EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

Shite defending once again by Liverpool.

On the other hand...

51987-Are-You-Not-Entertained-1a5I.jpeg

Suarez at 28 goals now, with 8 games remaining.. Not a long up to Ronaldo's record of 32 goals.. :)

Sunday 23rd March 2014
Tottenham 3-2 Southampton
Aston Villa 1-4 Stoke

Saturday 22nd March 2014

Cardiff 3-6 Liverpool
Everton 3-2 Swansea
Hull 2-0 West Brom
Man City 5-0 Fulham

Newcastle 1-0 Crystal Palace
Norwich 2-0 Sunderland
West Ham 0-2 Man Utd

Starting in the relegation zone, all seven of the bottom teams lost yesterday.

A couple of wins or draws in the final run in, could change things a lot, but Cardiff and Fulham have staggeringly bad GD totals. So if the end they are equal on points, as is possible, they will go down.

Palace were a bit unlucky not to get a point, when the Newcastle got a last minute winner. Cardiff just got Liverpool angry by taking the lead, then see what happened. Suarez & Sturridge were a bit awsome again and the rest of the team did well too, apart from a couple of defensive cockups. The Swansea score looks close, but the game wasn't really.

YYT got a hatrick for City and is now third ranked EPL goalscorer, even though he's a midfielder. He had a great game yet again, but Negredo's dry-spell continues which is not so good with Aguero out injured. (The City defence didn't play like idiots becasue Kompany was banned, as previously, but then Fulham didn't offer much anyway.)

Man U looked a bit more like themselves and had a good performance & win.

Shite defending once again by Liverpool.

On the other hand...

Yes we were entertained and I think Rodgers will fix the defence before next season, when he improves & expands the squad. UCL next year looks very likely now, wherever Liverpool finish in the top four.

Suarez at 28 goals now, with 8 games remaining.. Not a long up to Ronaldo's record of 32 goals.. :)

He should beat the record, unless he is not playing due to injuries or bans. And he also missed five games at the season start due to the big ban. (Eric Cantona got a 9 month ban for going Tonto once. :lol:)

Cardiff played really well in the 1st half :/

Yes they did and it just got Liverpool fired up.
I think Ole could be a good Coach in the EPL for someone, but going to Cardiff may not have been a good move. I like him and hope for his sake, they stay up, but their GD is bad and have Chelsea as their last game of the season.

:smile:

EDIT:

A good comeback by Spurs after going behind following defensive mistakes. I think Erikson will have a good season next year as he's had settled well and I hope that Soldado also does a lot better next year.

Everton look the stronger of the three teams aiming for 5th place at present. (Spurs also have a zero GD, more than a dozen behind Man U & Everton, this is not so good.)

Villa were very generous with space this week and allowed Stoke to get a comfortable away win. This was not the same Villa who beat Chelsea last week. They still a young team learning how to be consistant.

Last edited:
Tuesday 25th March 2014

Arsenal 2-2 Swansea
Man Utd 0-3 Man City
Newcastle 0-3 Everton

:?

What is really pissing me off right now is that the shocking result is Arsenal - Swansea.

When is this shitty season over?

Well, they are probably still thinking about the battering by Chelsea.
Similarly, Spurs went a bit wobbly after a loss against Man C or Liverpool, I think. It took a few games to re-focus.

.. oh, and May is the answer.

Wednesday 26th March 2014

West Ham 2-1 Hull
Liverpool 2-1 Sunderland

Another good result for Big Sam and West Ham, an advert to other Owner's of struggling EPL teams not to change your Coach, when things are going a bit shit. Also, I am still reasonbly confident that Gus will be able to save Sunderland from the drop. (Although, this is an exception to the hang on to your Coach rule.)

Why do I get the feeling that Liverpool is going to lose to Sunderland -_-

Sir Alex calls this time of the Season "Squeaky-Bum-Time".

When there is a big pile up in really important EPL, UCL and Cup fixtures, this the time is to keep your nerve. He won doubles and trebles several times, so he should know.

Saturday 29th March 2014

Man Utd 4-1 Aston Villa
Crystal Palace 1-0 Chelsea
Southampton 4-0 Newcastle
Stoke 1-0 Hull

Swansea 3-0 Norwich
West Brom 3-3 Cardiff
Arsenal 1-1 Man City

Well, a strange day at the top, with three of the championship contenders dropping points.

Arsenal's comeback against Man City was very impressive, compared to the disaster of the previous away game with City.They needed to show a lot of character after the two previous results resulted in so little, especially the 6-0 loss against Chelsea.

Palace deserved the win against Chelsea. But, Palace had the bigger desire to win on the day and Chelsea just didn't fancy it. Strange as they are top of the table and could ill afford to drop any points, much less loose the game. An unlucky og by John Terry, to be sure and he very nearly got an equaliser. Jose says he and "the Little Horse" cannot win the EPL title this year. (No, I don't believe him either.)

Man U had a little wobble, going behind early on, but then played quite well to win comfrortably in the end. Hernandez only got 15 minutes at the end, scored a goal but didn't look very happy. Maybe he is not in Moyes' future plans?

Southampton are probably the only team in the EPL who are having fun at present. A very good performance again and a comfortable win against the Magpies by four. The Saints have no relegation worries or no European possibliites and the only cloud on their horizon is that the bigger, more famous clubs in England or Europe, will buy their best players (Rodriguez, Lambert, Shaw and Lallana) or want their Coach.

A mad last few minutes at West Brom, with Olle's Cardiff getting a hard won point. A result which may not help either team.

Sunday 30th March 2014

Fulham 1-3 Everton
Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham (edited FT score)

And Liverpool are top of the EPL again, what a great weekend for them. Things started badly early on for Spurs, then just got worse really. (Sorry Red Bull). Suarez & Sturridge were again on sparkling form, with goals from Coutinho and Henderson. Sterling played very well too. Liverpool's home games against Chelsea & Man C are coming up in April and may be decisive as to who wins the title.

However, as we have all seen from the result at Palace yesterday, at this time of the season, absolutely anything can happen results-wise and probably will.

Fulham wre a lot better than the scoreline suggests, but really not worth a point even, so it was a fair result.

Arsenal cannot afford any more slip ups, as Everton are getting close, have games in hand and are playing very well again.

Those last 15 minutes were nothing if they weren't 'squeaky bum time'!

So it seems, it was mentioned as a bit of a tense time, but the result is the result. Just histrory now, eh?

Monday 31st March 2014

Sunderland 1-2 West Ham

Last edited:
Saturday 5th April 2014

Man City 4-1 Southampton
Aston Villa 1-2 Fulham
Cardiff 0-3 Crystal Palace
Hull 1-0 Swansea

Newcastle 0-4 Man Utd
Norwich 0-1 West Brom
Chelsea 3-0 Stoke

Starting with Man U this time, a very good performance again and again they looked and played like Man U should. This was a little strange as neither Rooney, RvP nor Wellbeck were playing. Mata scored two and was MotM, with Kagawa also having a good game. Newcastle's early season form & style, now seems a distant memory, they were a bit shambolic again.
(An interesting BBC stat: Who are the best EPL team in AWAY only matches?
Manchester United, wtf?

Chelsea rested Oscar, Luis and Hazard, gave "new" guy Salah a run out and he did really well along side Willian who was more dominant & hard-working in the MF than he is normally able to be, when Oscar plays. Chelsea needed a good performance and result and they got one!

I was hoping that the Saints would give Man C a bit more of a game than they did. Man C weren't in that great form, but actually won resaonbly easily. Saint's GK had to be replaced by a 22yo, who didn't look that comfortable to me anyway.

A nice away win for Palace, showed the "Pullis" effect rather well, an EPL manager with years of experience in keeping "low spending" teams in the league, versus Olle GS in his first job.

Norwich didn't win their "must-win" game against WBA, their GD is bad and they will probably go down.

