Environmentalist groups

I'll accept whatever is practical when it comes to the environment, but I'm not going to drastically alter my life for it. (Otherwise, what's the point in living in the first place=.)

I have geothermal heating, I shut lights and computers off when I don't need them, I recycle (I have maybe 4 to 6 bags of garbage a year), and I'm thinking about putting up solar panels at some point but...

I'm not going to buy an econo-box or drive like a grandma for the sake of the environment or fuel mileage.

You know, from the power that it takes to start up a computer, it actually uses more power to turn on a computer than leave it on for two hours.
I've heard this before... and I don't buy it.

I recently used a kill-a-watt to gauge how big of a UPS I need for my computer, and it did not seem to use significantly less power when on (and recently idle) as compared to startup and shutdown.

Now I didn't test "sleep" mode, but for that to be a benefit, I would imagine you'd have to set the "go to sleep" timer shorter than it takes to shut down and power up.
Otherwise the wait before going to "sleep" mode will suck up more power than it would take to shut down and start back up.
In my case that would be 2 minutes, and I think that would be highly annoying to set it that short.

I am handing out alot of +1's in this thread! :)

I'll accept whatever is practical when it comes to the environment, but I'm not going to drastically alter my life for it. (Otherwise, what's the point in living in the first place=.)

I have geothermal heating, I shut lights and computers off when I don't need them, I recycle (I have maybe 4 to 6 bags of garbage a year), and I'm thinking about putting up solar panels at some point but...

I'm not going to buy an econo-box or drive like a grandma for the sake of the environment or fuel mileage.

Now see, that is what should be done; put the power into the individual's hands, not forcing regulation. Forcing a human being to do something they do not want to do will only have a negative repercussion.

But that is a whimsical pipe dream, the environmentalists will only be happy when every human being is is gone from the Earth.

I, in all seriousness, foresee mass suicides committed in the name of the enviroment.

^^ I want facts, unbiased clear facts. I want options, real options not stuff invented by a bunch of kill joys, or people with their ow agenda. I want to do the best I can but echoing EPINSTI I still want to be alive! +1s from met too.

I hate them a lot one of my teachers who teaches Chemistry tried to explain it and all I did was laugh. She went on how we should all be driving a Prius and all that, funny thing is she made us give in a article on how a certain unit is used in chemistry is used, and a printed up a article on diesel and the look on her face was classic :D

I just think these people are more of those who follow just because they don't know shit, they need to realize that the car should be the least of our concerns as others stated. Sometimes I just tell em for the heck of it that my dad's Dodge Ram is cat less the look on their face is well a blast too see. I hate em with a passion.

Long Live the Petrol Head!

Or you could show them pictures of cadmium mines.

This happened shortly after the Prius came out and anyone knew about pointed out the mines.

I'd probably say, "Thanks! Between your Pious and my sports car, we're emissions neutral!"

:rofl: +1 I'm stealing that one.

You follow the policy I do, do what you can without going nuts. I honestly think if more people did this, and incentives were made (rather than laws forcing it) more people might be inclined to do it. +1 for your post.
ESPNSTI said:

According to Penn & Tellers tv show (so take it how you want) recycling is useless except for metals. More energy goes into removing the ink from used paper and plastic than it is to start fresh. Paper these days are made from tree's grown tree farms for the job. Land fills produce a large amount of methane which is used to produce power for the local community, and when the land fill is full, it's turned into a park or something (this is the case for the land fill in Burbank, California). They never addressed all the stuff they told us in school about decomposition and how it takes 10 billion years for certain things to decompose though.

One thing the eco nuts and the anti-nuclear people don't know/ignore/don't want to point out about nuclear power, is that the only reason why we have the "problem" with nuclear waste now is because of laws (at least here in the US). Thanks to Carter we can't recycle our uranium. From my understanding the spent uranium rods from large nuke plants can be re-used in smaller plants to continue to provide power after being reprocessed, until it's got a half-life that is of little consequence to the environment.

I'm sure most of you have probably seen this, but I think it's fitting.

