Episode download size

Car(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO/ Holden Monaro
Does anyone else notice that the episode download size keeps gradually getting bigger and bigger? The past few seasons usually are around 1GB. Most of season 19 is around a gig and a half, but the 2nd part of the Africa special is 2.1Gigs... whats going on?

Yes the file sizes of the shows have gotten bigger, but the film quality of the show has improved. Probably, what you are downloading in is the HD version of the show, the file size increases increases with the film quality of the show.

We don't have control over this as we don't make the rips.

It used to be that filesizes were set to a hard limit (CDx1 size and CDx2 size). The old .avi rips followed this standard (1.4GB, aka 2 CDs, for the 720p rips). This is obviously an outdated rule because who burns things to optical media anymore?

I believe the current release rules (for the better .mp4) are based around a specific resolution and bitrate cap. The bitrate is dynamic though, lowering itself when it can in cases where a high bitrate is not needed. Some shows/episodes need to use a bitrate closer to the cap though due to what's actually in the video and that makes for bigger filesizes.

Or at least that's my understanding anyway.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the last two episodes are REALLY slow on downloading? I use to get 400-500K/sec down, while sending 300-400K up. Now I get 100K down and 500K up for the last two episodes.

I have about 50+ people in my peer list and 2 of them are sending data.

Leechers???

Might be, but over 2GB still seems a bit excessive for less than 1hr of tv.

But it's prettier than it ever has been.

Has anyone noticed that the last two episodes are REALLY slow on downloading? I use to get 400-500K/sec down, while sending 300-400K up. Now I get 100K down and 500K up for the last two episodes.

Leechers???

YES!!! I was doing about 400-600 kB/s for most of today download... currently doing 3.4 kB/s.

- - - Updated - - -

But it's prettier than it ever has been.

Yeah, but the 1.2-1.4Gig range was a good compromise.... save the prettiness for the 1080i download.

Leechers???

Hot torrents like this are almost always faster on DDL when they first come out. I downloaded it from Mega earlier today in less than 15 minutes.

Something else we don't have control over unless you want to donate lots of money to us for the leasing of more seedboxes. :)

Speeds will vary week to week depending on popularity and pure luck in who you end up connecting to.

Patience is a virtue.

I know its not finalgear's fault.... but its getting kinda out of hand. It took me 5 hours to download the 720p rip. And im on an 18Mbps internet connection.

took me 20mins. *shrug*

What resolutions are most popular? Viper can you get stats on which links are clicked the most? I've gotten to where I only download the 720 versions - have been the past couple years.

What resolutions are most popular? Viper can you get stats on which links are clicked the most? I've gotten to where I only download the 720 versions - have been the past couple years.

This is a very good point. I usually only download the 720p versions. Yesterday, due to time constraints of heading to the airport, I tried the Standard Definition and got burst speeds of over 1 MBps download. I finished the entire file in about 10 minutes.

I was thinking that more people are just waiting for the 1080 version and not wasting their time with the 720, or going with the Standard def., hence why my speeds for the Standard were insanely fast, while the other was less than 100 KB/s. :cool:

Then again it could be throttling from some folks. I only throttle up to 500k/sec on uploads.

The size does not bother me...I say the bigger the better. It helps you see Hammond dying his hair. :lol:

I get the 720 because 1080 is a tad too much for my TV PC to handle. Typically they download at 1.8MB/s for me via torrent - no significant dips along the way. I also limit connections to something like 50 peers per torrent.

I just grab the standard def because, even on my crappy connection, it downloads quickly and I can keep all of the episodes more easily.

IIRC he said on reddit somewhere that the 720p is the most popular and the 1080 is the least.