EDIT:
This was announced after I made the above comment:
Norwich sack manager (Chris Houghton) and appoint Neil Adams - BBC Sport

.. and finally, congrats to: Leicester City promoted to Premier League after 10-year absence
Welcome back to the Foxes! :cheers:

EDIT:
Sunday 6th April 2014

Everton 3-0 Arsenal
West Ham 1-2 Liverpool

Everton worked harder, with more desire to win than Arsenal.
The Gunners looked depressed to be out of the EPL title race or something and are now in real danger of loosing a UCL place this season. Everton continue their strong finish to the season.

West Ham worked hard and were difficult for Liverpool to beat. Not much in the game really, so well done to the Hammers for their performance.

Last edited:
Monday 7th April 2014

Tottenham 5-1 Sunderland

Maybe the "cup run" boost of Sunderland has now run out. Not a good result at all, bottom of the league and time running out.

Spurs are probably a bit too far behind Everton and Arsenal now, to make the 5th Europa spot.

Well, Everton still has to face United and City in their last games, so they've probably got the hardest schedule of the three. They do have a game in hand though, so they might very well run off with 4th. Arsenal.. Really need to pull themselves together, it's quite impressive how fast their season went to shit.

I really hope Liverpool wint the league, but they still have to face Chelsea and City, two games that will probably decide the Premier League. All very exciting :D

Liverpool are in for a right shitstorm after some lucky calls by Clattenburg today. Still, felt like a deserved win.

Saturday 12th April 2014

Crystal Palace 1-0 Aston Villa
Fulham 1-0 Norwich
Southampton 0-1 Cardiff
Stoke 1-0 Newcastle

Sunderland 0-1 Everton
West Brom 3-3 Tottenham

Very important wins for Fulham and Cardiff, but another loss for Sunderland makes their future look a bit bleak. Everton replaced Arsenal in 4th place, who were playing in an FA Cup SF yesterday.

Norwich did have a few chances to score and the Fulham GK had a good game, a close match which somebody need to win, this time it was Fulham.

Southampton were pretty good as normal, but just didn't finish and score. A nice goal from the Cala won Cardiff the points, their GK also had a busy day, but kept a clean sheet.

The Newcastle team are mentally already "on holiday sitting, on the beach." Their drop in form in the last part of the season has been dramatic. I don't think that Pardew knows how to change this problem and he may well be going soon anyway.

Another mad draw at West Brom, who were three nil ahead and coceeded the equaliser in injury time again. Four points lost in a couple of weeks, though they may be OK but only just.

Sunday 13th April 2014

Liverpool 3-2 Man City
Swansea vs Chelsea -in progress

Erm, ok.

Hull City 5-3 Sheffield United

I don't do football, however as the entire city is in London the roads are empty.

Sunday 13th April 2014

Liverpool 3-2 Man City
Swansea 0-1 Chelsea

Both Chelsea and Liverpool got three points from their respectives wins, but in two very different games.

Chelsea wasted many chances from their strikers against 10 man Swansea, in a rather dull match otherwise. Ba did score again to get the win.

The Liverpool game more than lived up to the high expectation, it was fantasically exciting for neutrals. An injured (but playing) Kompany was largely responsible for all three Liverpool goals. First Sterling turned him inside-out for his goal, then Kompany let Skrtel go in a set-piece for the second and finally he mis-kicked a clearance, straight to Coutinho for Liverpool's winner. Perhaps he shouldn't have played.

After these two results, the ttle race is wide open between the three of them.
The EPL title will be won this season by the team who want it most. :think:

Erm, ok.

Hull City 5-3 Sheffield United

I don't do football, however as the entire city is in London the roads are empty.

OK, :welcome: to the EPL Thread anyway, well done to Hull and Steve Bruce. I think you have a good chance to beat Arsenal in the final.

Extremely important win for Liverpool today, and you could see it in Gerrards reaction. If there's any guy in the Premier League who deserves to win it, it's gotta be that guy.

Very interesting end to the season, Liverpool - Chelsea is going to be intense. And City are going up against Everton, who have been in fantastic form recently.