EPL 2009/2010

I honestly believe that Rafa should be made director of football, as he is good in the transfer market, but you need a better manager. Last year was a false dawn. Houllier had a similar year in 2001/02. Obviously there is no one better available at the moment so it would be nonsensical to get rid of the waiter.

However, once again, https://pic.armedcats.net/s/st/stevanford/2009/08/24/LiverpoolLOL.jpg

Although, if I'm honest, it looks like rafa is going to blow chunks here more than anything else. I guess he's been watching liverpool play.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that Rafa should be made director of football, as he is good in the transfer market, but you need a better manager. Last year was a false dawn. Houllier had a similar year in 2001/02. Obviously there is no one better available at the moment so it would be nonsensical to get rid of the waiter.

In the 5 years he's been managing liverpool he has spent 228,000,000 pounds on 78 (!?!?) players. :blink:

And he still only has two good ones.

People can blame the owners all they like, but Benitez is quietly ruining Liverpool. He blames the lack of backing from the board (like you say ?228m worth of "not supporting him") and he'll leave behind a threadbare squad totally reliant on two players and a trashed academy system that produced the likes of Carragher, Owen, Fowler and Gerrard.

I'm not going to say "it couldn't happen to a nicer set of supporters", but if they miss out on a season of Champions League money, it will be very interesting to see what happens next.

Especially considering that UEFA is considering a transfer ban for teams far in debt. Bye bye failacticos.

Especially considering that UEFA is considering a transfer ban for teams far in debt. Bye bye failacticos.

They'll never do it. UEFA hate English football, but Platini doesn't even bother hiding it. He bleats on and on about Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea and how their massive debt levels are a form of cheating.

And I agree with him. I agree they should be stopped.

As long as that is applied to Real Madrid. And Inter. Roma. Lazio. Valencia. Just about every top club in Europe (Germany excepted) is running at massive levels of debt, paid for by sugar daddies or financial trickery.

And UEFA don't want to do upset them. Just the English.

It is like the hooligan thing. If an English club had left another city in the state that Rangers fans left Manchester, they would be barred from competition. If English fans stabbed Italians or Turks, like Roma and Galatasary fans have, they would be barred from competition.

UEFA like to hold England to higher standards.

Edit: Just for comparison and debt spending. Liverpool owe about ?300m to the banks. Including transfer fees, wages etc, Real Madrid will spend ?420m this financial year. Which is the bigger problem?

Last edited:
They'll never do it. UEFA hate English football, but Platini doesn't even bother hiding it. He bleats on and on about Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea and how their massive debt levels are a form of cheating.

United were (and are) a very profitable club, and have only been in debt since Glazer bought us and secured his debt on the club. Debts aren't a problem, unmanageable debts are. Clubs like Burnley are in a far more dodgy position financially than United.

United were (and are) a very profitable club, and have only been in debt since Glazer bought us and secured his debt on the club. Debts aren't a problem, unmanageable debts are. Clubs like Burnley are in a far more dodgy position financially than United.

I'm not saying that the banks are going to be foreclosing on Old Trafford tomorrow, but I would like an explanation of how debt-free (at the end of this season) Burnley are in a "far more dodgy position financially" than Manchester United who are ?600m in debt and paying ?50m/year in interest on that debt.

Since when was living within your means a dodgy thing to do?

I'm not saying that the banks are going to be foreclosing on Old Trafford tomorrow, but I would like an explanation of how debt-free (at the end of this season) Burnley are in a "far more dodgy position financially" than Manchester United who are ?600m in debt and paying ?50m/year in interest on that debt.

Since when was living within your means a dodgy thing to do?

You aren't debt free, it's only a few months ago that you had to repay ?4m worth of debts (not saying due to the clubs fault). Burnley are better than most clubs, but it still would take very little to put the club into serious financial difficulties, whereas United could whether a hell of a lot. Liverpool is just a mess at the moment.

This weekend's matches

This weekend's matches

Saturday, 7 November 2009

Aston Villa v Bolton
Blackburn v Portsmouth
Man City v Burnley
Tottenham v Sunderland draw
Wolverhampton v Arsenal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, 8 November 2009

Chelsea v Man Utd
Hull v Stoke
West Ham v Everton draw
Wigan v Fulham draw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 9 November 2009

Liverpool v Birmingham

Thanks to BBC Sport

:)

You aren't debt free, it's only a few months ago that you had to repay ?4m worth of debts (not saying due to the clubs fault). Burnley are better than most clubs, but it still would take very little to put the club into serious financial difficulties, whereas United could whether a hell of a lot. Liverpool is just a mess at the moment.

Actually that ?4m was the clubs fault, the Clarets gambled on reaching the Premiership and thankfully it paid off. It shows how fine a line it is that they got away with it.

You are incorrect about it taking very little to put the club in difficulties. Like I said, the club will be debt-free at the end of this season, whether they stay up or not. Owen Coyle was given a budget, and the players wages are capped. (Maximum a single player is on is ?15k per week.)

The Board have budgeted to finish bottom while providing the team to give us a fighting chance. Unlike say Liverpool or Manchester United who budget for the ?30m Champions League money - which is why dropping out of the top four for them is absolute disaster.

Still, we just stuck three goals past two central defenders who cost over three and a half times our entire team.

Actually that ?4m was the clubs fault, the Clarets gambled on reaching the Premiership and thankfully it paid off. It shows how fine a line it is that they got away with it.

You are incorrect about it taking very little to put the club in difficulties.

You just contradicted yourself. If a club is taking financial gambles on getting to the Premiership, then they are clearly in a vulnerable financial state. It worked out this time, but what would have happened if it didn't?

No I didn't. I said last season they took a gamble - and not one I am happy with. Those losses, by the way, were the result of a decade or more of poor finances.

However, this year - they are doing precisely the opposite. The club will start next season completely debt-free, no matter what happens.

ARSENAL TO SECOND!! Suck on that, Mr. "two horse race," Dimitar Berbatov.

United, for once, actually did get totally screwed by the officials.

Still, serves Fergie right for crying wolf so often.

Tonight, Liverpool only managed a 2-2 draw with Birmingham, oops!

Their season has gone to shit at the moment and will not be helped if Torres comes back injured again from the international break just starting. (Spain play friendly games against Argentina then Austria.)

Tonight, Liverpool only managed a 2-2 draw with Birmingham, oops!

Their season has gone to shit at the moment and will not be helped if Torres comes back injured again from the international break just starting. (Spain play friendly games against Argentina then Austria.)

They should have lost as well but won a dodgy penalty.