EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

Yeah, Spurs really are struggling compared to Arsenal and were hoping for 4th place UCL quali, which they are unlikely to get now. And if you feel bad, ask the many Man U fans here on FG how their season is going.

Now Cheer-da-fook-Up, things ain't so bad Gunner! :lol:

Sunday 2nd March 2014

Aston Villa 4-1 Norwich
Swansea 1-1 Crystal Palace
Tottenham 1-0 Cardiff

Benteke was back for Villa and scored twice to steady their nerves after going behind. If he carrieson like this, Villa should be OK. Norwich, I dunno?

Swansea scored first and were away in Europe on Thursday again, but looked a bit tired. Palace, looking more resilient under Pullis, then equalised and now look likely to avoid the drop.

Spurs also away in Europe last week, did OK and Soldado scored for the first time in 9 games or something. He looked good when scoring, but he should be up around the 25 goals by now and isn't.

Last edited:
Never has a team created so little and yet won 4-0! That's the sign of a champion!

tumblr_n24q5eMM7A1shaydvo1_250.gif

article-2576267-1C22156100000578-142_634x455.jpg

:D

Just shows how bad things can go wrong in the space of a couple of minutes. I dont know wtf they were thinking at the end, seriously pathetic and unprofessional.

The English FA Cup QFs made a bit of a mess of the EPL games this weekend, hence:

Saturday 8th March 2014

West Brom 0-3 Man Utd
Cardiff 3-1 Fulham
Crystal Palace 0-1 Southampton
Norwich 1-1 Stoke
Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham

A few signs of the real Man U appeared now and again, in a comfortable win over WBA. They are now 9 pts from the UCL 4th place.

Cardiff gave themselves a bit of hope with the three points against Fulham, but things really don't look so good for either team really.

Never has a team created so little and yet won 4-0! That's the sign of a champion!

Just shows how bad things can go wrong in the space of a couple of minutes. I dont know wtf they were thinking at the end, seriously pathetic and unprofessional.

Well the game seemed even for the first hour, with home team Chelsea having the best of it. Then a couple of defensive errors quickly lead to the first two goals. Ba was subbued on for a 15 minute cameo, but scored two more goals making the scoreline a bit flattering for Chelsea.

:smile:

Saturday 15th March 2014

Hull 0-2 Man City
Everton 2-1 Cardiff
Fulham 1-0 Newcastle
Southampton 4-2 Norwich

Stoke 3-1 West Ham
Sunderland 0-0 Crystal Palace
Swansea 1-2 West Brom
Aston Villa 1-0 Chelsea

Sunday 16th March 2014

Man Utd 0-3 Liverpool
Tottenham 0-1 Arsenal

Superb performance by Man C and especially David Silva, not surprising the Barca fans gave him an ovation mid-week too.
Kompany sent off after 10 minutes, they could have just fallen apart, but never looked bothered by Hull. Very impressive, serious title form.

Debut wins for Mel & Megath, Villa were great and Chelsea were a bit off form, so ignoring any disputed refereeing decisions and good win. (Jose got sent off as well. LOL)

Football is a cruel, cruel mistress Olle, but the last minute winner by Everton was deserved anyway. Cardiff were the only team in the shit zone, not to get any points this weekend.

Last edited:
Ugly game at Old Trafford, but still a deserved win I'd say.

Someone should slap Sturridge.

Just here to remind everyone that this happened today:
16-03-2014-GifNumber-204.gif

Ugly game at Old Trafford, but still a deserved win I'd say.

Someone should slap Sturridge.

Well yeah, that was a dive and Vidic shouldn't have got the card. However, Fellani (twice) and later Carrick both gave away "pens", which weren't given, on top of the the other two already given.

Liverpool just wanted to win more than Man U did. Very good performance by Liverpool and a deserved win.

Just here to remind everyone that this happened today:

* Snip Tomas Rosicy goal *

All local derby games are either a joy or a pain in the ass for fans.
Spurs maybe deserved a point and played well enough especially Adabayor, but again Arsenal had more to play for and belief in themselves. The Gunners defence was very good as well, none of that early season flimsyness about them now.

