Enzo vs F50 vs F40 vs GTO

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Well with the dawn of a new hyper-car from Maranello surely approaching I thought it might be a good idea to discuss the previous modern masterworks by Ferrari.

I've always been drawn to the F50. It's probably the 'underdog' of the four to most enthusiasts, but it seems like it would be the best true drivers car. Fantastic naturally aspirated F1-derived V12 (the unit in the Enzo is nothing like it, more of a road car engine, if you could call it that) and genuine manual transmission. The sound, too, is nothing short of shattering. An open-piped F50 is truly awe-inspiring:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-919398666610227238#

Anyways, discuss.

F40.

I am rather impartial to the GTO, seeing as it was my favorite out of all the model Ferraris I had as a kid. But I still give the nod to the F40 because it was really the last bare-bones down-to-basics mad supercar.

From Ferrari at least. You can still get an Ultima GTR or something along those lines.

I'll have to go with the F50. I was a child of the early 90's, so for me it was either the F50 or the Diablo. Of course, I always went for the Diablo, but of all Ferrari's I'll choose the F50. It's just so underrated, and even hated among car enthusiasts.

I want to say the F50 because nobody says F50.

But I'd be lying, the F40 is the winner, pure undiluted awesome.

The F40 for me. It's the car I loved the most in my youth. Even though I had that white Countach poster and an F50 model, I always loved the F40 more.

However, the drivetrain of the F50 is more aligned to my preferences. It's an N/A V12 hooked up to a 6 speed box, but again, the F40 does it for me so much more, despite being a TT V8. the GTO is also a favorite of mine, but the F40 wins out for me. Enzo doesn't stand a chance in this group.

I've always loved the F50, ever since I was a kid playing NFS II. I think the F40 is overrated and the F50 is severely underrated in awesomeness. I especially hate how Jeremy doesn't really like the F50 but has an orgasm over the F40 in 05x02. It just looks, sounds, and goes how a mad super car should. It is a bit ugly at the front, but the back is just perfect:

ferrari-f50-4.jpg

:drool:

Edit: Here is Jeremy's F50 review from old Top Gear:

Last edited:
In an completely subjective way, disregarding performance figures, prices, real-life suitability and everything that matters...

Hell yeah F40! By a massive margin.

Sorry, the 288 GTO

Out of that lot, I'd go with the F50 .. for the reasons enunciated by the OP. But, they are all rather vulgar ... and if I were to fork out megabucks for a Ferrari, it would be for a front engined '60s Ferrari .. they are the only ones that float my boat.

F50!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIwA3jT9MM&feature=related[/youtube]

288 GTO!
F40 was based on it and imo it looks prettier :)

F40 for me, it is the ultimate supercar.

The F50 has always been something of a bit of a softy to be. Not in technical ability, but in general feel/appearance. It only ever reminds me of LA and Need For Speed. The GTO and F40 are by far the prettier, and more appealing to me. I think given the choice I'd probably go for the GTO, but the F40 would be very close behind.

I really can?t choose.
The 288 GTO is probably the pretiest Ferrari ever made, in my opinion.
The F40 is an absolute classic and came out just when I was starting to get interested in cars, so even if it was a total failure, it would still have a place in my heart.
The F50 has the most awesome sound I ever heard a road car make (787B is not road legal, sadly :mrgreen:) and it?s proportions look just right. The fact that the engine is kind of a homage to the F1 engines of the V12 era also gives is a special appel.
The Enzo is a technological masterpiece, so it has a great appeal to me for reasons that are completely different. While I would consider one of the others at first, I am sure its monumental performance would win me over after a few minutes driving it.