine, except with two extra cylinders.

Swap out the battery and try again?

You can also disconnect the carbs from their fuel supply, drain the bowls, and connect their fuel feed to a gravity drip using known good fuel in place of the fuel pump.