Liverpool & Arsenal equal on 62 points, two ahead of Man City and four behind Chelsea, but with games in hand.

Man City will probably win all their remaing home games, but have to play away at :
Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton.

If they win against all those four, then they deserve the EPL title this season.

I don't believe they will win all four.

Kompany will miss the Man U & Arsenal games, unless the red card gets revoked which I doubt. Earlier on this season, without Kompany Man C often went to shit, but have been better more recently.

EDIT:

.. and the Gunners "owe them one" for the 6-3 battering at Manchester. Ditto Liverpool to a lesser extent. (2-1)

Last edited:
All I have to say about today is:

Well and so you should be. Liverpool were great against Man U, but that's yesterday's news.

You have both Man C AND Chelsea at home to play soon. Both of which Liverpool could win and need to win, if they want the EPL title badly enough. (Gerrard does anyway.)

.. and, FFS, don't win the two "big" games above, then screw up against the relegation battling teams like Palace, Sunderland, Cardiff & West Ham.

Last edited:
Hahahaha, knowing Liverpool, that is exactly what will happen. As much as I would love for Liverpool to win it, this year, I feel that it's just one step too far

1896954_440121386091091_1078902623_n.jpg

Bigger squad, more money, better players and facilities and absolutely no difference whatsoever. I know people are saying "give him time" but to me the stats speak volumes.

Wow, is that true and not a PS?

Amazing stats conicidence. However, an unhappy season for Man U & fans to be sure. Some of us are sympathetic to you.

Your target is whatever and anything is still possible, but don't miss the Europa league place at least. You'll also be doing the Toffees a favour, they don't have the squad, budget or board ambition to have a Euro adventure.

As far as I know it's a genuine phone photo of a TV screen on Sky Sports. At least we got got the result against Olympiakos last night to save some blushes but I still think our best chance of UCL qualification is to win it and I don't think we have a snowflakes in Hades chance of doing that.

As far as I know it's a genuine phone photo of a TV screen on Sky Sports. At least we got got the result against Olympiakos last night to save some blushes but I still think our best chance of UCL qualification is to win it and I don't think we have a snowflakes in Hades chance of doing that.

Ah, OK and yes the Olympiakos result was good and getting to the last 8 is better than the Gunners and Man C did, which must cheer you up a bit. :smile:

What's the fan's consensus about the Europa League?
I know it's often seen as the ugly Bridesmaid's trophy in England, but it's a way of trying out a redeveloping squad and keeping you hand in too. I'd say it helped the holders Chelsea, in this seasons UCL.

:think:

Honestly that Olympiakos match was the best I've seen United play under Moyes. Very determined and consistent, both of which have been lacking this year. If only Moyes can convince his team of over-priced babies to play with such conviction every time, they may have a chance to finish within 20 points of Chelsea. :boohoo:

I honestly see no shame in playing in the Europa league. The teams in there are tough, and the argument of extra travel is becoming more and more redundant, seeing that more Eastern European sides are poking their noses into the Champions League group stages.

The only issue is that the Monetary reward is not the same as the Champions League, but I have this feeling that this will change at some point. It'll not ever be as prestigious, but it will get better.

It's a matter of perception, really. The games are fun to watch.

Saturday 22nd March 2014

Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal

:rolleyes:

Sorry Gunners, even I as a neutral, think the score looks like a bit embarassment.

But it's only three points, though Chelsea do have a slightly easier last games run in than Arsenal. You could still win the EPL, so chins up and move on.

I honestly see no shame in playing in the Europa league. The teams in there are tough, and the argument of extra travel is becoming more and more redundant, seeing that more Eastern European sides are poking their noses into the Champions League group stages.

The only issue is that the Monetary reward is not the same as the Champions League, but I have this feeling that this will change at some point. It'll not ever be as prestigious, but it will get better.

It's a matter of perception, really. The games are fun to watch.

Well good, I'm pleased to hear your positive viewpoint on the Europa.

Another reason for you should also keep it in mind as an option, is that Everton really want the place, probably more than anyone alse in contention. (They still are hoping for a UCL spot, but that doesn't look likely now.)

Any opportunity to tweek the noses of your local rivals is always a good thing. :lol: