EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

Actually, we were/are looking at Fabregas.

Yeah, I heard that too, I was just teasing you Man U supporters as well. :tease:

.. and Chelsea have the Villa at home on Wednesday, may be a lively game.

:smile:

I can't wait! Villa were impressive, although fortunate. They were entertaining on the counter, and on the other hand, the first half of Chelsea's first game was just fun to watch. It should be a good game. I expect Mata to start, since he was rested for the first game. Maybe an appearance by van Ginkel too?

Wednesday 21st August 2013
Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa

In the same match last December, Chelsea won 8 - 0.

Didn't see the highlights yet, anyone catch this?

. I expect Mata to start, since he was rested for the first game.

(From the BBC Sport Report)
Correct, subbed of after 65 minutes.

. Maybe an appearance by van Ginkel too?

Correct again, cameo for the last 6 minutes.

I was unable to watch the match, but was listening on the radio. Apparently it was a bit of a mess right at the death, some appeals for an Ivanovic red, and then another for a Terry handball. At the end of the day, there were some clear cut chances for Villa to go 2-1 ahead (I believe Weimann missed a sitter, and Benteke hit the post once or twice?). I do want to see replays of what happened right at the end, I hope to catch something this weekend!

I am paranoid about the Liverpool game, because the way we play seems to always open us up to the counter, and Villa have been brutal with their counter attacks. Their defense is no slouch either, especially considering that Liverpool's build up play is not exactly 1 touch, when Suarez isn't around.

Chelsea vs United will be a fun watch, and put a real marker down for one of the two of them, in the title race, while I expect City to put away these easier fixtures quietly and efficiently.

Tottenham vs Swansea will be a good watch too, since the two of them trounced the opposition on Thursday. I think there will be goals aplenty in that game.

West Ham vs. Newcastle will be a bit of a battle of mediocrity, but I think they are direct competitors for a top ten finish. Stoke vs. Sunderland is another "league table derby" as I like to call it. It's an important game for both of them to keep their heads above a relegation battle.

I was unable to watch the match, but was listening on the radio. Apparently it was a bit of a mess right at the death, some appeals for an Ivanovic red, and then another for a Terry handball. At the end of the day, there were some clear cut chances for Villa to go 2-1 ahead (I believe Weimann missed a sitter, and Benteke hit the post once or twice?). I do want to see replays of what happened right at the end, I hope to catch something this weekend!

Yeah, I got the drift of that from the written report.
I will see the goals replay at lunchtime Saturday on BBC1 Football Focus, dunno if you can blag a feed for that too. Likewise MotD is on BBC1 at around 22:30, with iPlayer release on Sunday, which I guess appears magically elsewhere on the Interwebs after that sometime.

I am paranoid about the Liverpool game, because the way we play seems to always open us up to the counter, and Villa have been brutal with their counter attacks. Their defense is no slouch either, especially considering that Liverpool's build up play is not exactly 1 touch, when Suarez isn't around.

But you guys are the away team, you should be doing the counter-attacking if Brendan sets you up right?

Anyway, when is Suarez back?

Chelsea vs United will be a fun watch, and put a real marker down for one of the two of them, in the title race, while I expect City to put away these easier fixtures quietly and efficiently.

Hmmm, the Special One goes to Old Trafford again.
Yeah, it should be a lively one. A real tester fo Moyes, but I gotta fancy Man U to edge a result. They are too good at this and a draw would a good result for City, so no one want's that.

Tottenham vs Swansea will be a good watch too, since the two of them trounced the opposition on Thursday. I think there will be goals aplenty in that game.

Sneaky feeling the Swans may get a result here. They got mullered* by Man U last time, but they are still a good side. Spurs didn't look so great at Palace, despite the win.

West Ham vs. Newcastle will be a bit of a battle of mediocrity, but I think they are direct competitors for a top ten finish. Stoke vs. Sunderland is another "league table derby" as I like to call it. It's an important game for both of them to keep their heads above a relegation battle.

Objective - to keep above Palace, Hull & Cardiff, as far as possible for as long as possible. Let the new guys all kill each other.

EDIT:
.. and a mention for Fulham v. Arsenal.

Fulham got a nice away win at Sunderland, whereas the Gunners were embarrassed by Villa.

Wenger needs a result and a good one at that. The great unknown is the lazy fuck genius of Berbetov. When he does three moments of magic, teams loose. It rather depends if he "turns up" or not.

