English subtitle discussion for TG polar special

bitcars

Hi guys. I am a Chinese Top Gear fan, and I've been in a Top Gear subtitle team for half a year now. We have made English and Chinese subtitles for serie 9. And soon after the release of Chinese subtitles, the programs have become incredibly popular in China. We've even got fans supporting us to continue making subtitles for TG.

But face it, we aren't native speakers. So our understanding of English cannot be as good as yours. And just think of it, FinalGear can actually start a project that makes English subtitles for Top Gear (also Fifth Gear maybe?). So that people from non-English speaking countries can easily translate them into their own languages. Thus, Top Gear can be showed to billions of people who don't speak English.

So the Top Gear polar special is out, I say we start the project right now! Here is the plan:

The 1 hour program is equally divided into 12 parts/segments, so each part only lasts about 5 minutes. Any single part will be taken by one volunteer who will type down all the transcripts in that segment and save them as a .txt file, upload it to any share space, share the link and his/her job is done. So the more volunteers we've got, the less job each one will get, and sooner the project will complete.

I will make timeline in a .srt file, then fill in the srt file with the transcripts from you guys. Thus the subtitle is done. Easy, isn't it?

The program is divided like this: (Timestamp is based on the VTV 700M version which has a more decent sound quality)

[Done by HaggiesHill]part1: begin ~ 00:05:01 (Jeremy: ...a doctor snaped us to attantion.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part2: 00:05:01 ~ 00:10:00 (Ruined face man: ...Hands above your head!)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part3: 00:10:00 ~ 00:15:00 (Jeremy: I didn't know he be this bad.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part4: 00:15:00 ~ 00:20:00 (Richard: I'm broken.)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part5: 00:20:00 ~ 00:25:00 (Jeremy: ...)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part6: 00:25:00 ~ 00:29:51 (Richard: my body clock is broken)
[Done by Speedtouch]part7: 00:29:51 ~ 00:35:00 (Jeremy: Surviving on only gin)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part8: 00:35:00 ~ 00:40:00 (Jeremy: ...and quite lonely out here)
[Done by Speedtouch]part9: 00:40:00 ~ 00:44:58 (Richard: Now we are making progress...)
[Done by Speedtouch]part10: 00:44:58 ~ 00:50:08 (Jeremy: bloody hell!)
[Done by Speedtouch]part11: 00:50:08 ~ 00:55:02 (May: Exactly)
[Done by HaggiesHill]part12: 00:55:02 ~ end

If you would like to participate, please reply this thread and let the others know which part you would like to take.
Come on people, let's do something for the world.

Last edited:
thats quite a performance

Er - who ever does the job (not one for me - too lazy and can't spell anyway) use British English spellings 'cause it could be quite amusing to see people scratching their heads at the spelling changes every 5 minutes!

top.gear.polar.special.1080i.h264.dd20.ts

This version has the english BBC teletext subtitles in the transport stream, i'm sure there are some tools to extract them.

ProjextX can do that, I think...

ProjextX can do that, I think...

I work a lot with dvb at work and have been trying to do this for fun the last hour. But i can't get the projectX thing to do what i want yet. This is the first time i've used it and the interface is pretty tricky.

Using another program called ccextractor now, hopefully that will bring me a bit more luck. If this doens't work I'm going to try projectX again.

top.gear.polar.special.1080i.h264.dd20.ts

This version has the english BBC teletext subtitles in the transport stream, i'm sure there are some tools to extract them.

Interesting! Any idea about how to get those teletext without downloading this huge file? This is best solution so far!

I work a lot with dvb at work and have been trying to do this for fun the last hour. But i can't get the projectX thing to do what i want yet. This is the first time i've used it and the interface is pretty tricky.

Using another program called ccextractor now, hopefully that will bring me a bit more luck. If this doens't work I'm going to try projectX again.

Hope that'll work. Thanks a lot!

Top.Gear.Polar.Special.2007.BBC-HD.1080p.H.264.AC3.2.0.mkv

This is the version that Finalgear released. Does it have the teletext subtitles? Because I don't know where to download the top.gear.polar.special.1080i.h264.dd20.ts version.

BTW, Kip_6666, how is the thing going? Still doesn't work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll sign up. Just tell me which bit to do!

Did you get the English subtitles off the episode ? Any word on how you're doing ?

I did part 12 if you've still wanting it.

I guess the TS version ripping plan has failed. :(

So let's get started with our former plan. First of all, big welcome to Speedtouch and HaggisHill.

Part 12's already done by HaggisHill, great job man. And I am going to do the time-stamps, hopefully they'll be ready by this weekend. Speedtouch, if you don't mind which part to choose, then how about part 11 for you? Thank you!

I just register an eMail account:
tg.subtitle@gmail.com
password: finalgear

We can use it to share files. Just please don't change the password when you log in:p

Part 11 done and sent.

Part 1 Done and sent
Part 2 Done and sent
Part 3 Done and sent - finishing for the night.

*clocks off*

Last edited:
Parts 9 and 10 done and sent. Can't do anymore tonight.