[YOUTUBE]yi3erdgVVTw[/YOUTUBE]

Sadly....:rolleyes:

EDIT: Fixed thanks to Icebone

Last edited:
You should tell them that it doesn't run catalytic converters, and you run it rich to cool the engine (and to blow flames on overrun).
Actually mine does run pretty rich. I should take it somewhere to get it adjusted properly but that would go against my budget motorcycling philosophy (a.k.a. I'm a broke college student). Besides, I love the clouds of black smoke billowing out of my dual megaphones when I give it the beans. :cool:

Here is my view on the environment and the environmentalists groups (WARNING: The below statement is merely an opinion)

Most people in the so called environmental movement and simply looking for something to fight for. They have no clue what they are on about and go around bashing people driving large cars because they feel they are right. The one's that really infuriate me are those who want to close off all public land in the western united states to off highway vehicles. Could somebody please explain to me how me cutting a 10 foot wide path across a meadow is destroying the earth? Its not. The next best ones are the people who are so self righteous that they have the gall to drive around in a Prius telling other people that if they don't spend 25,000 dollars on a brand new car right now that the planet will die along with most of the people on it. Well, I for one, will take my chances. Also, driving your hybrid is not helping global warming. Do you honestly think that the reduced tailpipe emissions of say 10,000 cars will do much? This is especially true when you consider the other half of the environmental movement drives around in old school buses that are about a clean as a Chinese coal power plant.

GET OF YOUR HIGH HORSE YOU FREAKIN PHONY.

The world is heating up because of natural cycles. It has happened many times in the past and is, as somebody else said, concurrent with a world coming out of an ice age.

This is the TIME magazine cover from 1979
cooling.jpg

A mere 29 years ago people were freaking out that the world would become a ball of ice. These environMENTALists also seem to forget about the little ice age that finished barley 200 years ago. Also, if humans are warming the world with our pollution then what can we do to stop it short of reverting back to the stone age?

Whew, that feels better.

all that shit by me about driving a prius
You'd think with these types of people who also encourage recycling might at least show SOME respect to those of us who prefer to keep old cars in good condition, rather than going out and buying a brand new car which takes significant resources to produce.

I've heard, though never confirmed, that it takes more energy to produce a car than will ever be used in the life of the vehicle.

You're right on them being bored, but I also think it's the only thing these people have to latch onto that seems to matter to them because they feel it actually affects them. Malaria is no longer a problem for them, AIDS, Polio and hunger are no where near as problematic as in Africa, so what can they latch onto, cause god forbid they should consider helping fixing problems that are far more fucking significant than the the temperature rising a whole 4 degree's in the next 100 years.

This is the TIME magazine cover from 1979

A mere 29 years ago people were freaking out that the world would become a ball of ice. These environMENTALists also seem to forget about the
Whew, that feels better.

I remember as a kid (amazing how we all forget) how there was a big hole in the o-zone killing Australians. I also remember people worried that we were all going to freeze to death (as that time magazine cover tries to somewhat point out).

Also, in the US the Pious comes with tax breaks for its emissions and shit, right? In Australia it doesn't.

Ask your bleeding hearts if they'd still buy the Pious if it costs 1.5 times as much as a regular hatchback (its about Jazz sized, isn't it?) to fund the new and expensive tech in it? The Prius' price, in Aus, starts at double the cost of a Honda Jazz (if you look at getting the entry level 1.5L, its more than double if you buy a 1.3L).

As such, down here, Priuses are not that common or popular. You do see them on the road, but they are quite rare. People who want to buy a small car in that price range and save fuel would probably buy a Volkswagen Golf diesel instead, and buy a car that's actually good.

Also, in the US the Pious comes with tax breaks for its emissions and shit, right?
Yep. I didn't know that until I did my taxes a few days ago, and it pisses me off a little bit. If it's all about 'being green' then why don't I get a break for owning an old beater instead of a brand new car? Why don't diesel owners get a break?

If its all about being green, why didn't Toyota, Honda, etc make their hybrids with diesel engines instead? Then you'd have a mpg to brag about.

Chear, I never understood why Toyota's so called "hybrid" vehicles are petrol.

It's alot more complicated and expensive to make a diesel hybrid. I recall Peugeot had made a diesel hybrid 307CC and they said it's gonna cost 3 times what a regular 307CC costs, in the current market. That, AND all other things equal it's gonna be heavier.

Besides, I love the clouds of black smoke billowing out of my dual megaphones when I give it the beans. :cool:
Heh, my bike is a 2 stroke, and I have to premix the gas and oil because the oil tank is screwed up. There's a cloud of blue smoke everywhere I go, I love the looks on peoples faces :lol:.

It's alot more complicated and expensive to make a diesel hybrid. I recall Peugeot had made a diesel hybrid 307CC and they said it's gonna cost 3 times what a regular 307CC costs, in the current market. That, AND all other things equal it's gonna be heavier.
Not that I doubt you, but do you know any more info or links on that? I'd like to read up on it a bit.

It's alot more complicated and expensive to make a diesel hybrid.

Any idea on the complications? A combustion engine is a combustion engine.

The electric motor hardware I've seen is connected, but not integral to, the combustion engine. I can't see why it matters, when the interconnects between them (which would basically be the alternator to charge the batteries and the computers used to regulate their co-operation) are fuel agnostic.