EDIT2:

* Gerd M?ller - German goalscoring ledgend, Golden Boot winner, WC winner, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Anyway, when is Suarez back?

Last week of september, I think.

Ugly win away against Villa this weekend. Luckily Sturridge continues to score, and what a goal it was! Surely he will be joining Hodgy's troops for the internationals.

Saturday 24th August 2013

Fulham 1-3 Arsenal
Everton 0-0 West Brom
Hull 1-0 Norwich
Newcastle 0-0 West Ham

Southampton 1-1 Sunderland
Stoke 2-1 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool

Sunday 25th August 2013

Cardiff 3-2 Man City :shock:

Tottenham 1-0 Swansea

Wut? The Bluebirds have beaten City? Cardiff were a bit crap last week and City looked like a title chasing outfit they should be. A strange game, is football. No yellow cars issued, interesting / unusual. :think:

A couple of tidy wins for spurs and Liverpool, with some relief for Arsenal after a good performance against Fulham. Berbetov did do his thing once for the consolation goal for Fulham.

Chamak scored a nice classy goal for Palace, then wimped out during defensive duty allowing Stoke to score. :rolleyes:

Sturridge scored a great goal for Liverpool for the win, a very cool finish. :cool:

Saturday was rainy, dull and cold in England, which seemed to show in the number of dull draws.

What's with the Bluebirds playing in red? It seems to have sparked some controversies.

Guess they want to be on the winning side of things. Red>blue;)

What's with the Bluebirds playing in red? It seems to have sparked some controversies.

Guess they want to be on the winning side of things. Red>blue;)

Wiki said:
In 2012, Cardiff City was rebranded by the club's Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan. This included the change of the club's home colours and crest.

New home colours are, ... errr ... RED!

Well done by Cardiff!

And a great goal by Sturridge to win the game. I really fancy Liverpool, they've got great potential in the current squad. If they keep adding quality, and keep what they've already got, then they'll soon enough be challenging for the top 4 again. And they've shown with Suarez that they're not just going to let them leave.

Well done by Cardiff!

Yeah, it is also a cracking result for Man U & Chelsea clubs & fans, who have a match this evening at Old Trafford. Maybe a draw would not be such a bad result now, but I still think Man U will win one way or another.

And a great goal by Sturridge to win the game. I really fancy Liverpool, they've got great potential in the current squad. If they keep adding quality, and keep what they've already got, then they'll soon enough be challenging for the top 4 again. And they've shown with Suarez that they're not just going to let them leave.

Any ideas on who Liverpool may be targeting?

:think:

Andy Carroll, maybe?
/jk

Some more depth in the defence and a quality winger is what I'm guessing they're after. There were rumours about Willian at some point, before first Tottenham, and now finally Chelsea "took over" that deal :)

Not Chelsea? I don't know quite who I believe in for the title, but it's got to be either one of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea. Despite Citys loss yesterday.

In any case, we'll probably get a clearer idea about that later today :)

Monday 26th August 2013

Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea

An interesting tactical game with both of the new managers playing it "canny". Not saying that Mourinho & Moyes both played for the draw, but they seemed happy with it, with not much post-match moaning about bad Ref decisions, etc., for which they are each known. Rooney had a good game, in fact a pretty good performance by all on both teams. A fair result.

Re Man City: Have just seen the highlights, result maybe due to no Kompany playing and a rick by Joe Hart for one, possibly two of the goals.

Some more depth in the defence and a quality winger is what I'm guessing they're after. There were rumours about Willian at some point, before first Tottenham, and now finally Chelsea "took over" that deal :)

I agree, I think they have done well getting Toure on a free transfer already and hope that Coutinho keeps doing what he does well.

Not Chelsea? I don't know quite who I believe in for the title, but it's got to be either one of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea. Despite Citys loss yesterday.

In any case, we'll probably get a clearer idea about that later today :)
May be, but that 'new manager' - it all depends on how the players react when it becomes obvious that they will not win it this season.

Missed the game. It was Petr ?ech's 200th clean sheet.

For all the shit Moyes has been given about how he's going to completely fuck United over this year, I don't think 0-0 against Chelsea is a bad result at all. It was his 2nd EPL game for United.

It is not bad, but Chelsea is way more happy with it than United.