English subtitle discussion for TG polar special

Part 7 done and sent.

So the transcript is done.

Big thanks to HaggisHill and Speedtouch. Thank you for your time and effort. Maybe bbc should pay us some money for this;-) But the least I can do is to put your names onto the team members' list in the subtitle.

Catch you guys later. Cheers for you!

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am a Chinese Top Gear fan, and I've been in a Top Gear subtitle team for half a year now. We have made English and Chinese subtitles for serie 9. And soon after the release of Chinese subtitles, the programs have become incredibly popular in China. We've even got fans supporting us to continue making subtitles for TG.

But face it, we aren't native speakers. So our understanding of English cannot be as good as yours. And just think of it, FinalGear can actually start a project that makes English subtitles for Top Gear (also Fifth Gear maybe?). So that people from non-English speaking countries can easily translate them into their own languages. Thus, Top Gear can be showed to billions of people who don't speak English.

So the Top Gear polar special is out, I say we start the project right now! Here is the plan:

The 1 hour program is equally divided into 12 parts/segments, so each part only lasts about 5 minutes. Any single part will be taken by one volunteer who will type down all the transcripts in that segment and save them as a .txt file, upload it to any share space, share the link and his/her job is done. So the more volunteers we've got, the less job each one will get, and sooner the project will complete.

I will make timeline in a .srt file, then fill in the srt file with the transcripts from you guys. Thus the subtitle is done. Easy, isn't it?

The program is divided like this: (Timestamp is based on the VTV 700M version which has a more decent sound quality)

[Done by HaggiesHill]part1: begin ~ 00:05:01 (Jeremy: ...a doctor snaped us to attantion.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part2: 00:05:01 ~ 00:10:00 (Ruined face man: ...Hands above your head!)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part3: 00:10:00 ~ 00:15:00 (Jeremy: I didn't know he be this bad.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part4: 00:15:00 ~ 00:20:00 (Richard: I'm broken.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part5: 00:20:00 ~ 00:25:00 (Jeremy: ...)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part6: 00:25:00 ~ 00:29:51 (Richard: my body clock is broken)
[Done by Speedtouch]part7: 00:29:51 ~ 00:35:00 (Jeremy: Surviving on only gin)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part8: 00:35:00 ~ 00:40:00 (Jeremy: ...and quite lonely out here)
[Done by Speedtouch]part9: 00:40:00 ~ 00:44:58 (Richard: Now we are making progress...)
[Done by Speedtouch]part10: 00:44:58 ~ 00:50:08 (Jeremy: bloody hell!)
[Done by Speedtouch]part11: 00:50:08 ~ 00:55:02 (May: Exactly)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part12: 00:55:02 ~ end

If you would like to participate, please reply this thread and let the others know which part you would like to take.
Come on people, let's do something for the world.

I know it's off topic, but for someone who is so critical of his English you seem to have better command of it than some of the native speakers.

So, where is the finished product so that I can get on with the Spanish translation? :p

So, where is the finished product so that I can get on with the Spanish translation? :p

?Porque necesitas subtitulos ingleses para empezar en castellano/espa?ol? :hmm:

Wow. HaggisHill really did do a lot. He doesn't have GCSE coursework though! :mad:

?Porque necesitas subtitulos ingleses para empezar en castellano/espa?ol? :hmm:

Porque es mucho m?s r?pido traducir los subtitulos ingleses al espa?ol que empezar desde cero.

(Because it's much faster translating the English subtitles into Spanish than starting from scratch)

Last edited:

I asked him via eMail and he's he's finishing the time-stamps first then releasing the file. You could always get the bits from the gmail account if you can't wait ;-)

Good luck with the course-work young Speedtouch ;-)

Where I can dowload English subtitle script? I am a Russian fansubber. I want to translate it into Russian.

I'd like to go on record and thank everyone here. I'm a deaf/hard of hearing guy who has missed most of the show until this past year. I'm happy to see that I can get them with captions now as well.

Has the final subtitle file been released yet? I can't seem to find it on any of the subtitle sites (including opensubtitles.org where the Series 9 ones are) and the gmail account set up specifically for this only seems to contain the transcripts without timestamps. Thanks

if someone could get an srt for best motoring that would be better

Thank

Thank

Thanks very very very much for this amazing article

I'll start to translate it into arabic right now

Thanks again